Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of Koni sports 4 months ago. Got billed by strano a month ago. Called up and asked the status and apparently I'm 'pretty far down the list'. Great.

I installed steeda lowering springs on my car and it rides like **** with the stock struts and mounts. I really regret doing it. One of the mounts is already failing. I have a set of Steeda HD mounts that have been sitting in a closet for several months. I sure as hell hope they aren't defective.

How long has everyone else been waiting? Is it seriously worth waiting like this? I wouldn't be so upset about this if one of my stock strut mounts wasn't making creaking noises. I see there are already a lot of new 2011+ parts available that weren't available back when I ordered these.

·
Registered
613 Posts
No they are not. They are a ok shock but really not worth the hassle if you cant get them any faster. Hit pep boys speed shop, you can get the = or better version and have it right away.

·
Registered
160 Posts
what's equal or better? or equal or better coming from a Pep Boys of all places?

I've been waiting 6 months as well.

·
Registered
613 Posts
More than just Koni shocks/struts out there why wait forever to get them? Point is there are plenty of other strut manufacturers that make better and have in stock right now. The pep boys here has a speed shop and can get just about whatever your after, simply by shopping all warehouses for the parts your after...so yes pep boys can get = or better.

·
Registered
407 Posts
same issue

I had the same issues you are having with waiting for Koni Sports. I talked to Sam Strano and he recommended I go with the Koni SRTs. They are a great shock but I'm waiting on my wheels to come in, so I don't really have any good street impressions yet. I've been driving my car with the bigs'n'littles set up and it's really not the best judge of handling.

·
Registered
108 Posts
They are in stock with free shipping from www.shox.com.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I wouldn't know, I'm still waiting.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I just ordered my Koni Sports a few weeks ago before the sale ended. At least Koni is actually making the shocks again! It's hard for me to comprehend why if there is such a demand they are so far behind in production ?

I came really close to ordering the Tokica D-Specs as an alternative but I couldn't find much feed back on them and all the hype has been about the Koni Sports. I finally decided what's the difference, if I've already waited this long I might as well get what I really want and not second guess myself.

It would be nice to see some 2011 model specific suspension parts but I think it will probably be 2012 before we see them and I'm not willing to wait that long. I looked into the Steeda 2011 HD mounts but it really doesn't matter if your using 2010 shocks & struts. I guess I will just pony up and buy the isolators along with the Steeda HD's like everyone else who wants to get the most out of their cars at this current time. If your a patient person something will eventually come along but I'm not that person.

·
Registered
108 Posts
While Strano is probably the most knowledgeable person on the boards about suspension for Mustangs, he isn't the only supplier of all things suspension. He also shouldn't bill your credit card until they ship to you. I exchanged a number of e mails with him trying to get a handle on when he could ship Koni Sports to me. I couln't get a firm answer so I got them elsewhere.

·
Registered
206 Posts
About a month ago I found a set of Koni STR-T shocks on ebay, I bought them and installed them with Steeda Ultralite springs.
One of the front struts where defective, it makes a load squeaking noise when going through dips and bumps in the road. I called Koni NA, and they said its probably a bad seal, and they will warranty the product but there are no replacement struts as of yet.

I really needed to run my car so I removed the Koni's and bought Tokiko D-spec. Im really glad I did.
I also installed Steeda HD mounts. These mounts seem to be very good but if you don't install them correctly it will damage the inner bushings. One of the inner o-rings ripped. I took them off and I installed GT500 mounts, these mounts seemed to be much smoother riding then the Steeda mounts, not as strong but they work fine.

All in all.....Tokiko D-specs will be just as good as Koni Sports with no production problems.
GT500 mounts will be fine and ride smoother then Steeda HD mounts. No camber adj. though. If your not doing track days alot they will be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts