Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing new lightweight wheels to replace the heavier OEM polished 18 inch wheels on my 2009 gt convertible.

I have seen, in a couple of threads, concerns about the ability of the lighter ( 18-20 pound) rims to stand up, and might be more prone to failure under stress.

Is this a valid concern or just an unnecessary worry?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Probably unnecessary worry. Most lightweight wheels are very strong, forged aluminum. With the top brands you have nothing to worry about.

Now, I wouldn't go road racing on drag-specific wheels or something like that.

What wheels are you looking at that?

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
I've been very seriously entertaining a set of these
Enkei High Quality Wheels : Tuning Series : FUJIN
Wrapped in some Nitto NT01 rubber.

They're made with the same manufacturing process as Enkei's race rims but don't carry near the same price.

Enkei's can take some abuse too from what I understand about them.
-HD

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
I am just guessing here . . . but my guess would be:
- the "good" ones (meaning expensive) are fine because they have some engineering behind them and probably made by forging or other appropriate processes
- the cheap ones, being made in China with only one goal in mind (cheap price) -- maybe not

I like the idea of lightweight wheels also . . . but those open spindly designs leave the brakes very open to view, so they beg for bigger brakes with nice calipers to go with them.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
I like the idea of lightweight wheels also . . . but those open spindly designs leave the brakes very open to view, so they beg for bigger brakes with nice calipers to go with them.
Yeah, a set of 19" or 20" wheels with an open spoke design make 14" brakes look small. And 14" brakes are not small!

My 18's are filled up pretty good with 14" brakes but I have a lot of spokes also (see pic of blue car).

908SSP has the same 14" brakes I do but in 20's. They look a lot smaller (see pic of grey car).

If I end up with 20's on the car I'll be looking for 15" rotors.:bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
There are a lot of lightweight rims, but not a lot that take a sizeable tire and are affordable.
You have the choices of:

Light
Big
Affordable

But you can only pick 2.:D

S

·
0 Posts
You have the choices of:

Light
Big
Affordable

But you can only pick 2.:D
Well put. I found my self checking each of the possible 2 in my head. Nice. My buddy just showed me a site today that I jizzed in my pants over. Damn if I can't remember the name. I know it starts with an "S" and is based in california. Dude, you could customize like 6 parts of the wheel with your own color, carbon fiber, chrome, matt black...etc. I'm talking the baddest rims you ever seen in your life. At least it was for me since I customized my own. I emailed them for prices, but I'm sure they are just like Jong Bloed(however you spell it) rims at Griggs.....too pricey. I can dream though.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The only wheels on that site I would consider look exactly like the TSW forged wheels for $250.

S

·
0 Posts
The only wheels on that site I would consider look exactly like the TSW forged wheels for $250.
You going by looks or is there some other issue like structure or something? If it's looks, everybody likes what they like.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Looks, I bet they are all fine wheels but I have no use for the looks of 98% of those wheels. When I went through that design your own section I came up with all black wheels in the Nurburgring and Interlagos designs and that's all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts