Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my '06 Premium GT M5 this weekend. I'm going to have about $700 to spend on mods. I want to get an nice sounding exhaust system and tint first thing (it's a Black/red car so tint is a must). I want to go with the Mac exhaust but I don't know whether to get the axle back or the cat back. I plan on adding a Mac prochamber later on down the road. If I just get the axle back now will I still be able to get the over-axle pipes on down the road? It's my assumption that if I want to have a true 2.5" system from the manifolds back I'm going to have to do the complete catback with the Mac prochamber. Is this correct?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Finn McCool said:
I'm picking up my '06 Premium GT M5 this weekend. I'm going to have about $700 to spend on mods. I want to get an nice sounding exhaust system and tint first thing (it's a Black/red car so tint is a must). I want to go with the Mac exhaust but I don't know whether to get the axle back or the cat back. I plan on adding a Mac prochamber later on down the road. If I just get the axle back now will I still be able to get the over-axle pipes on down the road? It's my assumption that if I want to have a true 2.5" system from the manifolds back I'm going to have to do the complete catback with the Mac prochamber. Is this correct?
Dear Finn McCool,

Just go with the MACs axleback for now...

I have them and love 'em!!!

Later if you have the $$$, get the race cats and the X-Pipe to add to your axleback system...

Dave :eyepoppin :eyepoppin :eyepoppin :eyepoppin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
discofan said:
Dear Finn McCool,

Just go with the MACs axleback for now...

I have them and love 'em!!!

Later if you have the $$$, get the race cats and the X-Pipe to add to your axleback system...

Dave :eyepoppin :eyepoppin :eyepoppin :eyepoppin
Right, but when I do get the x-pipe how will I hook it up to the axle back exhaust? You won't be able to use the stock 2.25" over-axle pipe to connect the 2.5" x-pipe to the 2.5" axle-back.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Finn McCool said:
Right, but when I do get the x-pipe how will I hook it up to the axle back exhaust? You won't be able to use the stock 2.25" over-axle pipe to connect the 2.5" x-pipe to the 2.5" axle-back.
Dear Finn McCool,

Yes, you can use the axle over pipes with the X-Pipe which bolts to the stock catalytic converters...

If you go the route and buy racing cats, then the race cats and X-Pipe is one unit which bolts to the axle over pipes and then to the MACs...

The system has three parts, cats, axle over pipe and muffler...

D:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

G

·
The 2005 Ford Mustang GT has already 2.5" exhaust tubing throughout from aft of the stock manifolds to the stock mufflers.

You need not worry about a "catback" for this Pony. The axle back mufflers alone will bolt right up as long as you stay in the 2.5" diameter forward of the muffler. Most aftermarket tips are chrome and 3.0" and look better than the stock. Sound is usually varied but some HAVE DRONES (sub 2000rpm), watchout. Search this forum for exhaust and see the issues in past.

Actually the stock set up consists of stock manifolds, dual cats, H-pipe, dual "catback" exhaust run over axle, the mufflers. 2 O2 sensors per side also come in the 2005 stock setup.

My Borla catback came with the aftermarket pipes (2.5") which bolt up just aft of the H-pipe. It was really not necessary as the stock "pinched" mandrel bent tubes over the axles gave no negative effect to the dyno.
That said, the material is higher grade and much lighter, especially in the muffler. I estimate I saved 20-30 pounds with the swap out.

Next up, waiting on my Long Tube Headers and X-pipe combo to arrive.

:drool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, good to know the piping is already 2.5". I still need to decide whether or not it's worth the extra $120 to get the over-axle pipes to replace the crush-bent stock piping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts