Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive got an 89 lx hatchback and it has an automatic tranny now almost all the people i've talked to say that the automatics are pieces of crap. now i find it hard to believe that the transmission is that bad but i thought i would ask here and see what ur guys' opinions on it was

·
Registered
579 Posts
AOD if your mustang is a '89 going by your user name is crap because of the internals and the way the transmission shifts. The AODE is a much better unit used in the newer cars

·
Registered
28 Posts
yup

I've got one and I'd pretty much recommend NOT installing one as mine disappoints me on a regular basis. Then again, this is the only auto trans vehicle I've ever owned. Nah, who am I kidding, it sucks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
me and my dad did a little research and found that the torque converter is mechanical instead of electronic and thats what screws up and then its like a domino effect. so we figure we can put in a different converter and fix it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you most likely have the A4LD transmission, 3 speed with O/D. and yes, they are a piece of sh!t. and to answer a further question... if youre thinking about swapping a 5 speed in, its not worth the work. theres too many parts involved, including a whole new/different driveshaft.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hmmmm

just run it until it blows. I don't like mine because it shifts sloppily and hard, and when it's cold it doesn't act right until I've been running it for awhile. You could always look into other auto trans. that ford used in later years. I've never looked into it myself and the mustang didn't change that much so there might be a better model that you could shoehorn in, if you're that dissatisfied. I don't like the trans in my car but switching to a manual would be a bit of work, and if I'm going to do that I'd be just as far ahead to upgrade the motor.

Personally I'm going to keep mine until it blows and then decide if I'm junking the car or ripping out the driveline and putting in something clearly superior. After all, there are not many cars cheaply available today with strong aftermarket support and enough room under the hood to allow for pretty much any motor you want, any transmission you want, etc. It goes back to the old question : "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rustang said:
just run it until it blows. I don't like mine because it shifts sloppily and hard, and when it's cold it doesn't act right until I've been running it for awhile. You could always look into other auto trans. that ford used in later years. I've never looked into it myself and the mustang didn't change that much so there might be a better model that you could shoehorn in, if you're that dissatisfied. I don't like the trans in my car but switching to a manual would be a bit of work, and if I'm going to do that I'd be just as far ahead to upgrade the motor.

Personally I'm going to keep mine until it blows and then decide if I'm junking the car or ripping out the driveline and putting in something clearly superior. After all, there are not many cars cheaply available today with strong aftermarket support and enough room under the hood to allow for pretty much any motor you want, any transmission you want, etc. It goes back to the old question : "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"
they dont all line up the same. and you may have to still do the same thing as if you were converting it to manual, with the whole driveshaft deal because of the sizing difference possibility.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Mustanghatch89 I Got A 89 2.3l Efi Mustang Lx. And It Has A 5speed In It. It Is Fun To Drive Its Faster Then The 76 Mustang 2 Doorhardtop 2.3l Carb Auto And My 82 Mustang 2.3l Carb Auto That I Use To Have. I Even Test Drive A 91hatchback Mustang 2.3l Efi Auto And It Was Way Slower Then My Car I Could Beatit Off The Line With My Mustang. Just 1problem The Cluchcable Streaches And Can Figer Out Why It Does That. Any Mustangs I'll Get In The Future Will Have To Be 5 Speeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.