Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all --

I've got an '05 Sixer and want to keep my exterior mods true to the classic "old school" originals. Have been looking at those "sequential tail light" turn signals as a possible purchase but don't want to buy them if they were not a feature of the vintage 'Stangs. Did an hour's worth of searching online, and the only thing I could find is a reference to a "lane-change indicator" in a '69 brochure. Is that the same thing? Any info or opinions you could provide are greatly appreciated...thanks...

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:)The sequential turn signals were used on the 68-70 Shelbys, which used 65 T-Bird tail light assemblies.There weren't any regular production mustangs with sequential turn signals, with the possible exception of the California Specials. I don't know what they had, but I think that it was the regular mustang tail lights.I'll check and get back with you.Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Veronica said:
Hello.:)The sequential turn signals were used on the 68-70 Shelbys, which used 65 T-Bird tail light assemblies.There weren't any regular production mustangs with sequential turn signals, with the possible exception of the California Specials. I don't know what they had, but I think that it was the regular mustang tail lights.I'll check and get back with you.Hope that helps.:)
Wow! That's awesome info...incredible details...feels like I just got an answer from Mustang Yoda! :worship Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I think they're pretty durn cool! If get the the extra cash toputinto non perf mods, this will be one of the first!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Veronica, I don't know if it is original but there is a CS in the area with the sequential Tbird setup.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A guy in our mustang club has a '04 Mach 1 with sequential tail lights. I really like them. I think they make them for the 67-68 years but im not sure. Hopefully you guys do tho:)

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
allmuscle said:
A guy in our mustang club has a '04 Mach 1 with sequential tail lights. I really like them. I think they make them for the 67-68 years but im not sure. Hopefully you guys do tho:)
not unless you have Shelby style tail lights, there is only one bulb per side on a 65-70

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
404 Posts
blink blink blink

old school? you bet. In the Cougars they were nothing more than a small motor that turned a wiper style switch.

btw- does modding the lights void the warranty in any way?

·
Registered
494 Posts
They look awesome on any year stang IMO!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 69 Cougar XR7 Ragtop had them from the factory and they were cool as hell. When one of them stopped working i had a hard time finding the little computer chip to replace it. But it was worth it. And I did notice an old man the other day in an 09 Mustang fast back going down the highway with them in it. I think it is now an option in the new Mustangs. I have seen a few of them in the 71-73 models but they seem to look better in the longer Cougar/shelby/cal spec stangs.

·
Registered
850 Posts
'68 California Specials had the '65 T-Bird tailight lenses and housings for the Shelby look, but with no sequentail mechanism - just standard operation flasher and brake lights.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
not unless you have Shelby style tail lights, there is only one bulb per side on a 65-70
I am sure you mean in stock form right. because there are several companies that make conversion kits.

one nice aspect of converting the old kits is that it is much brighter than stock and more bulbs to burn out. I am using the led version that just plugs into the original bulb socket. I think it is cool and I have not had to replace the bulb or fiddle with it when the bulb quits working since I changed over. I used to have a heck of a time keeping my taillights working.:shiny:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
'68 California Specials had the '65 T-Bird tailight lenses and housings for the Shelby look, but with no sequentail mechanism - just standard operation flasher and brake lights.
Your part right 67 Shelby used the t bird lights 68 shelby and cs both used cougar tail lights.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Your part right 67 Shelby used the t bird lights 68 shelby and cs both used cougar tail lights.
Actually, you've got it backwards. The '67 shelby used '67 Cougar tailights without the Cougar chrome trim and they were not sequential lights. The '68 Shelby and California Specials used '65 T-Bird lights and they were sequential. Here's a photo of two Shelby's. ('68 on left, '67 on right)

Here's a photo showing the rear of a '65 T-Bird:

Here's a photos of a '67 Cougar:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts