1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a couple links:

http://http://www.rmsolo.org/help.html

http://www.rgrscca.org/

Thinking about getting into this sport:kooky: . Anybody here do this? There seems to be a lot going on in New Mexico and around the frontrange. I am in the 4-Corners area myself and would most likely hit the NM scene since it is the closest. If anybody here does this with their Mustang, any pointers? Tire pressures type of info etc? Thanks in advance:wavey !

BTW, I will be running in the stock classes for now:cool: .

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Here is a Tip... Stru tower Brace, IRS swap, and lowering Springs.
Hope you have a stick, and get some 4.10's... turn traction control off... have fun :eyepoppin

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's a lot of fun and the people are usually great.

SHEEESH!!!! You DONT have to go start modding your car to do this!!!! Be advised once you do, it's gonna be pretty hard to stay in the stock class....why not just go and have a good time! This is the PERFECT thing to go wring your car out with, totally casual and cheap!

Best advice I got, was leave your tire pressure alone, too high and you'll break traction, and too low and you'll deal with the tire "rolling over" on the edge. Leave it be.

Empty your trunk and stuff prior to going, since during inspection (mandatory) they'll ping you on any loose objects in the vehicle and trunk. Also, remove your driver's floor mat - it counts as a loose object.

It's good if you have a buddy to go with to help kill the time between heats, but the people are usually quite friendly and you'll have no problems striking up conversation.

Most course setups will vary but will fit right in with using second gear through the course, as it's a very forgiving gear. Watch as many runs as you can before your heat, learn the course (be sure to get there early, and take advantage of the opportunity to walk the course with everyone before the start), have someone explain what the cones laying on their sides mean,and the double-cone gates. Take your time the first run, learning the course, this is where most people blow it. Second run, be a bit more aggressive but watch the course, third run, GO FOR IT!!!

GOOD CALL, HAVE A BALL!!

Oh...cool extra's for ya.....

A nice little website with some videos (one -oncar camera I believe) of an '05 GT running some autocross course....STOCK, by the way......
http://www.throttlehorseracing.com/autocrossvideo.html

..and some pics of an autocross eventI went to a while back......you can find two Mustang GT's in the first picture if you look...which ran in Stock condition, by the way......

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/Torq/Stoop/SCCA_VA_01.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/Torq/Stoop/SCCA_VA_03.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/Torq/Stoop/SCCA_VA_08.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/Torq/Stoop/SCCA_VA_10.jpg

(that last car, theTR-6, has some pretty interesting Ford V8 power.. .....careful observers will note the Shaker hood scoop...)

·
Registered
829 Posts
wow, I'm likin' this stuff. I watched all the vids..... Now I want to do it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stoopy offers some very good advice (as I knew he would:winks ) and has the right attitude.

In another life a few decades ago, I did beaucoup slaloms and autocross events in a variety of sports cars and had WAY big fun. Among the advantages are that in a time trial event, you can't really ding your ride as you're out there alone, there are seldom any real barriers nearby, and the speeds aren't that great (you'll likely never see fourth gear, and not that much of third on most safety concious courses and in the confines you usually get to run in). If you get into it, a separate set of slalom tires can be a good thing to have.

"Back in the day", the true sports cars had a lot of edge because of stiff springing and short wheelbases. Only the AMX (two seat AMC Javelin) and occasional 'Vette (Cobra's too, if any showed up...though big power can be a disadvantage...) really represented the 'Murican side. Once in a while a Camaro did OK, but best times were usually Porches, "Spridgets" with near go-cart springing, and Triumphs/Lotus'/other Brit stuff.

Mustangs should adapt well in a suitable class. If I were to go to one tomorrow, I'd pump the tires up pretty good (it can be useful to be "loose" on the rear) and try to get all out of 2nd that I could. Stoopy is correct, knowing the course is key to a good "time", and you don't have all that long to learn it or so many runs, so make the most of it. Keep the fuel load reasonable and you should have a heckuva' good time.

The "Olden days" (here at Charlotte Motor Speedway, now Loews' Motor Speedway)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Ascout/GT6CMS3xx.jpg

Dang, I'm getting motivated just thinkin' about it now!

