Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The light that illuminates the gear selector on my automatic 2005 GT is no longer working. I am wondering if
1) I have to remove the entire center console? and
2) Exactly where the light bulb (hoping its a bulb and not a circuit board with LED's) is located.

Thanks
Royce in NH

·
Registered
291 Posts
The light that illuminates the gear selector on my automatic 2005 GT is no longer working. I am wondering if
1) I have to remove the entire center console? and
2) Exactly where the light bulb (hoping its a bulb and not a circuit board with LED's) is located.

Thanks
Royce in NH
Yes you will need to remove the whole center console and shifter mech in order to get to the light bulb. It's just one light. Good luck!! It's rather simple though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where can I get a bulb

I got the bulb out, not too hard. it says "12V 1.5W" on it.. I have been to every parts store in my area and no one has this size.. I can find a 14V that is a similar physical size. Went to the local Ford dealer and the parts guy said I would have to order on entire shifter for $211... good god.. Who at Ford designed this one..

So S197fordgt, Where did you get your replacement bulb and what size was it??

Thanks
Royce in NH

·
Registered
911 Posts
Are there any more numbers on the bulb?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got the bulb out, not too hard. it says "12V 1.5W" on it.. I have been to every parts store in my area and no one has this size.. I can find a 14V that is a similar physical size. Went to the local Ford dealer and the parts guy said I would have to order on entire shifter for $211... good god.. Who at Ford designed this one..

So S197fordgt, Where did you get your replacement bulb and what size was it??

Thanks
Royce in NH
I'm sorry about the miss understanding. I was just answering the posters question. I did not have to replace the bulb. I was fixing the shift indicator and I ran into the bulb on the way there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You can try radio shack. If you have one around you. Sorry I could not be more help.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Using a 14v bulb won't hurt anything, but it might be slightly dimmer.

I found one Ford dealer in the past that had a stock of small replacement bulbs and I was able to match one to the bulb that burned out in my OEM Ford radio. However, most dealers probably don't bother to try fixing small electronic parts.

I would just do a web search for small electronics parts stores and see if you can find it. Digikey and Mouser Electronics are the first two suppliers that come to mind.

Bruce

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I will grab the smallest 14V bulb size wise that is as close a match to the original bulb and will also look to radio shack and Digikey

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fixed for now

Thanks for all the help, nothing at my local Radio Shack so I stopped at the local Autozone today and found a Sylvania # 2721 13.5V 1.2W bulb that is the same size, just installed it and its working great. I'll try to post pictures later of pulling the center console out and bulb location..

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
87 Posts
This just happened to me dam bulb guess I know what I am doing tomorrow!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the help, nothing at my local Radio Shack so I stopped at the local Autozone today and found a Sylvania # 2721 13.5V 1.2W bulb that is the same size, just installed it and its working great. I'll try to post pictures later of pulling the center console out and bulb location..

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year...:bigthumbsup
What does the bulb look like for the Ford mustang? I have a nephew that needs one, but he is three and 1/2 hours away. I need to get it for him before he comes home for his b-day. Please let me know. Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts