Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i just rebuilt my aod and it already had a transgo reprogramming shift kit in it before the rebuild, and it shifts great and actually holds 2nd gear alot longer than stock obviously, but my question is, how come it shifts 1-2 perfect, 2-3 perfect, holding each gear long enough..... but when im in 3rd it shifts into o/d way too soon, at like 2800 rpm's??????:headscratch: its like it will shift into 3rd then a second later into o/d....is this bc of the kind of kit it is? or is this something different??...kick down cable is adjusted fine bc all other shift points are good...im curious if its jus a characteristic of the shift kit or might it be something the guy who rebuilt it messed up on?? please give me some feedback....i took out the 2-3 accumulator spring for harder shift into 3rd, if that makes any difference....thanks guys

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good question. What speed (mph) does this happen at?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Mine shifts right into OD at anything over 35mph, unless I'm getting on it, if i take 2nd gear to 35mph and let off the gas it goes 3rd then OD right away...but stays in 3rd at less then 35mph

·
Registered
211 Posts
I also have the Transgo kit, and when I had my transmission rebuilt, I had the governor upgrade installed as well. Under normal driving conditions, my LX never shifts into overdrive until I get to 55-60 mph. It will also shift back down into drive when I am at 50 mph. Under full throttle, the shifts happen much higher in the rpm band and it holds in third until I get out of the gas, then it will shift into overdrive. Talk to your transmission mechanic and ask him about it. You should also give Transgo a call and talk to their Tech. Department. In fact, you'd probably be doing both you and your mechanic a favor if you talked to Transgo first.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I put a transgo shift kit in my aod :badidea: had problems with the shift from 3rd to 4th since I was going to have to take it back out to to fix it :frustrated: ,i went ahead and bought a TCI streetfighter valvebody and solved that problem. wish I had thought of that first, the valvebody was only $75 more than the shift kit. now you put it in od it shifts liike a 4 speed automatic, shifts at 5000 rpms if you hold it. in third it will shift into 4th after 55 mph if you ease up just a hair on the throttle if not it will shift on its on about 80 mph

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
X2 with 91 LX....gotta go the new VB route.

·
Registered
292 Posts
X2 with 91 LX....gotta go the new VB route.

I'm going with a valvebody setup from silverfox. He can make each gear shift at a healthy rpm and the quality is excellent according to the people who have his valvebody.

www.silverfoxtrans.com

I'm getting the SPT-1. You let him know your car specs, hp/tq, and gear ratio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.