Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in a 3400 stall converter and everything is great except now my transmission shifts very late up around the 4000 RPM area.

any ideas on how to adjust it so it shifts normally?
any help would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
you have to adjust the TV cable up by the thorttle body..go to you tube and type in TV adjustment for mustang they have plenty of videos thats how i fixed mine when i got it back and it was shifting like yours...

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
double post........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i forgot to mention that i actually adjusted it multiple times both ways and it still reaches to 4000-4500 rpms before shifting when being driven normally. theres also a shift kit that was in the trans when i bout it, but i didnt have this problem until today after i finished my torque converter install. any other ideas? thanks!

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
How long has the converter been in? In other words, how many times have you driven it since the change?

Was the converter filled with fluid?
Is it slipping, or is it just where it wants to shift?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i took it on about 10 test drives since its been in after adjusting the TV cable.

other things i left out:

its a Rebuilt AOD with shift kit. 3.73 Rear Gear. Shifted pretty good before the converter.

Put a 3400 stall in it and now it wont shift till 42-4500 from first to second.

While doing the swap we broke the TV shaft that goes into the trans and replaced it with one that looked slightly different. (found it at the junkyard)

and no it isnt slippling its just going higher rpms before shifting, and i didnt put fluid in the torque converter but the people i talked to said it didnt matter.

·
Registered
372 Posts
best thing to do is take it to a trans shop and have them adjust tv cable i paid like 50 dollars for mine to be done but then you know if there is something wrong with the cable you have my original one froze up internally

·
Registered
423 Posts
You should at least put in a quart of trans fluid before installing the converter...You want some lubrication before it starts turning on a fresh install. Go over to clickclickracing and talk to Dan Gilsdorf (Silverfox). He knows everything about them he will know what to have you look at. It's more than likely the TV cable adjustment or the governor...Iv'e had this problem before. When you adjusted the TV cable on the TB it should only be moved little at a time. It doesn't take much to get it where it will shift correctly. Too much and it gets out of whack..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Most times when adjusting tv cable if not careful the adjustment portion will strip out and the cable will need to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts