Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it can be done!

But ... it's not simple.

How-to coming. I'm totally swamped this week, but I'll get it together when I can. I have this How-to and the CS Valance Fog How-to to make as well.

Finished product.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Very nice, looks just like it came from the factory with the sensors in it! Looking forward to your how-to writeup.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
WANT, WANT, WANT!

Looks great!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks great! I've had this question lingering for quite some time and a thread was started a while ago that didn't amount to much. I may consider doing this depending on your writeup and experiences.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well, my diffuser arrived in the mail quicker than expected. AM still says out of stock, but I got shipped one anyway. Time to hit the parts department at my dealership to get the sensor mounting rings.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Where's the write-up?! lol

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sparky, any progress with the how-to at all? I may be tackling this on my own Mustang this weekend provided the sensor retainer mounts that I ordered arrive by then.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the delay, I've been in demand lately.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GT500 Rear Diffuser with Reverse Sensor Install
PART 1 - Diffuser Preparation

Tool List:
  • Painter's masking tape
  • Measuring tape (dimensions given here are mainly metric)
  • Pencil
  • Automatic centerpunch
  • Set square
  • Drill
  • 3/16" drill bit
  • 28mm holesaw (installation spec size); OR
  • 1-1/16" holesaw
  • hacksaw blade or thin jeweller's file
  • an assistant to help you measure (this assistant need not actually be a tool though)
Part List:
  • GT500 Diffuser Ford Part# AR3Z-17F828-AA
  • (4) Sensor Mounting Rings Ford Part# CR3Z-15A862-AA
Procedure:

It's not rocket science, but you have to be careful. You're going to spend anywhere from $120-$200 for the diffuser depending on your source, and if you're careless you'll either have a paperweight or a dog's breakfast. So some starter tips:
  • Measure twice (or three times, or four) and cut once! I cannot stress this enough.
  • Get some help. Holding the tape measure, supporting the diffuser while you drill, getting you beer. The diffuser flexes easy and if you go solo expect frustration at best and a goof up at worst.
  • The diffuser plastic is soft and easy to nick. So cover where you want to mark with masking tape, don't use a pencil right on the plastic (yes, a pencil will marr it) and always mind where the end of your drill is.
  • When you're drilling the holes, be gentlle and firm. You want to CUT the plastic, not snag it by rushing or burn it by rubbing it.
Ok, take your diffuser and put it on a soft surface like a blanket or carpet to start to do the measurements. For you imperial guys, this is your chance, because after this it's metric measurements.

Look at the license plate pocket, you'll see two dimple marks for the plate. They are 7" apart. This means that dead center of the diffuser is in the middle, 3-1/2" from either hole. Using a carpenter's square on the top edge of the diffuser, carry a pencil line down over the surface as a datum line (remember, on masking tape not the plastic!)

Now notice here the horizontal "crease" in the diffuser. Because the diffuser isn't flat, it's good to have a surface to measure along so that the distance is the same on each side (because the diffuser will flex and change the measurement if you go straight). So measure along this line:

Next, lay out the centers of the sensors, These are the dimensions:

Check, check, double check!

Now that you're willing to bet your life that you've measured correctly, centerpunch the holes and drill the 3/16 pilot holes. Before we go to the holesaw, let's get a feel for the rings and what we're trying to accomplish:

The mount rings are held in place on the diffuser by the shoulder on the outside and two little tabs on the inside. When you slide the sensor into the ring it'll keep those two tabs pushed out. On one side of the ring there is a "key" that you will need to cut into the diffuser to keep the ring from spinning.

Ok, now drill the 1-1/16" or 28mm holes. I went with 1-1/16" because it's a little more snug (ie 27mm). Easy does it on the drilling. Carefully trim off any excess flash on the backside of the holes:

Now that you've drilled for the rings, make note of how the rings are oriented on your stock diffuser. The "thinner" side is up. You need to do the same. Look at your sensor ring, make note of which side the "key" is on. You will now use a hacksaw blade or file to notch the diffuser for the keys. Don't go nutso with the saw. Remember the plastic is soft and you only need a tiny notch. The inside two sensore are easy, they're perfectly horizontal. But the outside two sensors are angled slightly outboard (if you look at the stock diffuser you'll see what I'm talking about), so make the notch accordingly:

That's it! Push the rings into the diffuser, key in notch, and push the two tabs outward to lock them in. Crack a beer and get ready to tackle the diffuser install ....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GT500 Rear Diffuser with Reverse Sensor Install
PART 2 - Diffuser Installation

Now, here I'm going to cheat a little. Roush has a perfectly good install procedure published already, and this is what you will need to follow. I will point out the few differences between the Roush install and this install. Yes, this means pulling the rear bumper, but really, it's not that bad. I know some people out there have changed their rear valance without pulling the rear bumper, and that's great. Just be aware that the sensors are $90 apiece and if you snap a connector fumbling around blind it's on you and you'll deserve a big fat "I told you so". :nono:

Here are the Roush installation instructions:

http://store.roushperformance.com/images/manuals/420009_manual.pdf

Notes (Steps and Figures refer to the Roush instructions):

1. Get Help!! This is not a 1 man job, have a few soft rags and masking tape handy! Always, always, always be mindful of the bumper riding up onto the quarter, the clips will scratch your paint. I found it best to jam a rag between the body and the bumper after I got it partially detached..
  2. For some reason, the Roush directions make no note of the two stabilizing flaps, one on either side under the diffuser. (The frail-looking extensions on either side of the middle part with the W-clips, Figure 7) They're held on by two pushpins (one for each) you'll need to extract.
  3. The sensors are attached to the same loom as your marker lights in the bumper. So when you undo the loom in Step 4 (Figure 3) you're also disconnecting the sensors.
  4. At Step 18 (now that the bumper is off), before you separate the bumper and the stock diffuser, unclip the sensors from the stock mounting rings. The sensors just clip in on either side and you can extract them by gently prying out on the ears on either side.
  5. At Step 23, insert the sensors into their corresponding mount rings.
  6. When you remount the bumper, you're going to have to guide those flaps I talked about in (2) to the proper place and reinsert the pins.
And that's it. After you've got everything back together, make sure you test the sensors. They do work with the car off but key on in reverse, make sure you have no dead spots that could point to a loose sensor connection.

Good luck!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Nice job Sparky and really professional how-to guide. :bigthumbsup

I kinda wish I would have ordered the back-up sensors now, thought I wouldn't need them with the backup camera, but they would have been a nice compliment to the camera for the lighting situations where you can't see it (like most maneuvers in bright sunlight).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sweet, this is much appreciated Sparky. I had already ordered the mounting rings and will pick them up later today or tomorrow from the dealership. Looks like I'll be attempting this on Saturday.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Thanks a lot for this write-up. It'll be most helpful when I can fund my future purchase.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sensor mounting rings are in place on my diffuser. Took a lot more work than I thought it was going to. 1 1/16" or 28mm hole saw are not easy to come by around here (or at least at the Home Depot we went to find one), so I made due with a 1" hole saw and filed it down until everything fit. The top of the mounting rings was not sitting flush after I got them in, so my friend figured out that if we placed a small piece of metal in between the top clip and the diffuser that it would fit much more snugly and that seems to work. I'll post a pic of that later.

Anyway, the rain moved in quicker here than anticipated, so my friend and I only got the holes drilled and mounting rings installed. Will try and get the diffuser on my Mustang sometime next week.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 1/16" or 28mm hole saw are not easy to come by around here (or at least at the Home Depot we went to find one)
Too late for you but either a real tool place or an electrical supply place would be a good place. I'm an electrician so I had that size already (3/4" rigid conduit knockout size)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Too late for you but either a real tool place or an electrical supply place would be a good place. I'm an electrician so I had that size already (3/4" rigid conduit knockout size)
Yeah, I knew if I looked hard enough I could find one, but I elected to live dangerously and tried the best I could with the tools that were easy to find. I might be able to clean it up nicer with a step drill bit, we'll see. Things are already fitting quite nicely right now, so I'm reluctant to mess with it more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts