Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just passed 31,000 miles in my 2007 V6 mustang and would like to change my automatic transmission fluid. Is it hard? do you need any special tools? Have any of you done it?

Also, off topic but i would also like to clay bar my car. Can you mess you paint up by claying, and what are the benefits of clay baring

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
As long as you can get to the pan, its easy. Change the filter too. And you might want to consider a Mr. Gasket drain plug kit. So its not so messy when you drain your atf in the future. Unless it has a drain plug. Dont know a lot about those.

Why do you want to clay bar your car?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have used the clay bar kit on my truck. One way to see if you need it is to rub the palm of your hand over the paint,if you feel rough spots or bumps (like goose bumps on your skin)it might be needed.
The process doesnt damage the paint and really makes a smooth finish

as for the ATF changing for me that would be a dealer or mechanic option.I dont like to mess with pans and gaskets,making sure I got all the fluid,filling ( which isnt easy) and leaks.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Oh, yeah Fords are known for that gritty feeling paint. Didnt they fix that?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ive clay barred mine last summer. its nice, just removes any gritt. there is a member here with a garage queen car that does it all the time, never hurt his paint.

on the trans, get it flushed at the dealer. its not cheap around 150.00+ but they have the machine to do it. its a tricky thing, has to be at operating temp, and checking the level is very messy. your filter is good for a few flushes and change it around 100k.( unless you have any pan leaks, then have it changed too) if you have no leaks, better off to get the flush with the full 12 new quarts. :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'd suggest a dealer or a trans shop that can do a trans fluid exchange. The trans does have a removable fitting that is more for checking fluid level then changing. If you do the drain and fill you're only changing less then 1/3rd of the fluid, whereas a fluid exchange does 7/8 or more (approx. 12 quarts). Also make sure to use Merc V fluid any other fluids could/will cause troubles(solenoids aren't compatible with conventional trans fluids).

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
go to the dealer and have them do it. its a gigantic mess if you try to attempt it yourself. I'm rolling just over 22k miles so i'm going to have the dealer do it by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'd have the Delear do the Tranny Fluid change, if there was a dip stick to check the fluid level it would be a different story, but without it there's no telling how full or unfull it is, also there's no way to fill it (put fluid in) unless Im mistaken, somebody jump in on this one.....
Also My 07 is so smooth when Im done waxing that the towel will slide off the car if I put it on there.
Ron

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just passed 31,000 miles in my 2007 V6 mustang and would like to change my automatic transmission fluid. Is it hard? do you need any special tools? Have any of you done it?

Also, off topic but i would also like to clay bar my car. Can you mess you paint up by claying, and what are the benefits of clay baring
The tran is a closed system so you don't have to flush it at 30,000....do you?

Also the clay bar CAN mess up your paint only if you use it wrong and stupidly. But don't get me wrong it is not hard. Juts use enough lubricant that comes with it and if the bar fall throw it away. Aside from that easy-peasy. Oh and rub it left to right and not up and down. I don't know why but that is what the box says it works better that way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
:bigthumbsup Valvoline offers there own warrenty on transmission, power steering, cooling systems flushed with there products on there flush intervals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.