Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I haven't really had any good action lately, tonight, I dipped over into the right lane at a red light to share the front row with a last-gen black trans am. It had NHRA badges on the front fenders, and some A-pillar mounted gauges(this was an ls1 for sure). The light turned green, and he took off a little quickly so I paced him, then at about 20-25 MPH he nailed it,(at which point, my front wheel was next to his door) and so did I. Through my first gear, he gained to where he had maybe a half a carlength between us. In second gear, he just barely pulled away, some more, from me, then we wisely lifted. I've lined up against two other last-gen firebirds in the last three weeks with similar results - they always beat me, but not by much. I stayed right next to the other two through first gear (one had a passenger, the other was on some bumpy pavement if he didn't stay to the right of the groove).
Are these guys just toying with me, or do you think they're giving it 100%? I think that they think that a rolling start makes me an easier kill, (all three were from a roll) but I think my 2.73s help me from a roll.

·
Registered
977 Posts
You raced to second gear? Is that even a race? LS1's are known for their 3rd gear pull. I ran a guy at the track in an LS1 Camaro with a cat-back exhuast. Other than his lack of traction, he was running low 13'[email protected] Recently ran a buddy's LS1 Trans Am in the 1/8th mile. He was running 8.8'[email protected] with a cat-back and intake.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's rare that I race from a dig (those are just the circumstances) and I've never used third in a race that started in first. All of my races are just chance encounters in traffic, I usually wait for them to throw the first punch, and then I floor it and see if I can pass, or keep from being passed. No doubt he was gonna kill me in the quarter, but if I could've held him off to the shutdown, in a street race, I'd have to call it a kill.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Simple answer.... Yes they are.

3rd Gear seems to be a miracle gear fo rthese cars because when the shift from 2nd-3rd occurs, it falls right to the beginning of the strong pull of the torque curve, so they get a great pull thru 3rd and they have the full use of the torque band in them... not just a short blast.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
95MGTS said:
You raced to second gear? Is that even a race? LS1's are known for their 3rd gear pull. I ran a guy at the track in an LS1 Camaro with a cat-back exhuast. Other than his lack of traction, he was running low 13'[email protected] Recently ran a buddy's LS1 Trans Am in the 1/8th mile. He was running 8.8'[email protected] with a cat-back and intake.
I dunno about a 92' stang, but I cant get up to about 60 mph in mine without any loss in torque.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, my car is kind of a dog in third gear. First and second have been pretty good to me though.:winks I guess I'm just wondering how fast my car really is. It's almost completely stock. Thinking about it, that some of that miraculous third gear might be a result of their six speed - that particular ratio, along with second gear are somewhat out of character for normal driving - seeing as how that factory puts the first gear to fourth gear skipper deal on all of their six-speed stuff. The horsepower difference is common knowledge, and can be overcome. But it's sounding like that six-speed is a big part of their equation, I hadn't thought about it before. The one last night sounded like a manual, I kind of remember when they came out with that NHRA special edition, pretty nice car. He pulled into Sonic to cool off, but I had to get where I was going.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i don't blame ya for shutting down after 2nd on just these chance encounters. doesn't really matter what road your on your likely already speeding at the top of 2nd. speeding is a ticket-risk but speeding+racing can get you in a lot more trouble.

back to the point though, yes ls1's wake up in 3rd. so you're running 2.73's? that's definitely not helping your cause even from a roll. i'd definitely get some 4:10's in there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
blackened said:
i don't blame ya for shutting down after 2nd on just these chance encounters. doesn't really matter what road your on your likely already speeding at the top of 2nd. speeding is a ticket-risk but speeding+racing can get you in a lot more trouble.
Haha... yeah. I have an '05 GT an everybody always asks what it'll do, show me! Riiiight, well see, the problem is that I've already blown every speed limit in the province by the top of 2nd... I was hoping to hit the track this year but looks like that's out the window. I dunno, I used to run my v6 contour pretty hard, but something about winding out a big v8 on the street just has "bad idea" written ALL over it

·
Registered
53 Posts
get rid of those 2:73's. The only way that might help you is at 130 mph for a top end run. You want some pull in 3rd gear, switch to 3:73's or above. This will run you through your rpm band quicker and accelrate you quicker. I have no problem hanging with one when my car had simple bolt on's and a 3:73's

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drive 40 miles round trip on the highway, to work. So I'm kind of leary of 3.73s, right now.
If there IS any responsible street racing, it involves shutting down soon after the speed limit. I only run across these people and their cars in the city, and it's usually pretty uncool/unsafe in the city. So contests there tend to consist of short blasts for me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
meangreen92 said:
I drive 40 miles round trip on the highway, to work. So I'm kind of leary of 3.73s, right now.
If there IS any responsible street racing, it involves shutting down soon after the speed limit. I only run across these people and their cars in the city, and it's usually pretty uncool/unsafe in the city. So contests there tend to consist of short blasts for me.
If anything I would say that your time spent on the highway is more of a reason to get the gears. On the street with 373's the first to second shift is pretty short some people start off in second from a stop, if you spend most of your time on the highway it will only raise you rpm 's a few hundred while cruising, unless you drive 150mph everywhere I can't see a real disadvantage

·
Registered
248 Posts
8.8 isnt that fast for ls1, my friend has an lt1 tran am, and he ran an 8.9 1/8th, and he has tranny problems.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow..when I saw 2.73 I thought it was a misprint. These guys are right..in 3rd he would have killed you! I see these guys run 12.9-13.5 all the time at the track. Remeber that they have 48 more cubic inches than you do just to start!

·
Registered
295 Posts
i agree with everybody. 3.73's are great. i have had it all my mustangs. except my 04 cobra. i have a buddy who drag races for a living and suggested i stay with the 3.55's. i have ridden in a friends cobra that has 4.10's and it seems to run out rpm before it runs out of power. off the line he kills me but i just run away from him once we hit second and third.i had a 89 gt with 3.73's, exhaust,and simple bolt ons. i used to eat camaros for breakfast. i had a thirty mile commute to work and i just stayed around the speed limit and never had any problems.but i can understand not wanting to put that low of a gear in.but man does your car really come to life once you do.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, ran acrosst the NHRA bird tonight. He was in front of me at a light, but never pulled more than than two more cars once we got into it - till I lifted - he did shoot way ahead for a second, but we were approaching an intersection and had to shut down. I hope they don't think I'm resorting to some kind of ricer tactics to try and claim a kill.
I definitely haven't ruled out gears, but I do want 3.73s over the 3.55s.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I ran with an late model ss at the track. Those things are beasts. When I launched I was suprised to see it was almost dead even for a brief moment. But, then like nothing he took off, gone. I think he ran about 13.2 or something to my 14.6. I'm willing to bet he was close to stock too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey truuble, I think I saw you at the track last Friday (the 21st). Your car runs pretty good. From your sig, it also looks as if you have added more boost and a new rear end and have shaved another second off you ET. Are you going to build a short block?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I didn't read all posts, but what I have to say about the LS1 is- great torque and horsepower, not great at launching. The Mustangs have generally had batter launches even with a good deal less torque. I don't exactly know the reason for this, they aren't much heavier. But they really shine on the higher end, stock trap over 105 in the 1/4. most 99-04 GTs do about 100.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.