·
Registered
886 Posts
oh hell.....this is gonna cost me, i can tell. Helmet, tires, suspension, gas....but boy, that looks like the whole reason I bought this kind of car!!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Anyone in the Tulsa Area wanting to try this out here's a link to several events in the area: http://www.neoklascca.org/soloschedule.htm. I use to do a some SCCA road racing events. Mainly High Speed touring class. But I'm going to give this a try. I'm planning on doing the Nov 27 event with some firends. if anyone in the area would like to join, send me a PM! It's a great way to safely play with your car and increase your skills for not so much $$$.

My car has been modified somewhat. Exhaust, Lowered and big beefs for handling, so I'm not sure what class I'll fall into. Hopefully stock...:laughlitt I'm planning to use the event more as a test and tune day.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ascout said:
The "Olden days" (here at Charlotte Motor Speedway, now Loews' Motor Speedway)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Ascout/GT6CMS3xx.jpg

Dang, I'm getting motivated just thinkin' about it now!
Heh! Told youse guys this Ascout dude is good peeps!! That's a great set of photo's....and a gorgeous Triumph! Kind of breaks my heart I never did the same with either of my old Fiat X/1-9's, they shoulda done fairly well I think.

I'm still not exactly sure, but these days, even a wheel/tire mod might put you in another class other than stock Solo 2, and you don't need a helmet either, so this will cost the $30-$35 registration fee (your area may vary) and that's about it.

The wife has since expressed some...ummmm....."concern"......well-voiced and quite clear........about using the brand new car for competition purposes. Mentions things like monthly payments, warranty, insurance, and other big fancy words like that which are hard for this simpleton to grasp and understand.....still and all, quite a good time can be had for less than a tank o'gas...which Ascout rightly points out you won't need to bring much of, anyways.

Take an open mind as well, because as he also says, you'll see a lot of makes and types, and some approaching "rice", but that's OK. The Mini Coopers tend to really do well, as do Suburu WRX's and Mitsu Lancers, etc. I like that personally...more of a "car thing" than a "class thing".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is one this weekend in Farmington, NM. I am going to check that out. They also have a "Ladies" class and my wife wants to try it too:drool:. I am planning on keeping the tank at 1/3 or less, removing all the above said items and keeping my tire pressure at around the 32 psi range using co2 (for expansion purposes). I do have a 5 speed and found that even at my altitude, the car launches pretty good in second. But will probably stay with starting in first since it only has 1400 miles on her and I don't want to roast the clutch. I think I will keep it close to the 4000-4500 rpm mark without a lot of playing with the gears, and as stated previously, not really get past third.

The tough decision I really have is having to make sure the car is super clean before I put on the "magnets" for the numbering on the side of the car to avoid any scratches.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Am Dream - Take bottle of quick detailer and a rag and wipe the area (and the back of the mag) down well right before you put it on. I work at a sign shop and this is what we reco to customers. Don't slide it around to reposition, and you hould be good-to-go.

Also, if anybody else is in Central Georgia, there's an event this weekend.

The SCCA website says helmets are required:sosad: , bt I haven't been able to open the rulebook pdf yet to verify.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stoopy said:
Heh! Told youse guys this Ascout dude is good peeps!! That's a great set of photo's....and a gorgeous Triumph! Kind of breaks my heart I never did the same with either of my old Fiat X/1-9's, they shoulda done fairly well I think.

The wife has since expressed some...ummmm....."concern"......well-voiced and quite clear........about using the brand new car for competition purposes. Mentions things like monthly payments, warranty, insurance, and other big fancy words like that which are hard for this simpleton to grasp and understand.....still and all, quite a good time can be had for less than a tank o'gas...which Ascout rightly points out you won't need to bring much of, anyways.

Take an open mind as well, because as he also says, you'll see a lot of makes and types, and some approaching "rice", but that's OK. The Mini Coopers tend to really do well, as do Suburu WRX's and Mitsu Lancers, etc. I like that personally...more of a "car thing" than a "class thing".
Well, I mighta' neglected to mention the valve I burned in a '63 E-Type doing this (a 16 hour R&R boo-boo on them old Jags)...which points me to an object lesson for your wife...and any others watching:

These things aren't decided by high RPM and hundreths of a second on the timer...there is NO POINT WHATSOEVER in pushing your engine really hard as you're going to be traction-limited. Consistant, smooth acceleration/deceleration is everything. It's easy to overdrive the car...then you can count on killing some cones. One overheated turn and your run turns all pear-shaped, you'll never recover in the time available in a single run.

Yes, now, as in the olden days, I'd expect the smaller cars like the Mini's to be pretty dominant....larger American cars (including the Mustang) are not the optimal setup for quickest times, but heaps 'O fun just trying not to embarrass yourself. Go to have fun, and don't burn any valves!:winks

I've already checked my local SCCA Solo catagory for upcoming meets and events....I think I just got sucked in (for the first time since the '70's):laughlitt

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Im Game to go to any near the knoxville area. Anyone nearby that wants a buddy to join... I will be more than happy to meet up and go try not to embarris ourselves together

G

·
Kyle F said:
Im Game to go to any near the knoxville area. Anyone nearby that wants a buddy to join... I will be more than happy to meet up and go try not to embarris ourselves together
We have a SCCA chapter here in Knoxville that has regular scheduled events in some of the parking lots at local high schools. I think you have to join the SCCA so that you will have liability insurance to compete at these events. If your interested let me know. Its a blast in a Mustang GT and you don't have to worry about trashing your car. With a new 05 you won't have to worry about passing the tech inspection, so all you have to do is pump up your tires to 40lbs of pressure, strap on a helmet and enjoy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Auto-crossing the GT

You betcha! Get on a racetrack somewhere cuz just like Daryl Waltrip these cars were born to race!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Okay, i'm taking her out Sunday for the first try at it. A friend who runs his 03 vette is going down with me to show me the ropes.

Couple questions - somebody mentioned 40psi in the tires - given an 85 degree day, is that too high, or should I stick around 35?

also - taking out spare, jack, etc, makes it lighter, but is it better leave it in for weight balance?

probably moot on a stock car, but what the hey....

wish me luck!! one borrowed helmet, and off I go....:tongue

·
Registered
184 Posts
ultraclyde said:
Okay, i'm taking her out Sunday for the first try at it. A friend who runs his 03 vette is going down with me to show me the ropes.

Couple questions - somebody mentioned 40psi in the tires - given an 85 degree day, is that too high, or should I stick around 35?

also - taking out spare, jack, etc, makes it lighter, but is it better leave it in for weight balance?

probably moot on a stock car, but what the hey....

wish me luck!! one borrowed helmet, and off I go....:tongue
Autocrossing is BIG BIG FUN, you will love it! I used to do it in my Austin Healey Sprite. Let me know how it goes in a Stang, I might have to try it. I would think they're a lot looser and heavier, so try to lighten up as much as possible. Kick it right when you start into a turn and you'll stick to the ground better. At least that worked in the Spridget, LOL.:kooky:

·
Registered
49 Posts
SunBoss said:
Autocrossing is BIG BIG FUN, you will love it! I used to do it in my Austin Healey Sprite. Let me know how it goes in a Stang, I might have to try it. I would think they're a lot looser and heavier, so try to lighten up as much as possible. Kick it right when you start into a turn and you'll stick to the ground better. At least that worked in the Spridget, LOL.:kooky:
"Spridgets" rocked in autocross. Some guys actually tried NO shocks, but solid bars ('til they got busted in tech), but race cars were were the next best thing. (They didn't do so well at this course because it was more open than most..we got to use the grandstand straight and the whole pit lane)
I did a tally from this event at CMS (1970) and came up with the following participation:
Spridgets (many) & bugeyes
Porches (356's, 911s and 914, quite a few)
Lotus Super Sevens
Triumphs (GT6's:kooky:, TR's, Spits...)
MG's of all types
Mini-Coopers
Formula V's
Ford Cortina (Lotus)
Lotus Europas and Elans
'Vette (lost generation...'62)
Camaros (Z28's and SS)
Firebird 400
BMW's
Jag's
Sunbeams (Alpine and Tiger)
Pontiac Tempest
Mustangs
Elva with Alfa engine
VW's and Ghia's
Buggys with road tires

...and that's the short list from my pics.

Ahhhh....the good old days....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts