Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
I purchased my 2011 5.0 about 3 months ago. I intend on changing the stock axle back exhaust to a Roush aftermarket axle back exhaust.

Is there anything that I should be aware of when changing the stock axle back exhaust to an aftermarket exhaust?

I plan on doing this myself in my driveway with the use of two ramps and hand tools. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.......

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It's very easy I did it in about 35 minutes on my driveway.. I have the roush axle backs on my car. They are anyoing as hell. to loud! If you want to get me a pair of gt500 axle backs i will gladly trade them for my roush axle back my axle back has about 300 miles on the car.

I see that you are in miami.. If you want to see what they sound like or if you want me to give you a hand with anything PM me. None of my buddys have a 5.0 so I need 5.0 friends lol.
GO HEAT!

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
There are several good write ups on this forum as well as others. Search is your friend. After putting my GT500s on I can tell you it's very easy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
There are several good write ups on this forum as well as others. Search is your friend. After putting my GT500s on I can tell you it's very easy.
How much difference in sound were they from stock ? I feel that the stock 5.0 mufflers are too quiet . Also with the GT500's don't you have to move something else to get the tips out far enough ?

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
How much difference in sound were they from stock ? I feel that the stock 5.0 mufflers are too quiet . Also with the GT500's don't you have to move something else to get the tips out far enough ?
They are louder than stock, but not by much. I think it's the added bass that makes them. The install all depends on how you want to do it. You can just remove the muffler brackets, or you can loosen the pan hard bar and leave the muffler brackets on. Yes, I went to the pipe covers between the tail pipe sections and the headers and used the play to move my tips back to the rear clip vertical plane. Otherwise IMO the tips were too far undernath the rear valance.

·
Registered
349 Posts
They are louder than stock, but not by much. I think it's the added bass that makes them. The install all depends on how you want to do it. You can just remove the muffler brackets, or you can loosen the pan hard bar and leave the muffler brackets on. Yes, I went to the pipe covers between the tail pipe sections and the headers and used the play to move my tips back to the rear clip vertical plane. Otherwise IMO the tips were too far undernath the rear valance.
Sound compared to stock ?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Did this on Monday.
They are a lot louder than stock, I like them !
Highway cruise they're not loud at all, start up they are really loud, and quiet down at idle.
I tried moving the tips out/in and it seems to me the the tone gets lower when they are in, this is from in the car.

In a nutshell;
Get some lube for the hangers so that muffler rods will go in/out easier. I used Silicone spray, try not to use an oil that will deteriorate the rubber of the hangers.

Taking them off;
1. loosen the muffler clamp
2. pry the rear hanger off the muffler rod
3. seperate the muffler from the over axle pipe
4. push/wriggle the muffler off the forward hanger. this takes some effort.

Putting them on;
1. put the muffler on the forward hanger
2. put the muffler on the rear hanger
3. tighten the clamp most of the way but loose enough to adjust the muffler.
4. put the tip on and tightent it most of the way
5. adjust the muffler/tip in the opening to your liking and tighten the clamps

·
Registered
116 Posts
My $.02, I have the Roush axle backs and I love them!! Yes they are a little on the loud side but at light throttle its just a purr. When you get on it they roar. It is exactly what I wanted. My other car is a 65 Stang and I wanted this new car to sound like it. I love the fact that I can just cruise around quietly and when I open her up it sounds like a beast!!!! I'm not sure what your looking for but dont give up on the Roush setup. They have no drone at all and sound pretty tame inside the car with the windows up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My $.02, I have the Roush axle backs and I love them!! Yes they are a little on the loud side but at light throttle its just a purr. When you get on it they roar. It is exactly what I wanted. My other car is a 65 Stang and I wanted this new car to sound like it. I love the fact that I can just cruise around quietly and when I open her up it sounds like a beast!!!! I'm not sure what your looking for but dont give up on the Roush setup. They have no drone at all and sound pretty tame inside the car with the windows up.
Any chance of you providing a sound clip? I wanted to hear the Roush on the 11 GT. Thanks!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Any chance of you providing a sound clip? I wanted to hear the Roush on the 11 GT. Thanks!
There's a bunch of them on youtube. IMHO, none of them sound like the car does which is no surprise given the equipment used to record the videos and playing them back on my pc speakers.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
thanks for posting that manolith. i was wondering what the roush mufflers sound like... unfortunately for me, those would make me more of a heatscore with the cops than i already am.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. 3.31 rear, Boss 302 intake manifold, JLT plastic cold air intake, BBR O/R x pipe BBR 93 octane tune.
musang? typo?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys,
Thanks for the info / procedures and sound clips. It helps a lot. This will defiantly be my first of many mods. I will post pics once I complete this install.
Thanks.......

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There is a slight drone 1900 to 2100 rpm. You can barely hear tho

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Did this on Monday.
They are a lot louder than stock, I like them !
Highway cruise they're not loud at all, start up they are really loud, and quiet down at idle.
I tried moving the tips out/in and it seems to me the the tone gets lower when they are in, this is from in the car.

In a nutshell;
Get some lube for the hangers so that muffler rods will go in/out easier. I used Silicone spray, try not to use an oil that will deteriorate the rubber of the hangers.

Taking them off;
1. loosen the muffler clamp
2. pry the rear hanger off the muffler rod
3. seperate the muffler from the over axle pipe
4. push/wriggle the muffler off the forward hanger. this takes some effort.

Putting them on;
1. put the muffler on the forward hanger
2. put the muffler on the rear hanger
3. tighten the clamp most of the way but loose enough to adjust the muffler.
4. put the tip on and tightent it most of the way
5. adjust the muffler/tip in the opening to your liking and tighten the clamps
Did you do the Roush or the GT 500 ?

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Roush AB's don't backfire.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
In the 3rd video is that backfiring normal for the Roush AB's or is it from some type of tune you have ?
its the tune. with the bbr tune it backfires but not nearly as much as with this one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts