Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago, I wrote on here saying that my auto transmission was making a small clutter noise between 3rd and 4th, and then 4th and 5th gear. I also stated that when I had a transmission flush, they flushed with mecron III instead of the synthetic requirement of mecron V for our auto transmissions.

Well, I took the car to Ford two weeks ago to get the transmission flushed with the Mecron V, and I thought the noise had disappeared after the flush. I was wrong.

Two weeks later, it is louder and more noticeable than before. Sometimes from a dead stop, it makes the noise and the car doesn't want to go anywhere. It sounds horrible, but I don't want to have to pay for a new tranny. Any suggestions or ideas of what the noise could be? :confused:

·
Registered
597 Posts
I hope it wasn't a Ford dealer that did the first flush. Merc III and Merc V trans fluids are NOT COMPATIBLE in the newer transmissions. The seals inside the trans elecrical shift solenoids can be negativally affected, thus causing the problems your are having. The first flush place owes you a new trans, also Merc V fluid is good to 50k miles before "servicing". I don't work on transmissions at work, but have read and heard about incorrect fluids in the newer (Merc V) trans.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. It wasn't Ford that did the first flush. It was at a Goodyear shop. I didn't know that the transmission required Mercon V, or else I would've paid more attention to it. Problem is that I drove the car 30k miles after getting that flush done. I then took the car to Ford and got another tranny flush after realizing the mistake made 30k miles ago.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ford wants $150 to tear down the tranny. So that means that they probably want at least $1500 + to fix the problem. I wish I knew what was wrong. I'm knowledgeable in every part of the car except for the auto tranny. Still confuses me. I'm too scared to break it down. Most of my car knowledge has come from fixing things myself (a must-do when you are a Ford owner), but the tranny seems like something off-limits. It's like climbing a scary mountain. One slip and your ****ed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.