Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
I am a VERY proud new owner of an 05 mustang GT. Definetly a big upgrade from my V6. After I got it home I finally noticed it only had a few gauges. I really would like to have the other gauges but do not want to replace the factory cluster. I found the autometer dash pod with 3 gauges included for a decent price. The thing I am wondering about is how hard will the gauges be to put in? Will the kit come with some great instructions if any one has bought it. Is routing the wires easy? Is hookup easy? and clean? I have searched and searched on the forum but I am either not good at it or havent seen what I am looking for.

here is the kit
Auto Meter 2005-Up Mustang Triple Dash Pods - JEGS

thanks to all for help

·
Registered
470 Posts
your car doesn't have temp and voltage ?

temp is not hard to wire just find the stock water temp jacket and use that dont bother with the one they give you its cheap
thats what i just did on my 94

not shure on volatge or oil temp

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I priced one of those pods out with a fuel pres, boost ad a water temp guage. I priced them out using the senders opposed to the fuel lines fire wall jobbie that keeps fuel out of the cabin. I think the total with everything was $800 plus and I am not to keen on offering everyone a sneak peak into my car and determine its fast. I like the stealth look. Plus I wanted to more gages which would need to go in an air vent or on the A pillar which would add at least another $400. And I still wouldn’t have a shift light.

I got one of these instead:
AiM Sports - The World Leader in Data Acquisition

I can display 4 gage inputs. I'm going with intercooler water temp, intake air temp, boost, and fuel pres. And in addition to that wheel speed. It has a fully programable shift light setup that goes from both sides toward the middle going from green to yellow to red. You can even set the brightess of the lights. It also logs G's and can do track maping on your PC (which I doubt I will use but I will know how many G's the car will pull. It also has programable idiot lights for four more inputs. And to top it all off it has a gear indicator function.

Mine is sunk into the dash and sits in front of the tach. You can't see it unless you are in the drivers seat. Its cool. Mine with the G meter was a bit more than the standard so it may be worth thinking of considering it will end up costing you the same amount as classic gages and it has a billion more functions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sqidd - I think I like the looks of the dash pod. If anyone thinks my car is fast just because I have more guages they are idiots. I will have them to monitor things better. The reason I am looking to get them is because I had an alternator go out in my last car and i noticed the gauge when it was happening.

My car has; tach, fuel level, water temp, and speedo. Thats why I like the autometer kit. It has the other gauges I am looking for plus one I already have (no big deal). I just want to know how hard the gauges will be to put in. Mainly to know whether or not I will purchase the kit.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I just installed one of these in my 05gt. You should be able to search and find the comments. Someone just posted a negative review of one a couple of days ago but there are some other opinions on that thread.

I also found out that my cooling fan was not working when I put in the water temp gauge. It showed a 30 degree change in the temp while the stock needle in the dash never moved. I think its important to have decent gauges. Spend the extra for electric senders. You will have to T the stock senders, but that is pretty easy. The oil pressure comes off the back of the oil filter housing.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
sqidd - I think I like the looks of the dash pod. If anyone thinks my car is fast just because I have more guages they are idiots. I will have them to monitor things better. The reason I am looking to get them is because I had an alternator go out in my last car and i noticed the gauge when it was happening.

My car has; tach, fuel level, water temp, and speedo. Thats why I like the autometer kit. It has the other gauges I am looking for plus one I already have (no big deal). I just want to know how hard the gauges will be to put in. Mainly to know whether or not I will purchase the kit.
The AIM dash does not take any gauges away from you. It sits in front of the tach, which the AIM has in the face of it. You still use your factory fuel level, water temp, volt meter, oil pres and speedo. You will not be able to see the traction control icon which is backed up by the button/light on the dash. It will cover the airbag malfunction light and whatever minor idiot lights are in there. Your not loosing any guages, just gaining more.

The Autometer guages are far harder to put in than the AIM dash.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just ordered two from Roush... =) And there's room in the left-hand vent for a third if you need the extra gauge.

I agree that the gauge pod on the dash looks pretty cool on the Shelby SS, but the vent gauge is subtle.

·
Registered
767 Posts
No offense, but that Autometer dash pod looks terrible.

You should check out this one instead

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not bad, hawgman, those look clean but do stick up pretty high.

Anyone: When you hook up a fuel gauge, are you going off an inline fuel meter or off the fuel rails? Is there a 2 1/4" electronic gauge that will hook up to a GT engine fairly easily?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Gauge pods

I have both pods in my car. If you want to use mechanical gauges you better be prepared to dill some holes. I personally use mechanicals because I don't think the aftermarket electrical are any more reliable than the OEM. I was able to get the boost and oil pressure in the A pillar with some 90 degree fittings on the gauge but there is no good way that I found to get a mechanical temp gauge in an A piller. I put the water and oil temp in the dash pod but I also drilled a 1" hole through the dash under the pod to get the lines and fittings through. If you don't mind drilling holes you can get two gauges between the center vents. I only did one but have done two on another car.

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
Fuel pressure gauge

Not bad, hawgman, those look clean but do stick up pretty high.

Anyone: When you hook up a fuel gauge, are you going off an inline fuel meter or off the fuel rails? Is there a 2 1/4" electronic gauge that will hook up to a GT engine fairly easily?
I used a mechanical gauge with an isolator and have aftermarket rails. I believe with an electric unit you still need to a way of getting a sensor on the rail. I think most people use a fuel rail adapter and put the gauge sensor there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has anyone installed the Classic Design Concept dash gauge pod??

If so, how does it look on the dash with the smooth finish?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.