Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Edelbrock Performer 1406 carburetor and switched over from a 650cfm 4 barrel holley. all the lines went in fine except the line from the automatic transmission. theres no hole or adapter for it that i can find. what should i do?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The vacuum line to the tranny should come off the intake manifold, not the carburetor. There should be a vacuum take-off fitting on the manifold behind the carb.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Pull up the installation manual on Edelbrock website. There is a full manifold port on the front of carb for tranny connection.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joes72/65, is it just a screw or something on the manifold? also it is a Edelbrock Performer manifold, will that make a difference to where the vacuum is? and one more thing, the transmission line used to go to the carburetor when i uninstalled it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Explorer, the line is to big for the full vacuum port. any suggestions?

·
Registered
400 Posts
The PCV connection on the carb (front) is full manifold vacuum. This one is for a 3/8" hose. There is a port in the back of the carb that is also full manifold vacuum. This one is a 1/4" npt. You can insert a tee in line on the 3/8" hose and run one line to the PCV and one to the trany. Or you can plumb a 1/4" npt nipple with a 1/4" npt tee. I ran a 1/4" npt x 1/4" inverted flare fitting down to the tranny when I had the C4. I did not have power brakes so I did not the tee. Everything worked fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
400 Posts
See the attached link. Look at the part number 200cc. This has a 1/4" NPT male thread and a 1/4" inverted flare female end. It allows you to connect to the back of the carb (1/4" NPT) and then you can run 1/4" steel brake line down to the transmission. You would need an inverted flare nut (105c) to connect the hard line to the above fitting. You'd also have to put a flare on the tube with a flaring tool (they actually have them at Lowes now).

Welcome to Brassfittings.com

If you want I can take the fittings off my carb and send the old hard line that I used to you. Just pay for shipping and maybe drop me a few dollars for the parts cost. Contact me through the private messages.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks. So the EGR port has vacuum to it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also a little note, my hard line stops about 2-3 IN. from the top of the cylinder head cover. so i have about 2 feet of rubber hosing that i just replaced (with new rubber hosing).

·
Registered
400 Posts
If that is the case, just get a 1/4" npt x hose barb fitting and plumb it into the back of the carb.

But yes, all of the ports have vacuum. Some are ported for vacuum advance distributors and the others are full manifold vacuum. The port on the front is for the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation), not EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) and the 1/4" npt port on the back is called the "power brake port" by Edelbrock. This is full manifold vacuum and can be used for the tranny and the power brake booster if you have one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Explorer, the line is to big for the full vacuum port. any suggestions?
Going off memory here. Two ports, left front, one full one ported. Edelbrock manifold has a 1/2"? port in manifold, center to rear of carb. Can use a vacuum tree or barbed fitting. Carb also has a plugged port on rear. Some of this is already mentioned.
Edit: Pulled up the installation manual and memory ain't too good. Port on right front is full manifold vacuum 3/16". Center is full vacuum for PCV. Left port is timed vac for distributor.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That is correct, (R-L) Manifold, PCV, Ported or timed vacuum ports.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts