Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2007 Shaker 500 that I bought for my 2005 Mustang. I have the pin-out diagram for the radio from here.

The new radio works fine, buw When I connect to J3 pins 1-2 and 9-10 and hook up an MP3 player I get no sound. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
806 Posts
On a 2007 Shaker 500 that I bought for my 2005 Mustang. I have the pin-out diagram for the radio from here.

The new radio works fine, buw When I connect to J3 pins 1-2 and 9-10 and hook up an MP3 player I get no sound. Any suggestions?
j3 doesnt seem to function with the aux input......j4 has all the hardware for the aux/mp3 hook up. do you have anything plugged into j4?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J4 appears to be wired to the sub woofer amps. When I leave in unplugged the SW don't work, and the wire colors are the same at the head and the amp.

Another possible clue is J3 pins 15-16 are "MS CAN A" and MS CAN B". They are the only pins connected in the stock (2005) configuration.

·
Registered
806 Posts
J4 appears to be wired to the sub woofer amps. When I leave in unplugged the SW don't work, and the wire colors are the same at the head and the amp.

Another possible clue is J3 pins 15-16 are "MS CAN A" and MS CAN B". They are the only pins connected in the stock (2005) configuration.
ill look over the diagram you posted and hopefully will have more to say later. im buried in work right now. I just recently wired up a 05 mustang head unit. although it wasnt the shaker 500 system. maybe you dont have all the correct hardware on the car to swap over to the shaker?? not sure. if i were you i would put in the shaker 500 system and get an aftermarket headunit and skip the head ache. plus with an aftermarket unit you have a usb port to play mp3 players on so you could charge your ipod while listening to it.....thats what i havein my 98 .

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car came from the factory with a Shaker 500 system. The previous owner took the head unit out and replaced it with a Pioneer unit, a separate sub-woofer amplifier on the floor under the passenger seat which apparently fed a trunk mounted unit.

When I bought the car the sub-woofer was gone. I took the amp out, removed the big cables and repaired the hole in the fire wall that was letting rain water in. My son wired an auxiliary connector into the Pioneer head, hooked up the stock sub-woofer amps and we've been running the car that way.

I hated the Pioneer radio because I can't read the buttons unless I take my glasses off and get my face within 18 inches of it. I don't think the sound quality is all that good, and it plays a "video game" on its screen that is disruptive to the driver, especially at night. My wife hates the radio, and our daughter, who we bought the car for, hates it as well and asked for a "regular radio" for her 17th birthday.

So I found a Shaker 500 unit brand new at replacementradios.com and opted for a 2007 because I knew the 2007 cars came with an auxiliary input mounted in the console next to the power jack.

Yesterday my son and I put the radio in. Radio Shack supplied a chassis mount 3.5mm stereo connector and we have the single connectors from the Pioneer that fit onto the new unit. We tried several combinations but couldn't get the the auxiliary input to work. The radio's in though, looks and sounds great.

I know I can put in a generic connector for about $30 that is wired through the antenna and plays the aux-in through an FM channel, and we've done that to my son's 2004 Explorer. But it kills me to not know how to do it the "right" way.

I'm thinking that it has something to do with programming. I have a similar radio in my 2007 Expedition with satellite radio and a dash mounted input and the aux button cycles through these. The aux button on this radio only cycles to "line in" only.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Bumped thread. I am still looking for an answer. :(

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My receipt says 8R3T-18C815-GB *NEW* (8R3T-815-G). 'd appreciate any help on this. :worship

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK good news and bad news what you want first lol

I foud a very similar ford mustang radio with out the chrome-trimmed knobs made in 2007 and i was able to input audio but it was MONO audio and work on the front speakers only ,no woofer signal the audio was input to j3 pin 4 and 5
to make it work you have to input a negative signal to pin 7 in j1 plug,
the sound quality was good but you only get 1/4 of the volume , if you are going this way try to turn up the volume before you send the negative signal to pin 7 this is the input for the ford phone system

the bad news is that the correct audio input pins are 1 2 9 10 and 3 , the problem is that the radio needs to see CAN BUSS to open the audio input port this signal comes from the rear DVD or ford satellite radio looks like this can buss signal is in the wiring of some late 2007 and 2008 and up , the other option will be to find a Can buss signal generator or use an auxiliary interface

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help. I've put an auxiliary input into my son's 2004 Exploder and that works on FM modulation. As I recall it was about 1/2 the price but this unit works with the Aux button which is a lot nicer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts