Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have Manuals in all My mustang gts but with the 2006 mustang gt i bought at INVOICE it has a Automatic.Since I was getting the Stang Gt from the ford lot at invoice I was very happy....
Just wondering if the manual is that much different?
I am afraid of driving the car in low gear,,,,So i feel driving in 3rd or 4th should be ok around town....And overdrive on the highway.
I know my 2003 stang gt manual sounds good in low gear but just wondering if the sound is any different on the auto or manual???JohnnyT

·
Registered
134 Posts
Johnnytuinals said:
I used to have Manuals in all My mustang gts but with the 2006 mustang gt i bought at INVOICE it has a Automatic.Since I was getting the Stang Gt from the ford lot at invoice I was very happy....
Just wondering if the manual is that much different?
I am afraid of driving the car in low gear,,,,So i feel driving in 3rd or 4th should be ok around town....And overdrive on the highway.
I know my 2003 stang gt manual sounds good in low gear but just wondering if the sound is any different on the auto or manual???JohnnyT
My initial impression of manually shifting the automatic wasn't that good. I had been driving Jags prior to the stang and the Jag transmission allows for very precise shift control and is almost as much fun as a stick. However, after loading the 87 octane tune with my newly acquired SCT XCAL2, shifting is much improved, and a lot more satisfying. I just took her for a run in a road with some good curves and while I still think the Jag automatic has a better feel, the Mustang transmission with the XCAL2 tune allows for much better control with much more positive shifting allowing for compression breaking when you want it, not when the trans decides to do it.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to get the XCAL2 along and load one of the performance tunes ASAP. It will also help with the throttle delay as well as improving performance and giving you a fuel selection option you don't have without the XCAL2. I got my XCAL2 from VMP Tuning for a very reasonable price with an 87, 91 and 93 octane program.

http://www.vmptuning.com/cart/home.php

For more V6 specific information checkout http://v6power.net/.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Pyrat said:
My initial impression of manually shifting the automatic wasn't that good. I had been driving Jags prior to the stang and the Jag transmission allows for very precise shift control and is almost as much fun as a stick. However, after loading the 87 octane tune with my newly acquired SCT XCAL2, shifting is much improved, and a lot more satisfying. I just took her for a run in a road with some good curves and while I still think the Jag automatic has a better feel, the Mustang transmission with the XCAL2 tune allows for much better control with much more positive shifting allowing for compression breaking when you want it, not when the trans decides to do it.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to get the XCAL2 along and load one of the performance tunes ASAP. It will also help with the throttle delay as well as improving performance and giving you a fuel selection option you don't have without the XCAL2. I got my XCAL2 from VMP Tuning for a very reasonable price with an 87, 91 and 93 octane program.

http://www.vmptuning.com/cart/home.php

For more V6 specific information checkout http://v6power.net/.
Hey Pyrat,
Just curious after your XCAL2 tune … did your idle go up at all? I recently revised my predator tuner via my friends PC and I swear my idle seems higher (hair under 1K) I can't remember what it idled at before the tune. Thanks

·
Registered
829 Posts
On my diablo I can decide the idle speed when programming. For the automatic choose in gear and out of gear speeds.

·
Registered
134 Posts
sonny1213 said:
Hey Pyrat,
Just curious after your XCAL2 tune … did your idle go up at all? I recently revised my predator tuner via my friends PC and I swear my idle seems higher (hair under 1K) I can't remember what it idled at before the tune. Thanks
Turthfully, I didn't notice, it didn't sound like it did. I'll reload stock, check and let you know.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Hey, Thanks GIG & PY… for that. I'll get my tuner out and take a look at the idle adjust. I didn't see that before. Oh ya, when you're doing about 20-40 MPH and let off the gas … it doesn't come down. Like the cruise control being on. You have to brake in order for the throttle to come down.

·
Registered
134 Posts
sonny1213 said:
Hey Pyrat,
Using the 87 octane tune provided by VMP Tuning, and the Mustang's tach it appears that the stock idle is around 900 RPM on initial start up compared to 1000-1100 RMP using the 87Oct tune. After driving a bit the RPM comes down to just below 750 in stock trim and is right at 750 using the 87Oct tune. Unfortunately the Mustang tach could be a bit more precise, but that's what eyeballing it seems to indicate. Hope that helps.

PS. All readings were taken with the trans in park.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Hey,
The diablosport tuner in the adjustable parameter page showed the idle at 844 in both drive and neutral. I dropped it to 744 and it's much better now. Thanks for the headsup above. I wanted to mess w/ the shift points (1-2, 3-4, 4-5) were all at the 0 scale. I don't know how to adjust to make the shifts longer. The scale goes to -20(left) and +20(right)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered a GT Convertible with stick shift on Dec. 19. I haven't even gotten word that it is being built yet. I talked to several mustang owners that told me the automatic is awesome. I am thinking about changing my order and getting the automatic. Any opinion?

·
Registered
342 Posts
It depends on what you want. There's not going to be any huge penalty either way. For a lot of people an automatic is much more consistant at the dragstrip and it's also easier to live with if you drive the car every day.

That said, my personal preference is for the manual gearbox. The clutch on the Mustang GT is easily light enough to hold down through a several stoplight cycles and the engagement is nicely progressive.

From what I've heard, both gearboxes are great and neither one will punish you. I say go with what you like. :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
A tune will greatly improve the automatic... I have mine adjusted so it's no so upshift happy... no more being in 3rd gear at 16MPH! LOL! I don't come out of first until 18MPH! I also had Lidio set my shift firmness at WOT to "Barbaric"! LOL! This new auto tranny is great... especially if you customize it to your driving style! (aggressive!)

The other thing is if you manually try shifting the automatic, don't be surprised it there is a delay in the shift... the computer contols the shift and it won't allow a shift until the computer says it's ok! LOL!

·
Registered
93 Posts
HossMan said:
I ordered a GT Convertible with stick shift on Dec. 19. I haven't even gotten word that it is being built yet. I talked to several mustang owners that told me the automatic is awesome. I am thinking about changing my order and getting the automatic. Any opinion?
When I got my GT as a Gift from my wife, I was (internally Pissed) that it was an Automatic Tranny. All my cars have all been a manual, except my 2000 Z71 truck.
But after the tune and some articles I have read about the new 5R55S five-speed automatic is so well refined that this tranny is keeping up with it's Manual counter parts.

So overall I have come to enjoy the automatic (especially in the Washington DC traffic) I can feel my left leg again :winks I don't regret having the automatic so with the new mustangs it comes down to personal preference.

Future Mods for my auto trans
Torgue Converter
4:10 gears
Aluminum Drive Shaft
Then I will Love it

·
Registered
886 Posts
I hear the auto is the best Ford has built yet, but I still have good knees and wouldn't have it without the stick. Too much fun!!! It forces you to be more involved in driving the car. You get to do cool things like match-rpm downshifts and compression braking.:thumbsup

besides, my left foot gets board.:winks

·
Registered
134 Posts
HossMan,

I was kind of disappointed in the automatic. I have driven Jags which have a U shaped shift gate, allowing automatic operation on one side and manual on the other. The Jag transmission is great when you are in road race mode on the appropriate back road, allowing for almost the control of the manual. Since Jag is owned by Ford, I was expecting the Mustang's automatic to allow more positive manual shifting than it does, but while it does perform much better than older autos, if you are really into road racing and like to work your transmission while driving, you would probably find the manual more satisfying when in race mode.

However for day to day driving the automatic performs very well and is probably the choice if you are not totally into the road racing thing. You can still manually shift it, and it is enjoyable, but just not quite as much fun as a manual.

Drag race-wise you will give up a bit at launch, but your shifts will be faster than most people can shift their manual and the consistency of your shifts will better than about 99% of the drivers you will meat on the road.

The addition of an tune will greatly improve the transmissions performance, so you will probably want to look into an XCal2 since generally opinion seems to favor it for the automatic cars over the Predator.

Regarding the wait for your car, I'd be all over the dealership, it shouldn't take anywhere near three months to get a car from Ford.

Good luck,

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to change my shift points on an auto with an Xcal2. If I go into the custom mode?- will I be able to see where my dealer set them before I change it, and do these shift points only come into play at WOT?

·
Registered
134 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts