Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 gt with a 5 speed manual, however my wife just cannot learn how to drive a stick. Ok guys, I know all the better for me, but I would like her to be able to drive it occasionally{after all she is paying for it}. Anyway, back to my question. How does the new 5 speed auto handle any new mods. Has anybody had any problems with it handling the typical mods? I quess I'm wondering if the new auto can handle 350-400 hp? Plus, how much slower do they seem than a manual. I never got to test drive an auto to find out.
Thanks everybody I know there has to be some modded autos out there.

·
Registered
559 Posts
MN. SCOOTER said:
I have a 2006 gt with a 5 speed manual, however my wife just cannot learn how to drive a stick. Ok guys, I know all the better for me, but I would like her to be able to drive it occasionally{after all she is paying for it}. Anyway, back to my question. How does the new 5 speed auto handle any new mods. Has anybody had any problems with it handling the typical mods? I quess I'm wondering if the new auto can handle 350-400 hp? Plus, how much slower do they seem than a manual. I never got to test drive an auto to find out.
Dear Scooter,

I think the next order of business would be to find a ford dealership and test drive an automatic...

Also have your wife drive the car at the same time to see if this is what you both want...

Automatics have responded well to all mods and can safely handle 350-400HP with no sweat... Some change out the rear gears for better acceleration because the automatics have a lower gear ratio than the sticks...

Automatics can be faster in shifting than a stick but that would require tuning and a few mods...

Good Luck with your decision...

Dave :eyepoppin :eyepoppin :eyepoppin :eyepoppin

·
Registered
28 Posts
MN. SCOOTER said:
I have an automatic and wish I had a manual. Once you buy an auto you too will wish you had a manual. The auto performs well shifting up, but not so well shifting down. It is always in the wrong gear when you want to accelerate. My advice is to work with your wife more. She can learn a manual. Mine did and she never looked back.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
With a tune and a little tweaking the new automatic is amazing... I've customized mine to my style of driving... AGRESSIVE! LOL! You have to remember that the stock shift schedule is designed to maximize fuel economny... not performance! My downshifting is also vastly improved from stock... I'm pretty much always in the right gear... I mena the stock schedule had me in 3rd gear at 16MPH at light throttle! Now I don't come out of first until around 18MPH!!! LOL

As far as power handling... Lidio from Alternative Auto (www.alternativeauto.com) is at about 475RWHP with his automatic and has run 11.23 on street tires... LOL

·
Registered
145 Posts
I love my auto! I dont think you will see much of a perfomace difference at WOT between the two. I have shift timing set up in my auto *SCT EXCAL 2 ROCKS!* and it chirps 1st through 3rd so hard shifting and acceleration is not an issue! i would agree to test drive one i dont think you will be to disapointed!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have one of each and I prefer to drive the stick becasue I am a motor head..... I seem "more involed" with the driving. When I drive her car, I miss mine!

·
Registered
487 Posts
MN. SCOOTER said:
I run a auto with N20, absolutely no problems. This new 5 speed auto goes through the gears extremely fast. They really respond to gear changes as well (I run 4.10's and still only turn 3000 rpm at 80mph with a 27 inch tall tire). And at the track, you run consistent numbers time after time. You can always manually shift the auto if you miss the manual. Also, as previously mentioned by Johnstone610 and fishingjts, the tune really wakes up the auto and how it shifts. Plus I can still drink my coffee on those fun commutes in LA :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts