Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto to Manual Transmission Swap

20K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  nickvillan87 
#1 ·
So I wanna eventually swap out the auto transmission I have for a manual. Can anyone enlighten me on the details of such a project (ie. parts, cost, etc)?

#3 ·
Transmission cost is one thing. Then clutch pedal, brackets, etc.

Lifting, dropping, cutting, drilling...

Cursing, swearing, going broke...

Why so sudden? Why didn't you buy a stick in the first place?

#5 ·
Transmission cost is one thing. Then clutch pedal, brackets, etc.

Lifting, dropping, cutting, drilling...

Cursing, swearing, going broke...

Why so sudden? Why didn't you buy a stick in the first place?
You left out PCM, wiring harness, console top, shifter and mount, the list goes on and on.

This is why it would be TONS cheaper and easier to swap to a manual car than it would be to swap transmissions.

#7 ·
Shoooooo' 'Nuuuufffffffff!!!

#10 ·
The cost and the amount of frustration going along with that kind of project doesn't out weigh whatever benefits you might gain by just going with an auto to manual swap. Now, if you wanted to sometime down the line go with a paddle shifter system, then it might be worth it, just cuz it would be different and you would stand out from the crowd, but thats not exactly cheap either. And that's not exactly something everyone likes here in America. If you want it done correctly, a ballpark guess would be around 8-10k for parts and labor. If the car is paid off, just take the hit on trade in value, or sell it privately and get a manual car, it's much cheaper and less of a hassle doing that than trying to swap transmissions.

#13 ·
DITTO + 1 million!

G
#12 ·
I find these type of questions somewhat frustrating because:
A. There is already a car out there to suit your needs without pulling a Frankenstein on your original car
B. The cost and time involved really diminishes and perceived value you might get
C. It may never work out as intended or like stock would.

I liken this to someone wanting to replace a 3.7 or a 4.0 with a 5.0. It costs a lot less to just sell your current car and buy the car with the motor you want. And it's fairly seamless, you're not without a car for days or weeks.

#14 ·
trust everyone on that one, not worth it man. I had a lexus race car, the danm swap was going to cost me more than the car and engine swap i did to it (put a chevy small block in it XD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.