Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I realize this is probably a really, really stupid question, and that I've probably shamed the forums by just contemplating asking this question, but I really need to know the answer.

Yes, I'm a super-newb.

I have a 1966 Mustang, inline 6, automatic. The 'faceplate' for the shifter is not exactly too informative... It looks, somewhat, like this:

P
R
N
o
O - (has a green dot in the middle with a white circle around it)
L

Ok, what I need to know is..., with of the 'o's is the 'Drive' gear. xD I'm sorry, but I honestly don't know.
I need to know what both dots are for - and the L, while we're on the subject... :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
I dont know for sure but I'm going to guess that the "dots" are Drive and Over drive.
The L.....thats a complete mystery to me!

See your not the only that doesnt know, hopefully one of our members with one of these classics will fill us in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
STONECOLD said:
I dont know for sure but I'm going to guess that the "dots" are Drive and Over drive.
The L.....thats a complete mystery to me!

See your not the only that doesnt know, hopefully one of our members with one of these classics will fill us in.
Well, the car does seem to run somewhat faster when it's places in the green dotted gear... Kinda unwillingly peels out at the start-off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No one can give me the 411 on this subject? It would really benefit me to know this, as I don't want to screw my car over.

Can someone please help me out here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
Magius Avvail said:
No one can give me the 411 on this subject? It would really benefit me to know this, as I don't want to screw my car over.

Can someone please help me out here?

Gee its been a while since I thought about the illustrius green dot tranny....

Lets see IIRC..... 3 speed tranny lowest gear of course being 1:1 (no over drive in this tranny)

Little 'o' car starts in 2nd under normal driving conditions then shifts to 3rd
green dot 'o' car starts in 1st, then shifts to 2nd, then shifts to 3rd
'l' car starts in first and holds this gear till you upshift manually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dodgestang said:
Gee its been a while since I thought about the illustrius green dot tranny....

Lets see IIRC..... 3 speed tranny lowest gear of course being 1:1 (no over drive in this tranny)

Little 'o' car starts in 2nd under normal driving conditions then shifts to 3rd
green dot 'o' car starts in 1st, then shifts to 2nd, then shifts to 3rd
'l' car starts in first and holds this gear till you upshift manually.
So...., when driving, I should shift to the green dot?

Thanks oh so much, by the way. :worship
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dodgestang said:
Yes, drive on the green dot.
Thanks a trillion, dude.

One more thing - when I drive on the green dot, the car tends to really 'pickup'. At times, the back tires squeel. That normal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
Considering instead of starting in a 1.5:1 or so gear you are now starting in a 2.4:1 or so gear...I would expect the car to accelerate more briskly. Just don't push the throttle down as far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dodgestang said:
Considering instead of starting in a 1.5:1 or so gear you are now starting in a 2.4:1 or so gear...I would expect the car to accelerate more briskly. Just don't push the throttle down as far.
Ah. Thanks, duder. You're awesome. :happyhapp:wavey
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top