Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some research into using the 4R70W wide ratio gears and clutches in my AOD because I have to rebuild it anyway due to no OD. Not sure how the previous owner drove it but with only 80K miles, a burned up OD band shouldn't have happened (maybe too much AOD shuffle?).

I've gone to the TCCOA site and reviewed their transmission interchange tips and it looks like it should work without too much trouble. Need to get a good used 98 or newer 4R70W.
One issue is that the standard length 4R70W is 7/8" longer than the standard length AOD.

Has anyone done this gear swap and is the added 7/8" only in the output housing and shaft? I plan on using the AOD output shaft and housing so I don't have to change driveshafts for this length change.

Thanks

Gary93
93 LX 5.0 convert

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I'm doing some research into using the 4R70W wide ratio gears and clutches in my AOD because I have to rebuild it anyway due to no OD. Not sure how the previous owner drove it but with only 80K miles, a burned up OD band shouldn't have happened (maybe too much AOD shuffle?).

I've gone to the TCCOA site and reviewed their transmission interchange tips and it looks like it should work without too much trouble. Need to get a good used 98 or newer 4R70W.
One issue is that the standard length 4R70W is 7/8" longer than the standard length AOD.

Has anyone done this gear swap and is the added 7/8" only in the output housing and shaft? I plan on using the AOD output shaft and housing so I don't have to change driveshafts for this length change.

Thanks

Gary93
93 LX 5.0 convert
Yes the 7/8th inch is in the output shaft and the extension housing. When you use the aod output shaft, use the AOD torrington bearings on that surface, because the 4R set is hardened more so than the AOD output shaft and accelerated wear will occur If you use the hardened bearings from the 4R on the AOD shaft.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Thanks Ixarlo for the reply.
I'm a little surprised that there are different hardness levels for bearings but I'll make sure to use the AOD bearings.
How did you like the wide ratio gears of the 4R70W? Did you notice a performance difference at launch or at the 1-2 shift?
Thanks again.

Gary93

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I'm a little surprised that there are different hardness levels for bearings but I'll make sure to use the AOD bearings.
How did you like the wide ratio gears of the 4R70W? Did you notice a performance difference at launch or at the 1-2 shift?
Thanks again.

Gary93
I built that trans just to have it. It is still sitting in the garage. the only time it was run was for a couple of runs around the block in a co workers 91 coupe with 4.10s. I need a valve body to calibrate the shift points, but yea the car was traction limited when I drove it. Fun!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Thanks again.

Gary93
I built that trans just to have it. It is still sitting in the garage. the only time it was run was for a couple of runs around the block in a co workers 91 coupe with 4.10s. I need a valve body to calibrate the shift points, but yea the car was traction limited when I drove it. Fun! The 1-2 shift is extremely short if you are not wide open, so It will need to be calibrated with a valve body.

Click Click Racing - Click Click Racing has all the info you ever wanted to know about this swap, and there is also a guy that will sell you a valve body ready for this swap. Goes by the sn of SilverFox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts