Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The site for Amsoil and for many other products recommend the use of ATF on manual transmissions. I have a 2002 Mustang GT in excellent shape (67K miles) and don't want to see it destroyed by misinformation.

It doesn't make sense to me that Automatic Transmission Fluid, which has hydraulic properties, is going to be as effective as 75W90 transmission lube in lubricating the high pressure points of a manual transmission. It may flow well through the transmission, but it seems that exactly because of that lower viscosity it would not be as effective at lubricating those high pressure points, which could result in metal friction against metal (not a good thing).

Does anyone have any solid information that could address my concerns? Please email me, if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Ford recommends MERCON V, which is automatic transmission fluid. Tremec recommends GM Syncromesh, which is automatic transmission fluid.

So....... Automatic transmission fluid is the proper fluid to fill yours with. There's a lot of debate on what works best, but the general consensus is that 3.2 quarts of Synchromesh is the preferred fluid.

If you try to put 75W90 in your Tremec 3650, you won't be able to shift it.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Mercon V synthetic is correct, do NOT use GM oil.

The site for Amsoil and for many other products recommend the use of ATF on manual transmissions. I have a 2002 Mustang GT in excellent shape (67K miles) and don't want to see it destroyed by misinformation.

It doesn't make sense to me that Automatic Transmission Fluid, which has hydraulic properties, is going to be as effective as 75W90 transmission lube in lubricating the high pressure points of a manual transmission. It may flow well through the transmission, but it seems that exactly because of that lower viscosity it would not be as effective at lubricating those high pressure points, which could result in metal friction against metal (not a good thing).

Does anyone have any solid information that could address my concerns? Please email me, if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm running AMSOIL ATF in mine, exactly 3.2 quarts and my tranny has had no issues. It shifts perfect and their is no notchy feeling what so ever.

What high pressure points are you really talking about in a TR3650 anyways? It's a manual. And like most manuals its just one great big oil bath in there. Viscosity itself does not tell you how well an oil will stick and protect your parts. And in fact to much viscosity, like your 75W90, will make it really hard if not impossible to shift.

I am an AMSOIL dealer and I have to say that under AMSOIL's Limeted warranty that if it is proven that a recommended oil for your vehicle from AMSOIL is the factor in which your part is destroyed, AMSOIL will replace it.

If you need to order anything shoot or need advice on any AMSOIL product, just shoot me a PM. I give great discounts and ship direct to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running AMSOIL ATF in mine, exactly 3.2 quarts and my tranny has had no issues. It shifts perfect and their is no notchy feeling what so ever.

What high pressure points are you really talking about in a TR3650 anyways? It's a manual. And like most manuals its just one great big oil bath in there. Viscosity itself does not tell you how well an oil will stick and protect your parts. And in fact to much viscosity, like your 75W90, will make it really hard if not impossible to shift.

I am an AMSOIL dealer and I have to say that under AMSOIL's Limeted warranty that if it is proven that a recommended oil for your vehicle from AMSOIL is the factor in which your part is destroyed, AMSOIL will replace it.

If you need to order anything shoot or need advice on any AMSOIL product, just shoot me a PM. I give great discounts and ship direct to you.
01FordCobra,

I am referring to mechanical pressure points, not hydraulic pressure points.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sharing the right answer with everyone.

I was finally able to get the Ford part number for the transmission fluid (yes, fluid not lube) for my car (5-speed manual). The part number is XT-2-QSM. While this is the part number for a Motorcraft Synthetic Mercon Transmission Fluid, it is not the same as the one for Mercon V (which is XT-5-QM, not synthetic). The proper transmission fluid must abide by two Ford specifications - Mercon and ESR-M2C163-A2.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Regards.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Mercon V synthetic is correct, do NOT use GM oil.
STOP putting out incorrect information. I don't care if you USED to be one of the owners here, that information is 100% incorrect and should not be followed.

The manufacturer of the transmission that's in your car recommends Synchromesh over MERCON V. Of course Ford is going to recommed MERCON, it's their brand.

I, as well as 90% of T3650 owners that are actually happy with the way their transmissions shift finally quit listening to people like GTRaptor and listened to the techs at Tremec and are much happier about it. People have had good luck with the AMSOIL as well.

You found that, but you obviously didn't find the TSB that changed the fluid specs from Ford to 3.2 quarts of MERCON-V synthetic, not MERCON. And then Tremec put out their own bulletin on the T3650 that recommends 3.2q of Synchromesh.

I always recommend RedlineMTF or Synchromesh. I run Synchromesh in my car, and noone is harder on their transmission than I am.

·
Registered
5 Posts
man ,I having a concern with using the synthetic, everywhere I read its seems that over time the synthetic destroys the servos, I've read to lower the amount to 3.25 and use non-synth. I have no 1-2 or 2-3 grind, but have a hard time finding reverse and at speed it is sometimes hard to get into 3rd from 2nd. I just bought the car and don't know what fluid is in the trans, so I'm looking for the right type

·
Registered
231 Posts
I researched this issue for months !!!! I was having a notchy issue 1st to 2nd and almost went with royal purple , but went to autozone and got penzoil synchromesh for 4.99 each and have had no problems since and I believe mine is still a little under filled. lol I would go synchromesh

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
man ,I having a concern with using the synthetic, everywhere I read its seems that over time the synthetic destroys the servos, I've read to lower the amount to 3.25 and use non-synth. I have no 1-2 or 2-3 grind, but have a hard time finding reverse and at speed it is sometimes hard to get into 3rd from 2nd. I just bought the car and don't know what fluid is in the trans, so I'm looking for the right type
A 5 speed transmission has no servos. Those are only in Automatics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not a trans pro at all, this stuff is all new to me, but I meant I've read alot about carbon fiber synchros going bad after long term use of synthetic fluid , thanks

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
You said Servos, not Synchros.......... lol

Mine has had synthetic in it for 60k miles, and probably 80 dragstrip passes, and my synchros are perfect. I've got 108k on the stock transmission, and it gets hell every time I drive it.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Here's the email message I received from Tremec:

Thank you for your interest in the TREMEC brand product. I receive daily questions and comments on aftermarket transmission fluids. For every person that tells me that Product X is the best fluid to run in my transmissions, I get the same number of individuals that tell me Product X is the worst fluid you can put into my transmissions. I can only give you our recommendations for my product line. For the TR3650 the recommended fluid is DEXRON III / MERCON Spec ATF, (Texaco). Alternative fluids can be G.M. Synchromesh, G.M. part number 12345349, (semi-synthetic), or Mobil 1 ATF, (full synthetic). If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

I have run the Synchromesh with great results. It was an immediate difference in my car.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I just got off the phone with Liberty Gears (Trans Masters) and they said that as long as the sulfur content of the fluid is not above a GL4 rating (GL5 for example) it will not damage the 3650’s sintered bronze syncro linings.

I had to call Amsoil because it was not listed on their site and the tech guy couldn’t even find sulfur in the ingredients of the “Red Label” ATF. And that it is a direct replacement for Ford’s recommended fluid(s) and meets all warranty and other requirements.

The guys at Liberty do suggest running “Original Formula” GM Syncromesh (get at dealer) though. They have had the best performance with that.

Let the controversy continue. :winks

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I just got off the phone with Liberty Gears (Trans Masters) and they said that as long as the sulfur content of the fluid is not above a GL4 rating (GL5 for example) it will not damage the 3650’s sintered bronze syncro linings.

I had to call Amsoil because it was not listed on their site and the tech guy couldn’t even find sulfur in the ingredients of the “Red Label” ATF. And that it is a direct replacement for Ford’s recommended fluid(s) and meets all warranty and other requirements.

The guys at Liberty do suggest running “Original Formula” GM Syncromesh (get at dealer) though. They have had the best performance with that.

Let the controversy continue. :winks
OK...
BUT...

It is the third and fourth gear Carbon-Fiber linings that separate from the rings...

I've not seen the "sintered" 1-2 rings damaged by anything but wear, and the poorly designed original style second gears do just that... WEAR!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tremec built the transmission to use syncromesh, ford used mercron instead because syncromesh is a Chevy product, So Ford will not tell you to use syncromesh. As for problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd, change your shifter to a short throw. I run syncromesh that I buy from a chevy parts counter, and a MGW shifter. No problems since I had the car, stop asking Ford for advice on your tremec trans.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am thinking of running Mobil1 syn atf fluid, with a little Lucas syn. oil treatment to keep an oil film on the gears / syncro. what do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts