Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering how well this stuff actually works. I am talking about the stuff you can get at like Pep Boys in the spray can. My car is silver and it used to be green. The owner before me got it painted and they did a good job of painting it. They did all the door jams and hatch area but the only place they didnt do was the engine compartment. So when i open the hood, its all green inside. I just recently pulled out my motor so I want to paint my engine compartment black. I dont have the money right now to tow it to a body shop or pay to have it painted so I am wondering how well this stuff will work. If i do it with the spray can I will also be using a sanding disc that attaches to a drill in order to prep the area. If anyone has any experience with this stuff please give me an opinion. I was thinkin ill do it and just keep saving to have it professionally painted, and if it starts to peel or anything, then once i have enough to have it painted, ill have it painted. Kinda like a temporary fix until i have the money. Well, anyway, anyone who can help, please do. thanx

·
Banned
56 Posts
I woulnt recommend paint in a can but it will work. If you have the motor out just make sure you degrease all under there before you paint so it dont fish eye you figure alot of grease gets slung up under the hood area. I wouldnt use a drill with a sanding disk on it either all you need is like 320 grit paper or finer to finish with. If you want to use the can stuff. You could spray it with like black flat paint wont look bad under it. Im sure if you used glossy paint it would stand out more if the only area they didnt paint was under there just spray it a flat black and you can do under your wheel wells too make it look a little better. Good luck. Much easier painting under there with the motor out tho i would have to say make sure you degrease it good and wash it good before you paint it. Or wipe it down with a prep solvent cleaner. laquer thinner will take alot of grease off too just dont let it soak on the paint it will eat it up so i dont reccommend using that just get some good engine degreaser and hose it down with that then wash it with soap and water good after you blast that down.
PS: if teeto comes in running his mouth pay him no mind he's just a post idiot, ive realized that. Im sure he will be in this post when he sees i posted and give you his great knowledge.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wouldnt using regular sand paper be a little tedious? i figured using the sanding disc would help speed up the process and not to mention not be so tiring. i am planning to use a degreaser and powerwash it before i do any sanding, then i will wash it one last time before painting.

·
Banned
56 Posts
if you put a sanding disc on a power drill and try to sand it, it will probably most likely work like a grinder. Thats why a DA Sander is called a DA, it stands for dual action. So a DA can be locked in position to work like a grinder. I woulnt advise you to put a sanding disc on a power drill and try to sand it it will most likely grind the paint off. If you ever seen the way a finishing sander but not a wood finishing sander, a automotive one. works it kinda vibrates and spins at the same time to get that smooth sanding finish.

If i was you i dont know if you have a compressor or not? But go put a finishing sander like one of those hand held ones they arent that much maybe $60 to $70 sand it with that it will come out 100 times better.

Something like this would do the job

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4196

but if you dont have a sander, it really not that much in the engine compartment to sand id just hit it by hand with 320 grit, just make sure its clean, then sand it. Also you might want to go to like a autozone or pepboys maybe walmart ive seen them sell like 3M automotive tape at walmart lately its green should say like 233+ on it, use that to tape out your fenders so when your sanding the engine bay you dont scuff your other paint. Its like $2.22 cent a roll one roll of 3/4 will do the job. Also pick yourself up a red scotch brite. Looks like a 6" x probably 4" brillow pad, use that in the tight areas you missed hitting with the 320 grit to scuff it up then just go over the whole thing with the scotch brite before you spray your paint. The scotch brite is good cause its flexible and can get in tight places. Good luck. Also in my opinion i would spray the engine bay a flat black would look more stock then the glossy standing out just in my opinion. Most people will spray a engine bay or the undercarrage of the car a flat black. I just seen a ad on a 69 camaro in hemmings muscle machines magazine the guy did his 69 camaro undercarrage and engine bay in flat black looked pretty good.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would one of those "mouse" sanders work? i have one of those, its electric and it does a vibrating motion instead of spinning, I think its made by benchtop or black and decker or something. I know its meant for carpentry or whatever but i think it could still work. Im just tryin to save money. I mean if this tool will do the job I'd rather save the 60-70 bux i would spend on an air sander and just use this, then ill use scotchbrite in the places the sander misses

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
one concern with using spray bombs is heat. it doesnt do too well. not to mention yo would have to clear coat over it to provide any type of durability.

in my honest opinion, if your painting something that isnt truly visible to the eye most of the time, and its going to be black, there is only one choice...

its called POR-15.

its a black rust PROOF coating. when i say rust PROOF i mean it. and it is practically bullet proof as well. will not scratch, scuff, fade, or come off for that matter, unless you sand it off. you dont need to prime under neath, which saves money and time. no need for a clear coat (unless you want a super shine). Its $95 for a gallon, and you BRUSH it on. it smooths itself out, and has a semi-gloss finish. trust me man, this stuff ROCKS. once you paint with it, you never have to worry about it again. and a nice trick i do with my cars is to paint the inside of my fenders with it, or at least the lips (places where water can sit) to totally rust proof the car. give it a whirl man, works on EVERYTHING.

just google it, youll find it. POR-15

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Systronic, you don't need an entire gallon to do the engine compartment right? and it doesn't leave any brush marks at all? Do you have any pix of what yours looks like?

·
Banned
56 Posts
you can try to use your mouse sander just use the right paper. i would use 320 grit, but dude its a engine compartment its not like your sanding the whole car by hand like your at maaco (thats what they do there hand scuff stuff) But i would do it by hand, give you a little workout too. Then hit it with the scotch brite. And im sure you dont wanna spend $95 a gallon on paint to paint a engine compartment if you didnt wanna spend $70 on a sander. No you dont need a gallon to do that engine compartment. Ive never heard of the stuff and if you buy decent black flat paint i dont think it would look that bad. If your gonna waste $95 on some black paint hes talking about brushing on why not find out what kinda paints on your car. Probably for udner $200 id say you can get the same paint thats on the car which you could use a pint reduced with basemaker would make a sprayable quart. A quart usually will go around a normal size car painting the entire car one time, so you really need a gallon to paint a entire car not a engine bay! But if your gonna go thru all that work why dont you save your money, dont waste it on that $95 a gallon stuff. sand it with 320 by hand then scotch brite it. Go to a place that sells automotive paint. But a pint of paint, quart of reducer, quart of clear and a pint of activator and paint the thing the same color as the car. If your not experenced enuff in painting go buy the paint and get someone to do it that knows what there doing.

And if this stuff is rust proof id have to see it to believe it. There is a little thing called moisture. So if you paint the so called rust proof material over your paint on your car. its overtop the paint. So eventually moisture would get to the metal and its still possible to say i would rust. But ive never seen the stuff so i dont know, and for painting it on with a brush. That sounds nuts too me. But i dont know mabye his turned out ok, like you said do you have pictures? i would wanna see how its gonna turn out before i did it to mine too. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Its your car not mine ya know?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if all i will need is a quart it will only be about $25 for a quart of the POR-15. I just looked it up on google. So if i can get some pix i might do that, otherwise, I'll just spray paint it. Either way though I'm sure the POR-15 is better than spray paint because it sounds like (from what I read) that its some pretty tough stuff and perfect for an engine bay, I just wanna make sure its gonna look as good though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
killamuh50 said:

And if this stuff is rust proof id have to see it to believe it. There is a little thing called moisture. So if you paint the so called rust proof material over your paint on your car. its overtop the paint. So eventually moisture would get to the metal and its still possible to say i would rust. But ive never seen the stuff so i dont know, and for painting it on with a brush. That sounds nuts too me. But i dont know mabye his turned out ok, like you said do you have pictures? i would wanna see how its gonna turn out before i did it to mine too. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Its your car not mine ya know?
dont knock it till you try it man. you could do the research on google if you want. even buy a quart and use it on your frame. gauranteed to never rust, or your money back and rust repaired.

·
Banned
56 Posts
nah im not knocking it, i might have to check it out. But yea i would think it would work or look better then spray paint. If systronic stands by it. I might have to check it out to do the underside of my car. Cool thanks for the info. Hope it works out for you jbspeed86 good luck. Yea if they sell it by quarts thats cool, quart is probably more then enuff to do under the hood and might have some left over to hit the wheel wells too. Good luck dude.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks, ill post some pix of the finished product when im done with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.