Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
many say sport car = manual
but with an automatic 5 speeds can we
have fun with that or it`s just too lazy ?
:shrug
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I was dead set on a manual until I drove the auto. Good shifting gear box on it no doubt. With the auto it's just point, aim, and shoot. No worries about shifting gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Too lazy. Get a manual. Have you ever heard of someone saying "man, one time I had this sweet car, but it was a manual. If only it were automatic that would have been the perfect car." I haven't, but I've heard the opposite many times. Maybe if you are going to be in traffic ALL the time, or just don't like driving, go with the automatic. But why subject a Mustang to that? Get a beater if it is just for stop and go, stop and go all day long.

Really ends up being get whatever you want. I don't know of many people that have learned to drive stick who then prefer auto, unless they are hauling kids or there is some other compromise. Personally, I think it is a crime to put an auto in a mustang GT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Of course you can have fun. It isn't a question of lazy or not. The question is are you going to spend your money on what you want? Or on what someone else says you should spend your money on?

Case in point. When I bought my car, a guy I worked with said I should of bought a <insert car here>. I said "I was at the dealer. I made the deal. And when it was time to sign the finance papers, you were nowhere to be found. So I bought this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
My last 'Stang ( a 99 ) was an Auto. This time around I went for the manual transmission. I must say that I like the manual better. (perhaps it is because the Mrs. can't drive stick :naughty)

Regardless, it is all personal preference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
I wanted the 5-speed but my wife wanted to drive it and the ordeal of teaching her to drive stick in the Saturn was so horrific that I was not willing to risk the Mustang. So I got the auto - I am very pleased with it - it's smooth and quick.

But there are still things I miss about stick, the cornering control - and damn, when I am on mountain roads my left foot just keeps going for the clutch - the manual certainly offers more control without getting on the brakes all the time.

Speed-wise. A guy near my office has the twin of my GT except his is stick. We took off one day and were bumper to bumper all the way up to 65 - then we called it. I am pretty sure much above that he would have pulled away from me. But for the most part there won't be much if any difference between the two - unless you get a really good driver on the stick.

I also miss a manual when I am anywhere above 60 and want to jump - nothing to downshift to. :winks

But all-in-all I am pleasantly surprised with the auto and when I am coasting from light to light in the lovely So Cal gridlock, I am glad I have it.

Ironically, my wife has only driven the car ONCE since I got it in October. :doh:

But, she did let me buy it. :happyhapp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,170 Posts
jiobao said:
I wanted the 5-speed but my wife wanted to drive it and the ordeal of teaching her to drive stick in the Saturn was so horrific that I was not willing to risk the Mustang. So I got the auto - I am very pleased with it - it's smooth and quick.

But there are still things I miss about stick, the cornering control - and damn, when I am on mountain roads my left foot just keeps going for the clutch - the manual certainly offers more control without getting on the brakes all the time.

Speed-wise. A guy near my office has the twin of my GT except his is stick. We took off one day and were bumper to bumper all the way up to 65 - then we called it. I am pretty sure much above that he would have pulled away from me. But for the most part there won't be much if any difference between the two - unless you get a really good driver on the stick.

I also miss a manual when I am anywhere above 60 and want to jump - nothing to downshift to. :winks

But all-in-all I am pleasantly surprised with the auto and when I am coasting from light to light in the lovely So Cal gridlock, I am glad I have it.

Ironically, my wife has only driven the car ONCE since I got it in October. :doh:

But, she did let me buy it. :happyhapp
I agree, what I like most about the manual is the cornering control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I agree, what I like most about the manual is the cornering control.
Hi guys, I wanna jump in here and ask about the "corning control" you two just mentioned. Can you give me the idea of what that means? I think I know (because I have had a few stick cars) but let me know what you mean please.

Thanks,

As far as the topic.... Looky at what I did! I ordered an '06 STICK and I am driving an '05 automatic..... I agree with the idea a Mustang should have a stick to be "driven" and enjoyed but I am an extreme "motor head". The only thing on the lot in my area was the automatic.

Russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Yep... in order to keep peace in our family an automatic was a given... I thought what the heck... I'll just get the auto and be done... but DANG, this tranny is good! I've done a little tweaking of the transmission shift shedules with my X-Cal2... Let's just say it made the car even more sporty! LOL! No more shifting into 3rd gear by 16MPH! LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
It was a tough call to make. My daily driver is a chevy s10 with a stick. I have been driving it for about 15 years. I dont want to shift anymore. This car was on the lot with auto. I kept asking myself, "how can you put an auto tranny in a car like this?" , but after driving it awhile, I am very happy with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Using the gears to decelerate and accelerate - it's much more a refined and quick response in a manual - also, with the lag in WOT on the new Mustangs I think it is a little more exaggerated in an auto than a manual and makes it a little tougher to hit that sweet spot in a turn where you need to apply the power.

However, after I loaded the Xcal I get the instant response and I had to relearn how to dirve after hitting the first turn and going "whoa! there be instant power there!!!" :bouncer

With the tune the auto is MUCH more responsive.

Gig4Fun said:
Hi guys, I wanna jump in here and ask about the "corning control" you two just mentioned. Can you give me the idea of what that means? I think I know (because I have had a few stick cars) but let me know what you mean please.

Thanks,
Russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Well,

This often starts a lot of arguments about which is better, but here are my thoughts is no particular order:

1) The stick is a little more fun when there is no traffic. Living in Atlanta, the stick gets old really fast...

2) I guess I am a little older want my toys a little more refined.

3) If you think driving an Auto GT is not fun, check you pulse...

4) Auto is handy to have the wife drive home after a few beers ( wife does not drink )

5) My 40 year old knees would probably revolt after a few hours behind the wheel of a stick...

6) This is the best auto ever put in a mustang from the factory. I could not out shift it.

7) If you really want to mod the car, get the Stick. The programming for the auto is far more complex and makes mods more difficult.

8) In the 1/8 mile, it is a stick driver race to lose. The auto can easly hold it's own in the 1/8 mile due to lowere first and very quick shifts right at the red line. However, 4th gear is higher in the auto and the stick pulls ahead ( not by much ) in the 1/4 mile. This is also why the auto is rate 1mpg higher than the stick in HWY milage.

9) I do miss being able to push in the clutch in a parking lot and scaring little old ladies by reving the engine....( Yea yea.. like you have never done it :winks )

10) Quite listen to me or anyone else, get what you want.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Auto
Cant miss a gear.
Cant outshift it.
Torque Multiplication!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Auto all the way...
This 5 sp auto is such a nice piece of engineering, it's not even funny !
For me Ford scored BIG time with this one, let me tell you...
Ok, with a manual you can choose your gears, so what ? Sometimes, by some answers I read, it seems that many people need to have a stick just to increase their virility in the eyes of the world.
And please, let the argument "stick = the only choice for a real sports car" die in peace: in Formula 1, the highest level of racing in the world today, the last time sticks were used was somewhere in the late 80s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
ok, here's my $.02

Stick: more Horsepower & Torque to the ground.

check the RWH/RWT of a stick vis-a-vis the Auto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
Stick: more Horsepower & Torque to the ground.

check the RWH/RWT of a stick vis-a-vis the Auto
Say What???
Same buddy same RWHP and RWT at 1:1
That is determined by the engine.
As for in between 1st and 4th you better learn a bit about autos.
And then lets talk torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
ixtlan said:
Say What???
Same buddy same RWHP and RWT at 1:1
That is determined by the engine.
As for in between 1st and 4th you better learn a bit about autos.
And then lets talk torque.
Drive train loss is always a factor. Have you seen the posted butt dyno numbers. Take a look at everyone who has the numbers. There are several on this site to read.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top