Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on gears for my 11' V6 and I think I'm going with 4.10's. I grew up on old school 60's muscle and my philosophy was if you're going to gear it ....then GEAR IT! :winks

With the steep 6th gear I think 4.10's will still be ok for the highway. (est 2400RPM at 70MPH)

Have I totally lost my mind?

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
625 Posts
matter of perspective. If you can tolerate the higher rpm's and reduced fuel economy then the trade off is better acceleration. I'm sure everyone here will not dispute the benefit of gears, but the debate that most commonly occurs is purely matters of personal preference and experience. If you said 4.55 or something larger, well then that is a different story, but 4.10's are awesome IMHO.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm trying to decide on gears for my 11' V6 and I think I'm going with 4.10's. I grew up on old school 60's muscle and my philosophy was if you're going to gear it ....then GEAR IT! :winks

With the steep 6th gear I think 4.10's will still be ok for the highway. (est 2400RPM at 70MPH)

:bigthumbsup[/quote

I don't think so Kona :bigthumbsup At the lights she'd be a little weak making a 4th gear 1/4 mi pass at 6250 rpm with a manual trans and stock rubber.. 26" DRs would cure that.. but I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new. I love my 3.73s .. the 1-2 comes fast. I suspect I'd love 4.10s also.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What ratio do you currently have?

I'd say 3.55's or 3.73's are more than enough gear on the V6.

I went from 3.31 to 4.10 in my GT and it was a huge jump.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had 4:30's in my 07 and it was awesome.

To make up for the lower torque on the 11 V6 vs the GT, I would be all over 4:10's or 4:30's and there is a guy on one board who can't stop smiling after doing 4:56's on his 11 V6.

Don't fear the gear man, just do it :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I'm putting the 4.10's in!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is there 3.90s? The 410s will be fun for a while but may be a pain in the a-- after a while.

·
Registered
585 Posts
ditto on the 4:10's happy happy face. i have the 2010v6 auto with the AM frpp cai/race tune and 4:10's, it it a totally dif car. it is just a torque monster. a head snapper.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Yes, you've lost your mind. Don't put higher gears in a car which are unnessecary to get a little more speed on a 1/4 mile. A V6 won't do sh*t to begin with compared with the 5.0 which is the flagship upgrade for the Mustang. I don't know why you went with a V6 Mustang at 305HP when you could've bought a 5.0 at 412HP which would've solved any of your perceived problems. The V6 will never be as fast as the 5.0 with equal upgrades.

[[[smoke]]]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey smoke, glad to see your wonderfull attitude. Your post made me feel so much better about my purchase.

Anyway, I was wondering about the same thing. Part, a very small part, of the reason i bought the v6 was it is going to be my daily driver year round and i was conserend about the hight torque of the 5.0 in winter conditions. I do want to add a couple of addons to boost my v6 a little.
Now to my question, do you think the 4.10 would causs a problem with wheel spin in the winter? I am planning on picking up the best winter tires I can for this car and I am already slightley conserend about take offs. I would like the added push with the 4.10s but realisticly, am i going to be spinning my tires and going nowhere fast in winter conditions? I think i already know the anwser.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes, you've lost your mind. Don't put higher gears in a car which are unnessecary to get a little more speed on a 1/4 mile. A V6 won't do sh*t to begin with compared with the 5.0 which is the flagship upgrade for the Mustang. I don't know why you went with a V6 Mustang at 305HP when you could've bought a 5.0 at 412HP which would've solved any of your perceived problems. The V6 will never be as fast as the 5.0 with equal upgrades.

[[[smoke]]]
Be careful there smokeape, these v6 guys can get pretty testy! If there is one thing I have learned arguing with import and v6 mustang/camaro owners, it is that they never quit. No matter how much you explain "no replacement for displacement" it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Be careful there smokeape, these v6 guys can get pretty testy! If there is one thing I have learned arguing with import and v6 mustang/camaro owners, it is that they never quit. No matter how much you explain "no replacement for displacement" it doesn't matter.
I never can figure out guys like you and Smokeape. First, 'Smoke' doesn't list a Mustang of any kind in his sig or profile. Not sure he's an authority on 'Stangs or not.

Second...someone asking a question about altering the final drive of their V6 Mustang is not tantamount to declaring them the king of Mustang performance. Looks more like you V8 guys are the ones who instantly get defensive and start grabbing poo from your butts and slinging it on the board.

This is a 2011 Mustang forum. Not a V8 forum, or a V6 forum. If you don't have anything constructive to add to the dialogue I think most people here would appreciate it if you would just back off.

Oh...and your 95 GT? Most tuned and built '11 V6 Mustangs are going to walk you all day long. Count on that.

"There's no replacement for displacement" eh? Yeah, I have a replacement for displacement...it's called technological and engineering advancement. Look it up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
See...there I go getting all steamed up over nothing.

Sorry guys...Smoke, RoadWarrior...no offense met. I had this same habit when I was a kid. I'd see someone I thought (often imagined it) was getting picked on and I'd just run over and jump in the middle of it.

We should all just go give our Mustangs a quick swipe with the detailing spray and just appreciate how lucky we are to own one. Any one.

Yes...even a II for you die-hard folks out there. Even a II.

And Warrior...I had a 95 GT. Loved the hell out of that car. Had a 2001 GT 'Vert. So I'm no hater when it comes to V8 Mustangs.

Honestly I just love the new V6. Love it. Can't really explain it other than it is a blast to drive and tweaks the engineering geek in me.

Gee thanks, Georgia Tech.

Peace fellas. I'll try to not be a jerk in the future. :yup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
And I don't see why V8's & V6's can't just get along seriously grow up people we are a community of MUSTANGS not segregated by cylinders.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I guess insurance and gas mileage never occurs to some people, oh well...

Just remember the '11 v6 is only half a car length behind the outgoing '10 GT. Slap some 4:10s and a tune on, and you can run with stock v8s. Not bad for a v6 with 45 less torque!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Unless you plan on spending most of your time on the drag strip DON'T DO IT!
3.73 will be more than you need.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.