Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are Pypes Axle-Back Muffler Deletes Street Legal in Texas?

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dtrain_WV 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I had a local muffler shop remove my mufflers and weld pipe in there place. Sounds and looks great. Are you ready, cost me a whopping $40! :bigthumbsup

#3 ·
Depends on the noise laws in your area. But really technically, almost no axlebacks except maybe the GT500 are technically legal in most areas. Most noise laws are pretty strict and any aftermarket muffler makes this car loud enough to violate them. But just try to keep it down when you're around a cop and I doubt you'll have any problems. Worst case scenario you get a $50 fix-it ticket (at least that's what it is around hear for exhaust being too loud) and go about your business.

#4 ·
I traded in my daughter's 2007 Mustang GT with SLP Loudmouths (same as what you are looking at).
The dealer called me back and asked if I had the stock mufflers as without mufflers it failed inspection.

I have Flowmaster Hushpowers on our 2011 5.0, they will pass inspection, they are true mufflers.

What you are looking at is basically a muffler delete.

#5 ·
As a general rule, cars are required to have functioning mufflers installed just about anywhere, regardless of overall sound. erod550 is somewhat correct, too, in that many aftermarket mufflers could be considered illegal in many areas, but it's because many states still have vague sound laws that usually boil down to "it's illegal to make your car louder than stock". Some states, like CA, have actual db (decibel) limits one has to abide by- here, it's 95db, which is really pretty generous. 95db is loud enough for most, but still liveable to the general public. The SLP Loudmouths yell03 mentioned almost certainly wouldn't be 'street legal' here, but the Hushpwer axle-back is, along with others, I'm sure.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. Didn't even think about the potential trade in issues later. Guess I'll lean toward one of the Borla kits. Had magnaflow on my 06, and the drone at 2k was just north of irritating. Everything I've read on Borla appears to be no drone and the riight sound (for me).

#7 ·
20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.