Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my first-ever Solo 2 event Sunday, at beautiful Watermelon Capital Speedway in Cordele, GA, hosted by the Middle GA chapter of the SCCA. Man, what a blast. We used to do this kind of crap in high school, but it was illegal!

Anyhoo, the car was great, I have a lot to learn. My first run through the 14 turn course in the infield of the speedway was 49.8 sec, I think, and my best run of the day was 43.2. My buddy who does this occaisionally (in his C5 Vette) had a best time of 38 or so. I was happy with my improvement. My 2 main lessons for the day:
1. When the front wheels are sliding , no amount of throttle will make them re-adhere.:rolleyes:
2. Whatever the GT needs to truly be competitive in this, it's NOT more HP!!!!:winks

One of the best parts was the trip home, following John in the C5 down 2 lane country hwys at 80-100mph. Don't let anybody tell you a stock GT can't hang on the open road. And from a stop? Yeah, he pulled away, but not by very much at all. He was very surprised. Another 30-40 hp, and it's a dead match.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Looks like fun! Id like to give that a try sometime.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ultraclyde said:
My 2 main lessons for the day:
1. When the front wheels are sliding , no amount of throttle will make them re-adhere.:rolleyes:
2. Whatever the GT needs to truly be competitive in this, it's NOT more HP!!!!:winks
You have indeed, learned the two most valuable lessons of slaloms. Brakes don't help much either (see #1.), Better to hold a lower gear, using engine braking, and proceed conservatively...getting quicker in each run. once you blow a turn in a slalom, it's impossible to make that time up. Much better to err on the side of caution. Your times will be better that way.

Power is not the key to quick times, in fact, it's easy to have too much. You'll run out of traction LONG before you run out of grunt in a slalom!

It's easy to get the bug, too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts