Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, about a month ago i notice that the rear axle was leaking...i had a very, very, very difficult time removing the axle.. as soon as i released the axle from the housing i noticed a cut made into the axle made by the axle bearings... the bearings themselves looked undamaged and in working condition.. i wonder why the bearings cut into the axle?

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
That's a pretty deep groove just from the look of it. Either some seriously high miles with poor lubrication or a failed bearing. How was the fluid level in the differential? You can't really be sure that one or more of the rollers isn't binding at speed and under load even if they appear to be o.k. when inspected.

I would have suspected a previous owner replaced some bad bearings without fixing the shaft if it wasn't for the metallic powder from the 2nd shot.

You might be able to use some offset "axle saver" type bearings but that's pretty scored. Consider it an excuse to upgrade the rear end! :)

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
time for new axles,bearings, seals, and one hell of a good cleaning..

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Those are press fit into the axle housing and are a PIA to get out even if the bearings good. I've had one fail and the axle shaft come out and pass me when I was doing 50.

I don't think that the bearings are lubricated by the axle fluid. They are "lifetime" lubricated, and they don't have any life left.

Looks like yours has seized and been spinning to wear out that grove, Half shafts or a whole rear end are cheap at the junk yard. Disassemble the whole thing, use new bearings and seals and you should be good to go for another 150k miles.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Yeah time for a major overhaul. Those axles are shot and those bearing are probably just as bad.

J

·
0 Posts
2 bad pieces of info above. these bearings definitely are lubricated by the differential fluid, hence the seals. they are not sealed units as you might find on the fronts (SN95 and newer) or in an independent-rear-suspension. it's pretty obvious when you look at the picture - - there's no "inner race" or cage and any lubrication you might have between the bearing and the axle would come from the diff fluid.

correct that they are press-fit into the housing (though the grooves on the axle won't make that any easier or harder to pull the bearing, though it might make it harder to pull the axle). the axles themselves are slip-fit into the bearing (unless something's wrong). again, there is no inner race.

not that this changes the outcome, but it makes understanding why it might have happened a little easier.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
x2
they get lubrication from the gear oil..

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Are you sure? The vehicle that fell apart on me was a 69 F100. The bearings sure didn't look like they were lubricated with the diff fluid. I thought it was a bit odd.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
not sure on that..but the axle bearings in a mustang 8.8 get lubed by the gear oil

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I always figured a Ford axle was a Ford axle. Won't be the first time I was wrong, nor my last. :smoke:

·
Registered
56 Posts
all semi floating axles (like the ones found in 8.8s) are lubricated by gear oil like mentioned above. ive never seen deep grooves like that. those bearing must not have had lubrication in a while. if your diff fluid is up to the proper level, fluid will travel down axle tubes and lube bearings. you atleast need to replace the bearings and axles but like mentioned above it gives you a great excuse to upgrade the rear end :gringreen

the bearing are not that bad if you have proper tools.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
just busting balls man haha

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Its not the first time my balls were busted, and won't be my last. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts