Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 02 gt last winter expecting to buy a 197 gt this spring. well finances arent really permitting so im thinking about buying another sn95 gt. ive been doin a little shopping around and i think i might buy a vert. i was wondering if the vert would be much slower around an autoX course than a regular coupe. id love to be able to take the top down and cruise but i used to do autoX as much as possible and i dnt know if the increased weight and the less stiff body would make that much of a difference. has anyone driven both and if so does the coupe handle noticeably better?

G

·
0 Posts
Idk about the mustangs but I know a couple guys that have almost identical Corvettes except one is a coupe and one is a vert. I've driven both of them and consistently get faster times in the coupe. Idk if this will transfer to the Mustangs but I would thing the coupe would be quicker.

S

·
0 Posts
You can obviously mod any car to do what you want but the SN95 droptops are heavier and even with the extra bracing have a lot of flex. Without subframes (extra weight added there) you would really notice how loose the car feels in heavy corners. If you really want a vert then you could make it work but it might cost a bit of money for mods. What do you do more... cruise or autocross?

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well ill probably do more weekend cruising than autocross but id like to be competitive when i do. i think im probably just going to buy a coupe and use the money i save for some go fast goodies. i dont really have the money to spend on a more expensive vert and then spend more to try and make it as fast as a coupe. i could be faster for less money and im not really gonna miss the drop top that ive never had

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a Vert, granted its an S197 that is more rigid than previous years, i Autox with it frequenetly. It is a bit more heavy because of the rag top motor but who cars, the fun factor outweighs the weight :gringreen

I did do a lot of suspension work, i have a strut bar and a k memebr brace, she is super stiff and i am able to be competative but even if your not, who cares, its all about having fun and beatin YOUR OWN times.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a Vert, granted its an S197 that is more rigid than previous years, i Autox with it frequenetly. It is a bit more heavy because of the rag top motor but who cars, the fun factor outweighs the weight :gringreen

I did do a lot of suspension work, i have a strut bar and a k memebr brace, she is super stiff and i am able to be competative but even if your not, who cares, its all about having fun and beatin YOUR OWN times.

Ford really did their homework with the stiffness of the S197's. A quick trip in my 96GT droptop will quickly tell you it's not the same creature.:hihi:

slow - redmoses makes a good point about getting the vert but if you're super competitive you'd be happier with the coupe.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah pretty set on the coupe now unless i came across a vert for the right price. I think i found the car im gonna be buying. A black 02 with full exhaust, cai, custom tune, eibach springs, subframe connectors, and a few more things for around 7k. Its got black offset tsw wheels that look pretty decent but their 19's so i might be swapping em out for somethin a little less bling. Cant wait to get back in a mustang!

G

·
0 Posts

I wish Ford had done the same with the 2010's. Those verts flex like an S.O.B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.