Ford Mustang Forum banner

BAMA Tunes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an 07 sixer and wanting to have it tuned. I would go put it on a dyno but was wondering if the bama tunes were any good as I've heard some people say bama was and and dome say they were good?

·
Super Moderator
4,307 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

The General consensus is just say no to BAMA, but your choices seem to be more limited due to the 6’er

·
Registered
2007 mustang 4.0
20 Posts
Got an 07 sixer and wanting to have it tuned. I would go put it on a dyno but was wondering if the bama tunes were any good as I've heard some people say bama was and and dome say they were good?
Yes they’re great. I’ve been running my 4.0 at the 93 octane tune for over a year now and I love it. You’ll definitely feel a boost in torque especially if you already have some mods. The 87 tune isn’t as good but it’s still quite noticeable when you put your foot down.

The other great thing about the handheld bama tuner is that you can change the tune whenever you want without taking your car back to the dyno.
Plus it reads dtc codes and gives you a cool custom gauge display that everyone mentions when they get in.
I highly recommend it

·
Registered
814 Posts
It depends on what mods you have. I started out with just a Airade Race cold air intake. Tune was good. Added charge motion delete plates; tune was good. But when I added cams troubles began. Then added long tube headers and troubles persisted. Don't get me wrong, it was drivable, but not quite right. Went back and forth with revisions, but never got it bugged out. Finally took the advise of many on here and got a tune from Manuel "Lito" Pazo. Night and day difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,307 Posts
I didn’t realize Lito was doing 6 cylinder tunes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Also I've been told to just take it to my Ford dealership but what type of tune do they use?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I didn’t realize Lito was doing 6 cylinder tunes.
I don't know that he does. Just letting the OP know my experience with BAMA. But never know, it might be worth asking him for those with the V6's.

I'm in the same boat. Also I've been told to just take it to my Ford dealership but what type of tune do they use?
To my knowledge, dealerships will not do custom tuning.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Bama is probably OK for limited/standard modifications, but don't expect any miracles. There have been quite a few complaints about their tunes recently, but probably a lot more that work fine that we never hear about.

It would be better to find a tuner who will work with you to datalog and adjust the tune based on the datalog. That is what Lito does, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure he only tunes the 4.6 3V and I don't know anyone who works that way on the V6.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I don't know that he does. Just letting the OP know my experience with BAMA. But never know, it might be worth asking him for those with the V6's.

To my knowledge, dealerships will not do custom tuning.
Back in 2008, I had the dealer install a Ford Racing tune for my V6. They had a process whereby you sent Ford Racing your PCM ID number, and they would write a tune. Mines was for 91 octane minimum. They sent you the tuner and you would take it to the dealer for installation. I was very happy with the tune and never had any warranty issues. You may want to inquire if you are interested.

Reactions: Jeremy Weigel

·
Registered
55 Posts
I will chime-in my two cents. ....not worth the aggravation. I have a 2012 V6 manual. Changed my tune twice and changed it back to stock and used it to clear a DTC code for O2 rear bank sensor. My internal monitoring system would not become ready again (all sensors) because I cleared the code but didn't do the work. Wound up in an endless cycle between American Muscle, Bama, Dealership, and local repair center. Be very careful with messing with the OBD II if you aren't really all knowing in these things otherwise you could be causing yourself unintended grief and can almost brick your cars system. I think my issue ultimately wound up being the firmware was out of date but to this day my oil life monitoring system doesn't work anymore. Not that I needed it anyway.

Don't get me wrong I loved how it drove on the tunes, but not worth messing with your electronics for it. Dealers and local mechanics don't want to deal with the BS when there is no code being thrown.

·
Registered
2010 Mustang V6, Torch Red
10 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

The General consensus is just say no to BAMA.
I looked at MPT's site, doesn't look like they do anything before 2011. I have a '10, and the @OP was looking for a tune for an '07.

·
Super Moderator
4,307 Posts
I looked at MPT's site, doesn't look like they do anything before 2011. I have a '10, and the @OP was looking for a tune for an '07.
Wow, they must be getting notorious for discontinuing. Well, that’s enough reason to steer clear even if they did have the particular tune available. They discontinued Gen1 Coyote tunes too. I was a little miffed when I found out. They pointed me to VMP, but I went a whole other direction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Back in 2008, I had the dealer install a Ford Racing tune for my V6. They had a process whereby you sent Ford Racing your PCM ID number, and they would write a tune. Mines was for 91 octane minimum. They sent you the tuner and you would take it to the dealer for installation. I was very happy with the tune and never had any warranty issues. You may want to inquire if you are interested.
The Ford Racing Tune was the only Ford approved tune that would not affect your warranty and that was only if it was installed in a Ford Dealership. I don't think the OP is worried about the factory warranty anymore since it is long expired but these are probably the safest tunes out there. Ford Racing was renamed Ford Performance several years ago if you looking for their catalog.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, they must be getting notorious for discontinuing. Well, that’s enough reason to steer clear even if they did have the particular tune available. They discontinued Gen1 Coyote tunes too. I was a little miffed when I found out. They pointed me to VMP, but I went a whole other direction.
Yeah I have no interest in spending money on a tuner that's going to stop working in the near to not-so-distant future. That's utter BS.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
The tuner device will keep working forever, and any tunes that are written and loaded to the tuner and/or the car should work forever, there is no expiration date.

The issue discussed above is about a tune vendor (people who write tunes that are loaded to the car using the tuner device) who decided not to write any new ones for new customers. It seems a lot of tuners are doing that because the Federal government is cracking down on them for alleged environmental crimes; or they might decide to focus only on specific cars where they have expertise or where they see future demand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The tuner device will keep working forever, and any tunes that are written and loaded to the tuner and/or the car should work forever, there is no expiration date.

The issue discussed above is about a tune vendor (people who write tunes that are loaded to the car using the tuner device) who decided not to write any new ones for new customers. It seems a lot of tuners are doing that because the Federal government is cracking down on them for alleged environmental crimes; or they might decide to focus only on specific cars where they have expertise or where they see future demand.
No i get it - it's cheaper to not have to maintain a code-base for a vehicle you aren't going to have to supply much for. It's the same reason Apple declares working phones "End of Life"

But once they stop supporting it with new tunes, you can't adapt to new mods or tweak your configuration, and that makes it useless. Unless I can go in and modify it, and I'm still unclear as to whether or not a savvy user could just build their own tunes.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
yeah you "might" be able to get someone else to write new tunes, or maybe not; I would not attempt to do it myself, unless I was ready to spend a lot of time learning about it

it seems the days of modding these cars are limited; but the good news is that the new cars provide fantastic performance right out of the box, and the old ones don't have computers so they are not affected . . . unfortunately the S197 is stuck somewhere in between

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Maybe consider a local, reputable, dyno-mod-custom shop. There's some out there that have survived for years, mostly due to reputation and providing excellent services, and in most cases their techs have been with them long term. Mail order tunes are always going to be questionable, since the tunes, in most cases, are cookie-cutter tunes. Yea, you can send the vendor data logging for weeks in order to try an per-fect the tune, but they will never be as good as an in house tune and you have a expert personally tuning your car. Just a thought....:unsure:

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah you "might" be able to get someone else to write new tunes, or maybe not; I would not attempt to do it myself, unless I was ready to spend a lot of time learning about it

it seems the days of modding these cars are limited; but the good news is that the new cars provide fantastic performance right out of the box, and the old ones don't have computers so they are not affected . . . unfortunately the S197 is stuck somewhere in between
I code for a living - my guess is it's will be just like learning a new language.

I miss my old Carburated '69...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts