Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I need some help with my 94 GT , 5.0L. I have a 94 GT with the AODE transmission. I have checked all the tech article's, I can find. My tranny has started to jump out of OD, then slip coming back into OD. Yes. I know the auto transmission are not as durable as the 5 spd. .I have had many manual before now. But I am not interested in switch tranny. My question's are what other ford/mercury/lincoln automatics tranny can I use beside the mustang? The AODE was used in the towncar, crown vic, grand marquis. Does anyone know what is the different in the transmission ? Can, I use a crown vic , lincoln etc. transmission and change the tailshaft ? Is the crown vic transmission built tougher ? All good information's is welcome. thanks.in advance for your help

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Hi, everyone. I need some help with my 94 GT , 5.0L. I have a 94 GT with the AODE transmission. I have checked all the tech article's, I can find. My tranny has started to jump out of OD, then slip coming back into OD. Yes. I know the auto transmission are not as durable as the 5 spd. .I have had many manual before now. But I am not interested in switch tranny. My question's are what other ford/mercury/lincoln automatics tranny can I use beside the mustang? The AODE was used in the towncar, crown vic, grand marquis. Does anyone know what is the different in the transmission ? Can, I use a crown vic , lincoln etc. transmission and change the tailshaft ? Is the crown vic transmission built tougher ? All good information's is welcome. thanks.in advance for your help
I assume you’re looking for used ones, but these are supposed to be pretty good.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Actually, 01TD, I'd say the automatics (at least the C4, C6, FMX, AOD-E and 4R70W) are usually MORE reliable than the T5s, not less. T5s are very smooth shifting, efficient manual transmissions, but they are also notorious for breaking if you powershift them. Longevity of any transmission depends on how you drive them, and what year. The old AOD-E was a big step up from its non-electronic, but fussier predecessor, the AOD. AOD was notorious for its mediocre shift quality, and horrible mechanical lockup converter system. The AOD-E addressed most of those problems, and was significantly better on all counts, but it got upgrades later on, and together with a lower first and second gearset and some updates for reliability, became the 4R70W.

I think if I were you, I'd see about getting your current transmission rebuilt. That way, you won't have to change any of the electronics responsible for shifting yours, or worry about adapting a different model to fit your car. Externally, the electrical connectors for AOD-E and 4R70W are different. Internally, the AOD-E and 4R70W are very similar, and almost all of the parts interchange. This means that all the upgrades they came up with later that made the 4R70W so reliable will also work in your transmission. If you have a reputable transmission shop rebuild it, they'll almost certainly replace things, getting rid of worn/outdated parts and adding things like the mechanical diode to your transmission for example. (I know that sounds like a made-up part, but it's not, and it greatly improved and simplified your transmission's design)

It is very common for your transmission, once properly built, to last for 250-350k miles under mild use. Even if you flog it, you will get many many miles out of it before the friction materials inside need to be rebuilt. It is even possible that your OD problem is a simple wiring issue, and may not require a full rebuild of the transmission to fix.

For those of you with AODs, I'm not picking on you. It's true that most of the 'good stuff' from the 4R70W fits in your transmission too, and almost all the issues with AODs can be fixed with a little knowhow and lot of money. =)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks everyone for their response. I appreciate all the information's that was shared. I am new to this forum, but not new to Ford's. This mustang is mine # 60 ford . Currently project is the 94 mustang. The current true mileage is only 72,125 on this car. This car was sitting for over 3 years , before I purchased it. Then covid-19 hit and it set for around 20 month's. Before I could work on it. Which, is why I was seeking an alternative AODE transmission. There are a lot of transmission shop's in my area. But , I trust less then 15 % of them. Which ,is another reason, I prefer buying a used transmission. I have heard to many bad story.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Hi, thanks everyone for their response. I appreciate all the information's that was shared. I am new to this forum, but not new to Ford's. This mustang is mine # 60 ford . Currently project is the 94 mustang. The current true mileage is only 72,125 on this car. This car was sitting for over 3 years , before I purchased it. Then covid-19 hit and it set for around 20 month's. Before I could work on it. Which, is why I was seeking an alternative AODE transmission. There are a lot of transmission shop's in my area. But , I trust less then 15 % of them. Which ,is another reason, I prefer buying a used transmission. I have heard to many bad story.
The problem you may run into is that these transmissions are generally either in use, or have been sitting in a junkyard for too many years, and will require rebuild anyway. The myriad connector types and tailshaft lengths also tend to make them tricky to swap directly. In order to be sure, you'd for sure 1) want to get one the same year as your car, and 2) grab a tape measure and make sure it's the right length.

Even then, your speedometer may be off, depending on what gears were used on the shaft inside.

Any passenger car with a 5.0, or the V6 within the '92-01 year range should work. The V6 will probably need a couple extra clutches added to handle the additional torque of your V8, but it will physically bolt up, and should be virtually 'new' inside because that 6 banger doesn't have enough torque to stress them. The year range I am describing is of course both the AOD-E and 4R70W. You can also find these under Mountaineers and Explorers, but make sure to get the 2WD version, as the tailshaft's pretty different in the 4WD.

Your "problem" with any of these alternates is going to be all the electrical connectors, which will be very different from what your car came with. AOD-E was not produced long, so they may be rather hard to find.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
What’s a used transmission cost? Everything that you’ll be looking at will be over twenty years old. What if you end up in the same situation as you are in now a few months after install? I think a new oem replacement can be had for around $1,200. How much would it be to have yours rebuilt? Much more than a used one?
It looks like you can use a 4r70w. This guy used one from an ‘02 V6 mustang in his ‘94. He said there are some modifications needed but he didn’t go into detail.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
What’s a used transmission cost? Everything that you’ll be looking at will be over twenty years old. What if you end up in the same situation as you are in now a few months after install? I think a new oem replacement can be had for around $1,200. How much would it be to have yours rebuilt? Much more than a used one?
It looks like you can use a 4r70w. This guy used one from an ‘02 V6 mustang in his ‘94. He said there are some modifications needed but he didn’t go into detail.
The 02+ 4R70W will bolt up and can be made to work, but there's another issue involved: The transmission does not have a provision for a mechanical speedometer. Not sure if that would cause you trouble or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts