Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 185 afrs and a performer intake on a stock bottom end 87 gt with a bbk fpr set at 52 and i get some popping from the intake and i also get no bottom end power. are these heads to big for a stock 302? it has the stock cam, it is a speed dencity car do i need to go maf with bigger injectors to make this car run or a different cam? im just getting a little fustated i guess

·
Registered
297 Posts
those heads are pretty big for that setup. i would have went with afr 165's. i would go for a MAF setup anyway. it responds way better to mods.

dont sell the heads and get smaller ones though. i would get a more aggressive cam, and an exhaust setup, with a bigger throttle body. bigger injectors would help out too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the exhaust is 4 cats on an h pipe with 2 flows on 2 1/2 pipe. i have to keep the cats because of the emissions in cali. the throttle body is still the stock size, but would a bigger one get better power?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Maybe you should look into a custom cam for your setup. You can call the big companies and they can tell you which direction to go.

·
Registered
956 Posts
You should get mass air, and eventaully get a larger t-body, cold air intake, and maybe some high flow cats

a mass air meter larger then stock would also help

·
Registered
842 Posts
i have 185 afrs and a performer intake on a stock bottom end 87 gt with a bbk fpr set at 52 and i get some popping from the intake and i also get no bottom end power. are these heads to big for a stock 302? it has the stock cam, it is a speed dencity car do i need to go maf with bigger injectors to make this car run or a different cam? im just getting a little fustated i guess
Unless you plan on a turbo, supercharger, or a stroker, you need to get AFR 165s. Those heads are way too big for your setup. If you get a bigger TB or MAF you are going to kill even more bottom end. Just my opion

·
Registered
176 Posts
Those heads are NOT too big. You did great on that selection.
Who did the installation?
Where did the cylinder heads come from?
Who set the cylinder heads up?
Did you reuse old parts?
Did pushrod length get checked?

If you have a bad lifter(s) or incorrect PR length, you may experience that symptom.
If the cylinder heads are "used" you may have issues with a few things that will give you the symptoms you have.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got these heads from ebay, he said they had less than 500 miles on them so i jumped on them and ended up getting a good deal. i did the installation and also checked for push rod length i do hear a ticking sound like a bad lifter at idle. i didnt replace them with new ones when i put the heads on i guess i should have. any more thoughts??

thanks

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
My heads are 195cc so you can use those 185's on a 302, you just need to compliment them with an appropriate intake, throttle body, fuel system, exhaust, and cam or it'll run like it does now.
What parts are you saying you didn't replace? The lifters? Unless there was an actual problem, you can reuse them. The ticking could be several things like a loose/mis adjusted rocker arm, loose rocker stud, pushrod deflection, check out the valvetrain for these.
If you want to continue modifying it, you'd be advised to switch to mass air now, then you can go full speed ahead. What other engine parts do you have now, or are these heads the only thing? I notice you said you still have the stock throttle body.
I'd suggest (after the mass air) a Holley Systemax II intake, 70mm throttle body, and a Comp Cams Xtreme cam to make the most of those heads. Do that, and you'll be smoking for sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My heads are 195cc so you can use those 185's on a 302, you just need to compliment them with an appropriate intake, throttle body, fuel system, exhaust, and cam or it'll run like it does now.
What parts are you saying you didn't replace? The lifters? Unless there was an actual problem, you can reuse them. The ticking could be several things like a loose/mis adjusted rocker arm, loose rocker stud, pushrod deflection, check out the valvetrain for these.
If you want to continue modifying it, you'd be advised to switch to mass air now, then you can go full speed ahead. What other engine parts do you have now, or are these heads the only thing? I notice you said you still have the stock throttle body.
I'd suggest (after the mass air) a Holley Systemax II intake, 70mm throttle body, and a Comp Cams Xtreme cam to make the most of those heads. Do that, and you'll be smoking for sure.
Absolutely agree with EagleAutosports.
IMO, when you spend good cash on parts such as these, I always suggest a custom camshaft to get the most value and performance from the whole combination. You will also find the camshaft designer will keep you emissions passable while maintaining high performance you'd expect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i didnt replace the lifters because i thought they were in good shape. heads 1.6 rr's intake bbk fpr is all ive done so far. i guess i need to start thinking about a cam and switching to mass air to get this right. do any of you guys know of a good maf kit that i can get for a good price?

·
Registered
107 Posts

x's 2..........!!

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
There's kits available with the larger 75mm mass air sensor included with the mass air conversion but I can't remember where now... *smacks self*... Since you'd be getting a conversion, stock it'll come with a 55mm sensor housing. You'd then be advised to get a larger meter housing like a 75-76mm to make the most of it. You would come out cheaper getting it this way because the kit itself usually is around $300-$350, and then a new meter is $175-$200. This kit with the larger meter is around $400. Do some looking around and if I can find it, I'll let you know. And of course these prices are if you bought them new. You can find these parts used and should be able to fairly easily.

And I missed where you said you have a Performer intake already so that's cool. Just switch the throttle body, over to mass air, and the cam and you'll be fine. With those stock 1987 pistons, you can get up to a .530-.540 lift cam and have enough clearance.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think you should invest in a charger. For sure, those heads were my first choice. They flow real good. Just compliment them with a good matching set up;;

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so my stock pistons are good for about .540 of lift, that is good to hear. i called afr a while back and they told me that i was on borrowed time with my stock cam because i had like 20 thousands of clearance and that i should notch my pistons. what do you guys suggest for an exhaust?

·
Registered
941 Posts
sound like a timing with the lowend and ticking sound!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i readjusted the timing untill the ticking went away at about 22 btc and took it for a drive, its a lot better now but isn't to much timing? i had it at 10 before. thanks again to everybody for the help!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Like I said before, with the setup he has now, he is better off with AFR165s....The reason you have no power down low is because your heads are too big for your setup...Not saying it will not work, but what I am saying is, you would get better response from 165s..Possibly in the future with more mods, and forced induction, those heads would be worth wild.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Like I said before, with the setup he has now, he is better off with AFR165s....The reason you have no power down low is because your heads are too big for your setup...Not saying it will not work, but what I am saying is, you would get better response from 165s..Possibly in the future with more mods, and forced induction, those heads would be worth wild.
You're going to have to explain exactly why you say they are too big for his setup. And I don't mean "cut and paste"... I mean in your own words, using your own experience, using science.

I'm confident I can take what he has in it, put my "medium sized" ported RHS215s and my choice of camshaft and it will run from idle all the way to 6700rpm. Enough to spank your small cylinder headed setup from stage to 60', 330', 1000' and 1320'.

Forced induction does not care how big or small the heads are... if you want more, turn up the boost. It is a matter of air density, not port volume.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.