Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just wondering wich should i get?

when i goto ford they ask for calibration # auto zone doesn't ask for it.
will the motocraft get me better gas mileage ?

there is a $50 difference in price but if its gonna mess up my engine performance i'll get the motocraft.

thanks in advance for the help.

Jason

·
Registered
554 Posts
Is it worth 50 bucks to KNOW that you are putting in a reliable part vs guessing on another? I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get it right the first time.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I'd just about bet my bottom dollar that both sensors are made by Bosch.

·
Registered
701 Posts
First of all:
Regarding Oxygen sensors, Bosch has a world market volume of about 98%!!!
I am 99 % sure that the Motorcraft ones are made by Bosch.

Second:
When I changed mine after 100K miles, I went with the Bosch ones.
4 Sensors $50 difference saved me $200... which can be spent somewhere else.
After changing them, I really felt a great improvement in driveability and it also improved my gas mileage.
Don't be affraid just because they look diffrent, the signal going to the ECU is exactly the same.
The geometry of the openings with three long slots (Bosch) is a lot better than the tiny holes of the ford design. those slots do some kind of a swirl and therefore the reaction time of the Bosch ones "should" be even faster.

ONE THING:
Do not only replace only one Oxqgen Sensor, change them all. This should be done becouse they change the value of the signal over time - not by much, but yes they do. Having different values on the left or right side (also down stream and up stream) might confuse the ECU. (-> and there goes the check engine light again)

Hope this info helps you to make a decission.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Heres my advice: Don't buy ANYTHING from Autozone. They sell junk parts that are designed to fail quickly. Find a place that sells Bosch O2 sensors (Bosch invented these things, you know) and buy them. I wouldn't buy an air freshener from the zone.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
Heres my advice: Don't buy ANYTHING from Autozone. They sell junk parts that are designed to fail quickly. Find a place that sells Bosch O2 sensors (Bosch invented these things, you know) and buy them. I wouldn't buy an air freshener from the zone.
Damned "the air freshener"!
Now I understand - that's probabely why my tranny failed...:winks he he...

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
engineer76 said:
Damned "the air freshener"!
Now I understand - that's probabely why my tranny failed...:winks he he...
And thats how they get ya'! :drink:

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Dude, I've never had a single problem with a part from AutoZone. Advance is a completely different story though.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
Dude, I've never had a single problem with a part from AutoZone. Advance is a completely different story though.
Don't worry, you will.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Fyi

Monkey Boy said:
Don't worry, you will.
Autozone sells BOSCH sensors.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I've been buying from them for over a decade so even if I did have a problem, it'd still be a damn good track record.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your going too traditionally pay higher prices for parts going to a dealer. Even with an employee discount, NAPA still came in cheaper where I work so I went with NAPA. I ended up having MIDAS put them on because they have the cheapest labor rates at the time. That was earlier this year and they have worked like a charm ever since. I wouldn't get too hung up on brand names. Wether it be NGK, Bosch or Motorcraft, just stick with somebody you've heard of and you'll be fine. I just googled oxygen sensor and found about a half dozen places that sell them so you not just limited by your home town. Either way good luck puff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.