Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im trying to get more torque outta my v6 ive been thinking about getting a shift kit for it what do yall think?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
jmod, more reliable and cheaper, enjoy!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
You won't get more torque out of it froma shift kit it just makes the trans work better, increase the displacement :p (not saying V8, bigger V6) Or get a good cam!

Idk about a jmod being more reliable but it is cheaper

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Cam will make it feel less torquey because it moves the powerband up.

You want rear gears. They multipy the torque and make he car accelerate faster.

I did put a Baumann shift kit in my 95 GT. It send from smooth and soft shift to faster and firm shifts. Not sure if it technically made the car faster though. Never compared before and after at the track.

And if you're trying to go faster you better re-think your future 18s with 295 front and 315 rear. Those are going to slow you way the Hell down a lot.... like loosing 50 hp

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
With a properly speced cam it won't feel like crap on the low end :bigthumbsup

Tq converter helps too, I love mine, just touching the gas makes it pull haha

But yes rear gears are also a great mod for that extra torquy feel...

Metalman, I bet you shaved off a tenth or two!!!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
if by properly speced you mean very mild then yeah

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I got two 4.2 cams at the house want one? Lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a Fairbanks TransAction shift kit put in mine when it was recently rebuilt. The kit comes with a couple settings. Mine was installed using the 'Heavy Duty' spring set that essentially gives you a taxi/interceptor feel. City driving is little changed, but when you play a bit more in the power band, it feels a bit funner.

If I had the money (and the other parts...) I'd take the kit to the next step. My 1-2 shift is a bit mild from what I was expecting, while the 2-3 and drop into od is much nicer. The more sporty feel I get from my kit is actually during deceleration. The trans holds the gears on zero-throttle a bit more, and you can actually feel it downshift progressively and give a bit of engine-braking when pulling to a stop from speed.

You will not get a more torque-ey feel from the shift kit. New rear-end gears will do that for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts