Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to change the fluid this weekend, and wanted to torque the bolts to the right spec. Ford says steel differential cover bolts are 33 lb-ft and aluminum bolts are 24 lb-ft.

My differential is stock, which material should I torque for? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
256 Posts
33lb-ft.

The 2006 year didn't have the aluminum cover with bolts option and the stock cover is steel and steel bolts. This installation sheet is for the newer generations of Mustangs with the option of the finned alumunum housing (GT500 and Boss 302, GT-Track Pack). That said, it should work as the 8.8 rear applies to both generations of S197.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
bolts are steel and the cover is steel, unless you have installed the finned aluminum one, which you would know if you did

I am a little surprised that the torque is lower for the aluminum cover, I guess they don't want you to squash it too much, the bolts are steel and the housing is cast iron or steel

Reactions: Jonathon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
33lb-ft.

The 2006 year didn't have the aluminum cover with bolts option and the stock cover is steel and steel bolts. This installation sheet is for the newer generations of Mustangs with the option of the finned alumunum housing (GT500 and Boss 302, GT-Track Pack). That said, it should work as the 8.8 rear applies to both generations of S197.

Thanks so much! Appreciate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts