Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks back i test drove a manual v6 and the power was so much greater to an auto. My question is if its worth upgrading a auto or chould i look into a manual?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
well alot of the serious drag guys all have turbo 400 or power glied tranys those are autos. i have a 5 speed and i love it. so much fun to drive :laugh:. its waht you are looking to do. autos are more concestant with the et's at the drag strip. all about what you like:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
231 Posts
ya couldn't agree more with quick shift
I have an auto but I dont drag...ever
I would have loved to get a manual but I didnt know how to drive one when i got my car.
My dads jeep is a manual and it is was more fun to drive! Something to think about. Fun driver or consistent ets??

·
Registered
180 Posts
:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup ^^^.......stick makes the car sound so sexy and you get a little more power to the wheels... auto is quicker shifts all about what you want man

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup ^^^.......stick makes the car sound so sexy and you get a little more power to the wheels... auto is quicker shifts all about what you want man
Not with a stock 4r70w. But with a shift kit and tuning, I'd prefer an auto over a manual. An extra gear would be nice too.
But, its what you prefer...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I personally enjoy downshifting into turns and the control you get with a manual. But if its a dedicated drag car going for quickest times Auto hands down. Although you won't get quite the mileage out of an auto though if its a drag car who cares it ain't about mileage.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Each one has their ups and downs. Choose what fits you best.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
that extra 10% is called a torque converter.....

i have a shift kit and a good tune in my auto and i get swirly on a shift into second, i try not to do that shift around turns but a i forget sometimes :winks

i like it better most of the times but that extra gear would be nice, thinking about a custom 6 speed auto swap from a newer stang if i ever get that disposable of an income :laugh:

when i get into the city traffic i am greatful i have an auto to much work in little rock

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you want to get more power out of an auto you could buy a tuner like SCT or ect,, alot of them say they improve auto transmission shift points to get you more accleration.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I feel better having an auto... Kinda. Ive been looking into that shift kit and some gears and maybe a slip dif. But that little pull after you change the gear and accelerate is amazing could that ever be pulled of in an auto?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
they improve shift points but nothing like a shift kit, the kit actually improves lifespan, the tuner just makes it work harder..

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you want to have fun on the streets or you aren't doing any serious drag racing, I'd take a manual. But like others have said, you will get more consistent ET's with the auto because you don't have to worry about missing a gear and the transmission shifts the same..every time lol

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Be careful with just getting a tune to firm up the shifts, i had to have all my transmission settings returned to stock after 2 weeks and 6 different tunes because anytime i put on an 87street or performance tune my transmission jumped on the 3-2 downshift as well as hanging in the middle, it didnt do that on stock, i still have my air fuel and all that calibrated just no tranny performance except the removal of the rev limiter.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
You mean 4-3 down shift?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
i have a bama tune.. mines never given me trouble.. feels better the way it is...

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
i have a bama tune.. mines never given me trouble.. feels better the way it is...
I think he has a shift kit, they can get the trans stuff right even if the A/F is way off lol

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
i have no idea if i have a shift kit, if i do it was there before I got the car and i wasnt told about it. As for the trouble shift it was the 3-4 donwshift cause it occured at about 35mph which is usually where i shifted up to 3rd.

Loved the rest of the tune though even with stock tranny settings it feels great performance wise.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
i have no idea if i have a shift kit, if i do it was there before I got the car and i wasnt told about it. As for the trouble shift it was the 3-4 donwshift cause it occured at about 35mph which is usually where i shifted up to 3rd.

Loved the rest of the tune though even with stock tranny settings it feels great performance wise.
same exact thing happened to mine, at 35-36mph it would jerk really hard then downshift, you already have a shift kit, i also got my car and was completely unaware of it already having one, bought the car with it haha saves you some trouble!!

why didnt you get a higher octane tune than 87 street and performance? or have you just not tried out the 91/93 race tune yet? once you do you will love it, the car comes alive and is so much more responsive

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
ATM ive got my parents paying for gas and with the prices right now i dont want to start having to fill up on 89(kinda hard to find) or 91(even harder to find) or even 93 cause that 20 or so cents more per gallon times about 9 gallons a week is something like 3 bucks more over the year thats a good deal, atleast in their opinion.

Sometime once 91/93 hits 3.50 or so ill fill up empty the 87put a bit more 91/93 and try out the race tune, i know ill love it, i just dont wana have to start filling up on the expensive stuff yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts