Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mustang GT - Fastback - 2017- Grey
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all !
I'm new here, and I'm coming here to ask you some advise about a little concern.
I am the proud owner of a 2017 Mustang GT with automatic transmission since a year.
This car is a pleasure car that only runs on weekends in good weather. So I have a 2nd car for the week. My 2 cars are face to face in my garage. The garage is limited in length. Since always, when I park my daily I stop, put the handbrake, get out, put a wooden wedge, release the handbrake and manually push the car (at the wheel) to put it at 0.5 inches from the mustang and close the door. Yesterday, for the first time, I went a little too far. I stopped at 0,01 inch from the car. Of course when I pull the car in I don't go fast, I drive slower than a walking pace, approximately at 1inch per 5 sec. But let's imagine that I hit the mustang, is there a risk to damage the transmission? Knowing that the gearbox was in position "P" and that the handbrake was off ?
In advance thank you for your reply :)

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

I don’t think you would damage anything except maybe the paint, and maybe not even that.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I think you'd have to hit it pretty hard to damage the park pin/lock; but it wouldn't hurt to set the parking brake if you are concerned about it

PS - welcome to the forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply and your welcomes !
i drove 15 with the mustang today and nothing went wrong with the transmission. I imagine If I’ve damaged smng, I would have noticed some troubles ? There’s no slow sneaky, breakdown possible on a transmission no ?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
if the park pin was broken, then park would not hold the car any more

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if the park pin was broken, then park would not hold the car any more
Ok, it mean that the park pin is the only part that can break ?
Again IF I touched it it would have been very light. I just realised that I push more pressure on the car when I seat inside :LOL:

·
Hands
249 Posts
Hi all !
I'm new here, and I'm coming here to ask you some advise about a little concern.
I am the proud owner of a 2017 Mustang GT with automatic transmission since a year.
This car is a pleasure car that only runs on weekends in good weather. So I have a 2nd car for the week. My 2 cars are face to face in my garage. The garage is limited in length. Since always, when I park my daily I stop, put the handbrake, get out, put a wooden wedge, release the handbrake and manually push the car (at the wheel) to put it at 0.5 inches from the mustang and close the door. Yesterday, for the first time, I went a little too far. I stopped at 0,01 inch from the car. Of course when I pull the car in I don't go fast, I drive slower than a walking pace, approximately at 1inch per 5 sec. But let's imagine that I hit the mustang, is there a risk to damage the transmission? Knowing that the gearbox was in position "P" and that the handbrake was off ?
In advance thank you for your reply :)
Put an old mattress between the cars.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I have a similar garage and stored my big ol' Tbird in it for 18 years until I had the time/ money to restore it. To get a few extra inches of room I cut a hole in the wood framed wall at the far end of the space. On the other side of this is below the basement stairs so I could have gone even further if I was so inclined. My current project is a lot smaller so I don't need that precious 4" any longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts