Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 99 gt 5spd with cai and flowmaster cat back exhaust on it ran it at the track and it went 14.oo at 100 mph just curious if the nitto or bf drag radials would help my et.It seems anything over about 2500rpm it smokes the tires.I also want to install some 373 gears at the same time i put the new tires on it.I just dont want to break axles or differential.Thank Jason

·
Registered
126 Posts
Either brand will help your 1/4 mile times. You will notice a bigger change when going to the 3.73 gears. I usually run 9.5 1/8 mile at 79mph spinning badly thru first gear and second. When I spoke to a couple of racers at the track ( 1/8 mile ) they said their times dropped almost a second when they installed 3.73 gears (4.10 for automatic) and drag radials on their cars.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Drag radials are great, I had them, but they don't handle as well, so if you like the twisty's also, that may be a consideration. 3.73 is a great gear and will help a lot.

You should be able to break into the 13's with your car, without gears or DR's.

I can tell that DR's are hard on your car. They tear things up. I would consider some lower control arms and some subframes also. The combo with the DR's and Gears, you should be in the solid low 13's and have a solid ride while doing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well just went to track and went a 13.67 at 100mph still on my toyo tires,what breaks with the drag radials on the car .I dont plan on doing 5grand hole shots but would like to come out of the hole a little harder,Also with just the tires alone will it slow the car down with out the addition of new gears?Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well went to the track again and went a best of 13.69 with a 1.89 60ft this was with nitto drag radials and 373 gears.It seems that the rearend wraps pretty bad. Will new control arms help this?Which are the best?

·
Banned
918 Posts
You can run a 13.8 with the car stock. Tires could get you to a 13.5. I would not go with 3.73's as these cars love to rev and that is not a good enough gear to take advantage of. 4.10's minimum for a daily driver. People are getting 22-24 mpg with 4.30's.

Hell 4.30's, a shifter, catback, o/r h and drag radials can get you in the 12's. People are doing it and quite a few come to mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.