Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys well i was back from the track.
New best time 13.8 @ 102mph with a 60' of 2.4 =/.

Now i was i have to say a little disappointer. I was expecting a 13.6 or so, before my gears i ran 13.9 with a 60ft of 2.1..... how does that happen.

Now that was the best run of night.
i did a
14.0 with a 2.3 60
14.1 with a 2.3 60 and that was first run with G/F in car she never rode in it at track.
14.8 with 2.5 60, man i saw tach go from 1500-6000 so i dumped to 2nd and i never hooked
then last run i was 14.2 with 2.4 60

now i tried many ways of launching some even caused me a red light lol. but anyhow i did a 1000rpm launch which i thought i was going to pull a good 60 footclose to 2.0 but it was 2.4 on that one. i tried to go from 2500 and that made me burn them down off line..... best run was at like 1500-2000.

Anyhow how do you get crappier 60ft with gears, i know some people that are pulling 1.8-2.0 60's..... not sure i think my tires have to go but oh well i thought id let you guys know see what you think.

P.S. it was about 64degrees outside, and everyone was complaining track wasnt stick, but car felt peppier cuz of the cold air.( did mini warm ups to heat tires up too.)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
On street tires you only need a little burn out to clean them off. I believe its all in the prep of the track. I baby mine off the line at about 1500 rpm most of the time. The best night I had, I had 3 60' in the 2.0 range using this method. I'll bet with good traction you could get a 13.5. Keep trying its fun ass practice!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It was probably a combination of a poorly prepped track and the cold air. If everyone else was complaining about traction then you know it has to be either the track or the weather.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
245/45/17 Sumitomo HTRZ II tires. i ran vs a guy from my class 01 Cobra with vortech s/c and hes putting down 430 to wheels and i actually pulled him off the line till about the 1/8th then he shot past me lol he did a 13.3 with a 2.4 60'. I ran in summer the the 2.1 it was august on a muggy day 13.9 1/4 mile with the stock gears launching at 2000-2500 in that range.

Let me know.

·
Banned
918 Posts
Actually fatter tires isn't really going to help.

What he needs are a taller Drag Radial. People assume that because a tire is wider, it will hook better. The truth is that tire still has no sidewall flex under launch and thus allows the tire to give elsewhere, the bottom. A taller tire allows the tire to flex, keeping the tread on the pavement giving you that traction.

A set of Bart 15x8 wheels with a 5.5" Backspacing and BFG 275/50R15 DR's will drop that time tremendously.

·
Registered
487 Posts
dollarbill said:
On street tires you only need a little burn out to clean them off. I believe its all in the prep of the track. I baby mine off the line at about 1500 rpm most of the time. The best night I had, I had 3 60' in the 2.0 range using this method. I'll bet with good traction you could get a 13.5. Keep trying its fun ass practice!
I agree with dollarbill.....track prep has ALOT to do with it. I just posted my best 60 foot of 1.79 with 100 shot of n20 right out of the hole with 255/45/18 tires at Irwindale Raceway. I have to admit though, I have an automatic, which is WAY easier to launch then the manual....And the burnout I do is just briefly through first and second to get the water and crap off of the rear tires....

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to keep stock setup that means stock rims, i like to know what my car runs on a daily basis, so that means not swaping rims lol..i can not do drag radials because i cant afford being a student to be paying for new tires ever 3 months, i drive about 800 miles a month.
Anyhow lets see next year when track reopens and i go to track again after my TB/Plenum Swap and dyno tune.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Im betting with some practice you can get that 60' down a good bit. Maybe 1000 RPM and half throttle launches would get you a litle better time. I somewhat agree with Blackfang, wider tires aren't the greatest answer, but they will help. Since yours is a daily driver and money is a big factor, next time you get tires, go to a 265 if you can swing the cash.

·
Banned
918 Posts
carguy1985 said:
I want to keep stock setup that means stock rims, i like to know what my car runs on a daily basis, so that means not swaping rims lol..i can not do drag radials because i cant afford being a student to be paying for new tires ever 3 months, i drive about 800 miles a month.
Anyhow lets see next year when track reopens and i go to track again after my TB/Plenum Swap and dyno tune.
Actually these combo is under 300 for it all(wheels from summit and tires from tirerack).

Honestly, then why are you spending money to mod the car and race it? If you can not financially support your hobby, It might be best to stay out of it for a while. Just something to think about.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
blackfang said:
Actually fatter tires isn't really going to help.

What he needs are a taller Drag Radial. People assume that because a tire is wider, it will hook better. The truth is that tire still has no sidewall flex under launch and thus allows the tire to give elsewhere, the bottom. A taller tire allows the tire to flex, keeping the tread on the pavement giving you that traction.

A set of Bart 15x8 wheels with a 5.5" Backspacing and BFG 275/50R15 DR's will drop that time tremendously.
If fatter tires really don`t help , why did you say 275 , aren`t they fatter then a stock 245 !

My falt I never specified what kind of tire , I just said a fatter tire , because it will help !

carguy get yourself some meaty DR`s

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Maybe he saves up what he can and does what he can afford. No need to start bashing on guys who are working on tight budgets.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BlueStreak03 said:
Maybe he saves up what he can and does what he can afford. No need to start bashing on guys who are working on tight budgets.
Thanks bluestreak, Blackfang please dont reply to my posts you are very ignorant and i dont want to really talk anymore after the this and the gear thread.

I am student, dont mean students dont like to mod there cars. Plus its also part of the fun to get one thing at a time, other wise id be saying HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT I RAN WITH MY BORED or STROKED , CAMMED, FORGED, 15PSI S/Cerwith 373s or 390s (although knowing you it be more like 6.30s). Like i said and this will be like 2nd or 3rd time, i want to keep a stock apperence not have some BART 15inch wheels, that dont have there place on a new style mustang. Perhaps a older muscle car era mustang but not a new style.

All i stated in begining or intended to was to say i was little let down wiht the 13.8 iwanted at least 13.6. And i had already thought about some nittor 555's.

Thanks to all others though

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
245/45/17 Sumitomo HTRZ II tires.
Those are about as good as it gets for a street tire.

Wait for a little warmer weather and I'd bet you'll reach your goal.

Z rated rubber likes warmer temps and will stick much better. :eyepoppin

·
Banned
918 Posts
ran260gt said:
If fatter tires really don`t help , why did you say 275 , aren`t they fatter then a stock 245 !

My falt I never specified what kind of tire , I just said a fatter tire , because it will help !

carguy get yourself some meaty DR`s
See, you are just replying and not READING nor knowing a thing about the basics of tires. I gave a drag radial size of 275/50r15. Yes its 30 mm wider, but what you fail to know is that is also a much taller tire than stock. Yes it is slightly wider but it is alot taller and will give that sidewall flex it needs. That height aka aspect ratio is 50% the width of the 275 which is known as section width. Which is better than 45% of a 245 wide tire. It allows a much greater flex and allow much better traction and will significantly drop the 60 foot..

Thanks bluestreak, Blackfang please dont reply to my posts you are very ignorant and i dont want to really talk anymore after the this and the gear thread.
Sorry, you must got me confused with someone who gives a crap that you are upset.

Looks like you are still upset that you think anything more than 3.73's are not safe. Then again, you really didn't explain anything. You talked about revving to 6250 all the time and needing cams, when I simply said its the redline in some GT's. Not to mention you compared it to a 300 shot driving around town doesnt say much for your understanding of the issue either. Not like I never had 3.73's in a GT I owned.

That's ok Whenever you need help I won't bother to answer your post.

I will take my ignorance where people who realize that with drag racing and wanting to run some great times, stock tires and rims wont cut it. Sorry, but you can't run them with stock wheels and tires and need to get an extra set of wheels to acheive a goal and not show stubborness. Then again, my ignorance didn't make up this thread asking why I have a bad time and being disappointed.

BTW, I have seen Nic (a moderator that used to be here back in the day)w/ his stock 2002 GT with just a 275/50R15 Drag radial pull a 13.5 ET and all he did was swap out back wheels.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I can attest to the Z rubber wanting warmer temps. We just put Eagle F1 GS-D3's on the rear of ours and at first I was unimpressed because it was fairly cold. The other day I got on some pavement that the sun had warmed almost all day and WOW! What a difference.

·
Banned
918 Posts
When I get into on my cobra I can feel the tires spinning from 4000 to 7000 when its a little cold.

·
Banned
918 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
I can attest to the Z rubber wanting warmer temps. We just put Eagle F1 GS-D3's on the rear of ours and at first I was unimpressed because it was fairly cold. The other day I got on some pavement that the sun had warmed almost all day and WOW! What a difference.
I sold a set for around 180 a tire for a buddies Mach one and he loves them, also says the same thing regarding cold weather.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know what thats fine, good for nic, but i dont want to be switching tires everytime i am going to the track. I could do this from the begining when i just had a simple catback, you dont think i know a small wheel is better for drags i have had offers for free 15inch wheel off my buddies older mustang so could put some drags but i dont wanna switch them, i also know thats why the dragsters use like 16inch wheel with tires that the wallon the tires wrinkle for max trac., but you have to understand thats also a negative on handling because at the same time the tire will bow and bend durning hard cornering and what not because the side wall is very limber. thats why you get a more rough of a ride in a performance car than a sedan because they are built for handling too and there for have bigger wheels, a perfect example is my fathers G35 6mt coupe, that sob takes bumps like a race car it has 245/40/18s and it will take a corner at 60 like nothing and it wouldnt do that if it didnt have a larger diameter wheel with some mich pilot sports. Anyhow im sorry we arent all like you blackfang, we all dont have a ......1997 Cobra #3346
K&N, Flowtech LT's, H pipe, Magnaflow dumps, Steeda shifter, FRPP aluminum d/s, Lakewood d/s loop, FRPP 4.30 gears, HPM SFC's, Weld Prostars w/ BFG Drag Radials, SCT Tune by Missippi Motorsports, FRPP 9mm wires, Brembo/Hawk brakes,Raptor Shiftlight
Coming...o/r x, Mcleod D/F clutch,billet flywheel,Eibach/Strange suspension,Nitrous Express, and
Another LS1 Z/28(cam and spray)

like i said earlier one of my races was a guy form my class with his 01 Cobra stock 355 gears witha Vortech S/Cer and the group i said that i had him almost till 3/4 way down because how i pulled on him, now obviously his upper end with the supercharger compensated his launch.

P.S. I love racing people like you withthere 410s + and we are running on the high way and i look to the side and i see them slowing down or just staying the same rate because they have such steep gears that they went past there peak HP and TQ and they have no wear else to go but to back it off .

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.