Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got this car. 1996 cobra with 2003 motor and transmission. It seems to have a little belt squeak when it's cold, so I go to investigate and notice the crank pulley is wobbling pretty badly. Maybe an inch total travel back and forth. What in the world is that about? That can't be good.

I either didn't notice it at the time of purchase or it's happened in the last couple of days. What is this a sign of or what could cause this? It doesn't feel loose when I tried to move it by hand, but it's definitely got a wobble.

I can try to post a vid of it if that'll help, but I need some insight quick.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Either would point to needing a new dampener/balancer...DO NOT drive the car until this is corrected! :nono:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a little update.. Upon further investigation, it straightens out when I rev it. So, it's really only wobbling at idle. What the heck?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Another update. I'm an idiot. It's not the crank pulley. It's the "crankshaft extension support pulley?"

So, what's this about?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
well not to overstate the obvious but it's either loose or needs replacing, yeah, get it fixed, breaking the belt can mean a tow in, or worse

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
So is it the pulley for the SC or the crank pulley itself. Does it have an aftermarket lower pulley? you'll know since the stocker lower assembly is gone with the cage. There has been problems with people snapping the crank off in that area due to a super crazy tight belts to prevent belt slip. Plus the cage isn't really there to help support it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I hate being a newb, but I've never worked on this car or my Lightning before.

After more reading, it is the "cage" and what is considered the "lower" or just "crank pulley" I guess. I just saw another pulley behind it with a belt and assumed that was the actual crank pulley. Is that the harmonic balancer?

When I was googling crank pulley I kept getting just the ring when I was looking for the whole cage. It is in fact a stock pulley because it still has the cage on it. The belt seems properly tensioned.

I found a DIY on how to change that pulley and it doesn't seem too bad, buy where can I find a replacement pulley? Even a stock one? Without having to order it. This car is my daily. I can't have it out of commission while I wait on parts.

Should I go ahead an replace it with an aftermarket? I did plan on upgrading down the line, but reliability is paramount to me because like I said, this is my DD.

I'm gonna post a vid so you guys can see hat I'm talking about.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
If it's the front one, not the balancer thats closer to the engine. you can get a lower pulley kit to change out. though they are hit n miss, www.lightingforceperformance.com has lower pulley kits that comes with a belt. If you go 4lb lower or higher, you will need to get a alternator pulley too or you will just overspin it and it'll crap out. If you go with a lower, definitleyget a dyno tune or atleast get a dyno run to check your AF ratio. Also, Lower swaps add more torque than horsepower. Just a stocker, i've never seen them used just as in pulley, usually it's the pulley and cage. They're usually on ebay or in the market section at www.svtperformance.com

oh and that pulley on the balancer is reversed threaded. alot of people that swap them out on Cobra's and Lightnings have issues cause they try to take it off but didn't know it was reverse threaded.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One last (hopefully) update on this. I've come to the conclusion that the pulley is bent and that that probably happened in the wreck that the '03 was in before the motor/tranny swap.

Anyway, took it to my local Mustang pros and they had a stock cage from a previous customer's upgrade. They wanted $200 for the pulley/cage and $100 to put it in. Good price or did I get raped?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
wow..... $100 just for the istall? that should be like a 15 min job tops if they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
15 minutes? Damn. My buddy works at a mech shop and his book said it's a 1.2 hour billing and these guys said it's an hour job. I happen to think $100/hr is highway robbery, but he did say that if it didn't take them an hour that he'd give me some money back.

You think that'll ever happen? Lmao.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
well im figuring from my car which im not s/c. i thought it wouldnt be much longer than what it took my mechanic to install my crank pulley on my 99 since the motors are similar. i guess its a whole different thing then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts