Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share an interesting situation I had this morning. I pull out onto the street in my 11 GT, and suddenly the traction-control light starts blinking and my front brakes begin to pump sporadically and not in unison. I maintained control and pulled over. I let the car warm up while pumping the break pedal a few times here and there. I pulled back out, and once i hit about 20mph it started again. So i pulled over again, and turned Traction-Control off. I pulled out again, accelerated, and this time nothing happened. So, i cautiously pull out onto a small side road with nobody on it so i can give it some gas. Once i hit about 40mph, the light blinked and it happened all over again (even though Traction-Control was manually off).

So, i turned Traction-Control back on and off a few times, and just drove around for 20 min. keeping it under 25mph. When I felt comfortable again, I went back on that small road and gave it some more juice. Nothing happened, even when i got up around 60-70mph. It was like there was never a problem...Its been 4 months since i put 20" wheels and put lowering springs on it, so i don't understand why now all of the sudden its acting up.

Needless to say, i road my motorcycle to work today and am taking the car in on Tuesday. Good thing i have a "freebie 1st Maintenance" coupon from the dealer who sold me the car. I'll prolly toss an oil change in there for good measure...

Anyone else experienced this? ...The sensation was kinda like when the anti-lock brakes kick in, only a little more rough, and only on one side at a time. Weird...

·
Registered
532 Posts
CHRISTINE!!!

I guess "OFF" isn't "OFF"... That's spooky.

Appears that the TC or anti skid computer had a spasm... Should be a warranty fix if the car is still under warranty... Wonder if the car's computer is set to record that type of failure.

Suspect the TC system was designed and programmed in China ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I thought I'd share an interesting situation I had this morning. I pull out onto the street in my 11 GT, and suddenly the traction-control light starts blinking and my front brakes begin to pump sporadically and not in unison. I maintained control and pulled over. I let the car warm up while pumping the break pedal a few times here and there. I pulled back out, and once i hit about 20mph it started again. So i pulled over again, and turned Traction-Control off. I pulled out again, accelerated, and this time nothing happened. So, i cautiously pull out onto a small side road with nobody on it so i can give it some gas. Once i hit about 40mph, the light blinked and it happened all over again (even though Traction-Control was manually off).

So, i turned Traction-Control back on and off a few times, and just drove around for 20 min. keeping it under 25mph. When I felt comfortable again, I went back on that small road and gave it some more juice. Nothing happened, even when i got up around 60-70mph. It was like there was never a problem...Its been 4 months since i put 20" wheels and put lowering springs on it, so i don't understand why now all of the sudden its acting up.

Needless to say, i road my motorcycle to work today and am taking the car in on Tuesday. Good thing i have a "freebie 1st Maintenance" coupon from the dealer who sold me the car. I'll prolly toss an oil change in there for good measure...

Anyone else experienced this? ...The sensation was kinda like when the anti-lock brakes kick in, only a little more rough, and only on one side at a time. Weird...
are your front and rear tires the same size? check the tire pressure.. you would be surprised how sensitive the dsc is.

beers

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So here's the update:

I just got back from the Dealer and everything is fine. They checked everything and ran the codes and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. They told me that sometimes if you hit speed-bump too fast or accidentally rub up to a curb, this can confuse the thing and cause it to "re-learn" the traction or something. Now, i don't recall hitting any curbs, but the entrance to my parking garage is pretty steep and if your not moving like a snail you'll bottom out up front. So, maybe I rubbed it and this was the issue...The good news is, I wasn't charged for anything. Even considering I have Eibach springs and larger wheels.

This car is too smart. I don't like it. Life's simpler in the Fastback. :gringreen

·
Registered
65 Posts
Even though you turn the TC off the Advantec system is still on. If you really want no computer interference, when you first turn the car on hold down the brake pedal and hold the TC button for 10 seconds or so. You will see Advantec off and no more computer interference (untill you turn the car off).

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
10,689 Posts
Hi Doug -- what problem are you having?

I don't think the steering rack has anything to do with advancetrack issues, but it does have to do with other things.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Sound's like the same issue my '12 had that eventually led up to the autotrack service message. I went to a few shops and dealers, did some research and got told all sorts of crazy stuff like replace the steering tack, replace the ABS computer etc. but ultimately I fixed it for free. https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/9235831-post6.html read this post for the instructions for what I did, hope it helps you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you have Advanced traction off (press and hold trac button for 5 seconds and touch the brake pedal) or just traction control? Advanced traction control disables the stability control.

I had this issue twice in 2015 before I built my 11s suspension and I was thinking it had something to do with the stability control.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty sure I just had the traction control off. I was unaware of the advance-trac move until later.

Anyway, I took it into a dealer after this happened and they told me nothing was wrong. Told me it was "growing pains" and that everything they checked was normal. It has never happened again since that day, so I guess they were right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts