Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i was at long john silvers and some guy came up talking a bunch of stuff about his car. when i looked at it, it was a voltwagon bettel 1.8l turbo. 6 speed manual. he said he was running 15psi and it dynoed out at 180hp. its front wheel drive.
would it beat my 4.6L stock 96 mustang gt 5 speed manual??

·
0 Posts
I've seen some of those Beetles run some pretty impressive times. I say race him and find out!:gringreen

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I've seen some of those Beetles run some pretty impressive times. I say race him and find out!:gringreen
+1 on that. My neighbor has one also and yes it is impressive for the type of car that it is. Line um up!!! (of course on a track)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Those old beetles scoot. They weigh nothing. Ha.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hes got the weight advantage and if your bone stock youve only got 35HP over him but alot more weight. Although Im not sure his trans. is set up for the up and go of a race. Besides if hes really running that much boost hed have more HP, Even if he only had 80HP to start hed be way over 180 by now. I say line em up. Bring CLOSe friends who will pose at witnesses but wont tell TOO many people.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Don't be impressed by the 15 psi comment. The Turbo S Beetle does have a 6 speed and 180 hp stock but it doesn't have enough oats to run with you.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
The VW Beatle is the number one choice of homosexual men (just a fact...google it). Don't let us down:nono::nono:

·
Registered
377 Posts
The VW Beatle is the number one choice of homosexual men (just a fact...google it). Don't let us down:nono::nono:
lol
i dont think they have the torque to win

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

With the Miata coming in a close 2nd, haha!!
If I lost a race to a Beetle in my SVT Cobra I'd cry for a day, hehe!:nogrinner
It wouldn't happen though, if he started pulling on me I'd speed shift without the clutch and reel the Biatch in!
I'm a Gear Banging Freak!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
180hp is a pretty good power for a diesel. Remember that a diesel generally doesn't turn more than 3,000 rpms. So, lets say he's making 180hp at 3,000 rpm's. If you do the math, that's about 315 ft/lbs of torque. The torque curve tends to be really flat in a diesel.

Could he take a MUstang? Possibly. Depends on suspenion set up, gearing, and skill of the driver. But I'd say it's possible. DOn't blow him off because it's a beetle, he might surprise you.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
LOL this guy is driving a newer VW Beetle?? Man, if your a guy and drive one of those you should NOT be going around talking sh** and challenging people....Im sorry I jsut laughed when I read this. Yeah go ahead and line em up and smoke him, although if it was me I wouldnt even bother to race cuz 1-waste of gas....2-I dont wanna be seen racing a newer VW Beetle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd give him 10 cars and the bump!

Pinks style YO!

:wavey

·
Registered
547 Posts
ya, tell him if he thinks his car is hot ****, race for pinks.:bigthumbsup that should get him to put up or shut up.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'd give him 10 cars and the bump!

Pinks style YO!

:wavey

Then you'de lose. He makes a smuch torque as a stock GT, and weighs about 1,000# less. Head to head, I think the Mustang would win. But depending on other facters it might be pretty close. Given 10 car lengths.........

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The new beetle has two available engines, a 2.5L NA gas, and a 1.9l (1895cc)TDI. What a diesel is good at is making a boatload of torque, in a fairly narrow rpm range. The six speed trans is an auto. Which would keep that engine within it's power band all the way down the track, and shift very quickly.

With a little tuning, I bet that car could be pretty quick. I'd love to see that.

The Mustang is a great car. It has a history that no performance car can match. It's the best looking car on any dealers lot. But face it, it's not all it could be. 300hp is pretty standard in sedans these days. A stock Hundai makes 235!

The reality is that a lot of new cars (some even made in J---n!) can beat the Mustang in the 1/4. Unless you're willing to do some serious mods - or are willing to shell out big bux at the dealer - you're sitting on a precarious post. You might get knocked off by a 4 door Suburu with a child seat in the back.

There is no better car than a Mustang. I there was, I'd be driving it. But there are some uglly little cars that can give it a run for it's money.

·
Registered
914 Posts
People eat at long john silvers?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.