Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MBRP axle back is coming via UPS today and I'm itching to get it on.

Is there anything I should know about an axle back install? It seems fairly straightforward but then again, I don't know whether I need to do anything special with the hangers or whatever. Fill me in :)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
My MBRP axle back is coming via UPS today and I'm itching to get it on.

Is there anything I should know about an axle back install? It seems fairly straightforward but then again, I don't know whether I need to do anything special with the hangers or whatever. Fill me in :)
Depending on how much rust you have on your current pipes, I'd have some WD40 ready and spray where the muffler attaches to the mid pipes and start pulling the mufflers side to side and out until it slips off.

Probably makes it easier to put the rear on ramps or jack stands. Very little clearance when laying on your back otherwise.

I think I did my own mufflers once, then when I get my 2nd set of mufflers, I just had a shop do it for 50 bucks out of lazyness, lol. Not a big fan of laying on my back to install things.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just a few things I observed:

1. If you have an extra set of jack stands, you can use them to support the mufflers and keep them where you want them when trying to line up bolt holes.

2. Make sure you tighten the clamps really well. If your set of axle backs didn't come with some good band clamps, get some. From what I've seen, it appears the MBRPs have nice clamps.

3. Have patience, especially if you don't do much work on cars. Wrenches will slip off bolts, you'll probably drop stuff, and probably end up sweating your ass off. Just take a deep breath and try not to rush it.

4. Have fun! :D

·
Banned
612 Posts
It's very, very easy, and I doubt you'll have any issues. I recently installed an axleback on mine myself, with the car on level ground. It's a breeze, the only real time consuming part is getting the 2 bolts above the stock muffler. (one per side) Just use a closed end wrench and be patient. It's not a bad go. And then be sure not to tighten anything down too tight until you have everything positioned correctly.

I would pass on the wd-40 unless a nut won't budge, it's less mess, and you really shouldn't have any worries about rust, they aren't jacked on there too tight anyway, or at least they shouldn't be anyway.

It's a good idea to re-check everything a week later, look for leaks and check to make sure everything is snug and the bolts are tight.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you have a problem getting the tips to align with the bumper openings, you may have to loosen the clamps where the exhaust pipes attach at the H-pipe location and rotate everything. If you need to do this, I found it handy to put a witness mark with a Sharpie marker or something similar across the two pieces of pipe where they connect so you can tell how much you are moving them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
its tight so take your time...

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
it's pretty straightforward like the other guys said but a couple things I noticed:

1) don't try to get the mufflers off without unbolting the hangers; it looks like you can just loosen the clamp and then slide the hangers out of the rubber piece, but you can't actually do it

2) like the other guy said, make sure you have good band clamps . . . and take a look at the outer pipe; it should have slots in it to allow it to compress onto the inner pipe; I had a small problem with my Magnaflows where I had to enlarge the slots to allow the outer pipe to compress down on to the inner pipe, hopefully you won't have that problem

3) wear safety glasses so rust and crud doesn't fall into your eyes

·
Registered
50 Posts
the easiest way is to buy a ratcheting box end, i think it is a 15mm but can't remember. i bought a whole set at costco for around $20, well worth it. also i have mbrp axelbacks and they lined up perfect with only removing the muffler my car came with and used their clamps with no leaks. great muffler with no drone, but not to loud which suprised me with a straight thru design.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it tonight guys :bigthumbsup

Took me about an hour and a half and I did it all with the car sitting on the ground. The bolts above the mufflers and the top front one on the driver's side were the worst, ugh, but reinstallation was a lot easier.

I THINK the tips are straight but since the bumper is curved it makes it kinda hard to judge. Also I started it up just briefly, sounds nice, also sounds like I have a small leak on the driver's side but I'll worry about that later.

Thanks for the help fellas :bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts