Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading that caliper covers eliminate quite a bit of break dust form the rims. I had thought about getting the wheels painted on the 2012 GT I ordered so if they do help it would be a bonus. Any feedback?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've checked out a few of them for my wife's 03 and just went with the caliper paint. I'm sure they would prevent some dust on the wheels, but you could also consider upgrading the break pads to those ones that don't produce as much dust and paint the calipers. You may even come out a little cheaper and it would be easier to change the color if you ever wanted to.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Im also not so sure how good caliper dust covers would be, the fit would have to be fairly close to the actual caliper,so what about all that brake dust accumulating in such tight quarters! just something I would think about.
If I wanted different colored calipers, I would have them painted the color I want,easy enough!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Would covers mess with the heat dissipation?

I like the idea of less dust producing pads and am all ears on recommendations. Not that I am going to be all OCD about the new car or anything. :D

·
Registered
963 Posts
Caliper covers are domestic rice, aka potatoes.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
One great thing about the GT/CS wheels...they just hide the dust COMPLETELY due to they design.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Caliper covers are domestic rice, aka potatoes.
Lets try to define rice, first. Most people consider "rice" or any derived label to be modifications made to a car that are either tacky (subjective, i suppose), misleading/false (like someone putting a V8 label on a V6), non-functional functional parts (like our taped-on hood and side scoops), or simply cheap (unpainted body kits, anyone?)

The best case you can make for caliper covers being "rice" is to assert that they are "wanna-be" performance brake kits.

My perspective of caliper covers are that they're a lot like quarter window louvers. Louvers aren't performance parts in any sense, no one is under such an impression. They are added to cars for aesthetics or perhaps privacy. Assuming they accomplish either goal, they aren't rice (or potatoes, which honestly i think is more suited for "russian rice"). Caliper covers are aesthetic and functional mods. They help with dust, they also allow for a painted AND smoothed over look in the wheelspace, which is visually better than a standard caliper, even if painted. Plus, painted calipers are more prone to chipping and needing paint maintenance, in my limited experience.

However, caliper covers become ricey under certain circumstances. Getting them with "Brembo" labeled on them? Ricey.

I have my eyes on a set of custom grabber blue painted MGP caliper covers for my ride. My only issue (aside from them being over priced) is that you have to get those fake "bolts" painted on them, which I consider "ricey". I may elect to order them from a reseller and get them powdercoated solid to match my paint instead.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Caliper covers are pricey and money better spent elsewhere on the car.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not a fan of caliper covers at all... they are pretty tacky.

If you want to change the appearance I would just use a good caliper paint. If you prep the caliper well the end result will turn out nice.

To help with brake dust, you should use a good wheel sealant. This will make it a lot easier to remove brake dust and other road grime from your wheels.

·
Registered
487 Posts
from a person that has a set they are a very good product keep the dust off my rims and look like new all the time.imo the stock calipers [if not brembo or cobras] are butt ugly take a day pulling off prepping and paint when i can put them on in 15 mins and get nothing but compliments

·
Registered
487 Posts
sturgis mustang rally 019.jpg

no rice here

sturgis mustang rally 020.jpg

J

·
0 Posts
The metallic covers that clip/bolt on (like those from American Muscle) are an aesthetic mod, I think they look pretty cool. Agreed that I wouldn't spend that kind of cash on them though. Especially when Blue Oval sells some badass looking Bullitt calipers for not all that much more.
Mustang Bullitt FORD RACING Front Calipers M-2320-F | eBay

The ebay plastic ones with Brembo on them (which are attached with RTV) are definitely domestic rice. But at least they're only $30. lol

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If not overdone, I like em. Don't have them myself, but may eventually.

·
Registered
319 Posts
caliper covers

I installed red ones on my car and they really set off the car's looks.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think they are a nice touch, and they do get noticed

·
Registered
209 Posts
I painted my calipers they looked ok for a while then bought the covers and think they look great. Inexpensive mod if you ask me, painted coil covers and part of intake installed covers all for about 250

1 - 20 of 34 Posts