Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I tried to locate this thread, but no luck. I noticed a hissing when in reverse w/ my foot firmly on the brake. This only happens when the car has been driven for awhile and is hot. I'm pretty sure this has happened to others. :worship
Oh ya, the touch up paint I ordered from etouchup.com is way to light. I have satin silver .I got some nasty rock gouges right behind the pass. front wheel on the side skirt. I drove in a nasty rain storm and was hitting all kinds of puddles on the highway. The scariest time behind the wheel in the stang so far. This is when I got the damage.

·
Registered
260 Posts
sonny1213 said:
I noticed a hissing when in reverse w/ my foot firmly on the brake. This only happens when the car has been driven for awhile and is hot. I'm pretty sure this has happened to others. :worship
I just read about this in the PDF technical specs on the Ford website - VERY interesting! It's a french-built transmission..... the hissing noise is intentional, to remind the the driver that when reversing/retreating due to capitulation or outright surrender, to maintain a superior tone and attitude. This would include looking down your nose as you back up, and "hissing" at any less cultured individuals that may happen to be touristing in your area and whom may be tempted to come to your defense.

A regular "ding-ding-ding" alarm chime was going to be used but the hissing sound was chosen to be more "haughty" (that's the word used in the PDF spec).

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stoopy said:
I just read about this in the PDF technical specs on the Ford website - VERY interesting! It's a french-built transmission..... the hissing noise is intentional, to remind the the driver that when reversing/retreating due to capitulation or outright surrender, to maintain a superior tone and attitude. This would include looking down your nose as you back up, and "hissing" at any less cultured individuals that may happen to be touristing in your area and whom may be tempted to come to your defense.

A regular "ding-ding-ding" alarm chime was going to be used but the hissing sound was chosen to be more "haughty" (that's the word used in the PDF spec).
I give 3 short blasts when reversing my ship out of the slip or 1 prolonged when leaving.You wouldn't be pulling my leg now would ya :confused:

·
Registered
829 Posts
sonny1213 said:
Hey all,
I tried to locate this thread, but no luck. I noticed a hissing when in reverse w/ my foot firmly on the brake. This only happens when the car has been driven for awhile and is hot. I'm pretty sure this has happened to others. :worship
Oh ya, the touch up paint I ordered from etouchup.com is way to light. I have satin silver .I got some nasty rock gouges right behind the pass. front wheel on the side skirt. I drove in a nasty rain storm and was hitting all kinds of puddles on the highway. The scariest time behind the wheel in the stang so far. This is when I got the damage.
Funny, I here a crunch.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
sonny1213 said:
I give 3 short blasts when reversing my ship out of the slip or 1 prolonged when leaving.You wouldn't be pulling my leg now would ya :confused:
Oh! My bad....I wasn't thinkin' in nautical terms. Could be that your rudder is fouled with barnacles and that hissing noise is just them getting scraped off against the pilings? Maybe parking on the lee side to help keep the keel clear could help?

Seriously....no, heck no I've no idea why you'd hear that in your 'Stang. These things seem to make all kinds of little noises any which-way you point 'em. Until mine starts making death screams and eerie voices while driving at night, or multiple rod-knocking sounds I'm not gonna worry about it.

Maybe it just has a bad attitude and a strong distate for going in any direction that isn't fast...like a Possum?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
829 Posts
mee sorry .. I am being a shite.....

May be you have a vacuum line off somewhere but heck I would surely think you would get a MIL. Is the sound inside the cabin? May be you have a bad manifold on the heat/defrost acuator. Russ (Thanks for being a sport)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arrgggh, plenty of barnacles on the pilings here, but not on my running gear! I hear the noise outside of the car when the windows are down and yes it does sound like a vacuum leak. I was between two parked cars when I noticed today. I know this is going to get worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts