Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t own a gauge (yet) so Idk how much fuel pressure I’m getting but the little pressure gauge that is on the line reads 32. The car just started giving me some troubles at start up after it’s been sitting over night or while I’m at work so I’m leaning towards a fuel problem. The engine and fuel system were replaced about 40k miles ago and I can hear the pump prime when I turn the key over but it will only start when I pump on the peddle when I turn the ignition. Yesterday it took about 10 minutes and when it finally started my low coolant light was on. What else could keep a 95 mustang from starting?

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
What is more likely, the fuel is draining back to the tank requiring the fuel pump to push it back up to the injectors.... with the fuel pump itself being the issue but IMHO, I would look for codes 1st...…….. and borrow a fuel psi gauge to check and see what is really going on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn’t get any codes last week but I’ll try again this weekend. Maybe I’ll buy a harbor freight gauge to check it out. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I didn’t get any codes last week but I’ll try again this weekend. Maybe I’ll buy a harbor freight gauge to check it out. Thank you.
I bought a harbor fright gauge. It worked a few times before it quit working.
The motor stays running once it’s running?

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,218 Posts
I don’t own a gauge (yet) so Idk how much fuel pressure I’m getting but the little pressure gauge that is on the line reads 32. The car just started giving me some troubles at start up after it’s been sitting over night or while I’m at work so I’m leaning towards a fuel problem. The engine and fuel system were replaced about 40k miles ago and I can hear the pump prime when I turn the key over but it will only start when I pump on the peddle when I turn the ignition. Yesterday it took about 10 minutes and when it finally started my low coolant light was on. What else could keep a 95 mustang from starting?
When you say "the little pressure gauge on the line",you mean the Schrader Valve, correct? The next time you attempt startup & it fails to start immediately,cycle the key on for a couple seconds then off then cycle the key like this for a total of 4-5 times then attempt startup again.If it starts,thats an indication the fuel pump is weak.When you cycle the key it allows a weak pump to gradually build up pressure in the lines and fuel rail.If this cycling of the key doesn't work,try holding the pedal to the floor while turning the key to start.After a few seconds of doing this,release the pedal while you continue cranking the engine.If it starts,this indicates something is causing an engine flood condition and once you do the floored pedal routine,this clears the excess fuel out of the engine which allows it to start.A engine flood condition is normally caused by 1 of 3 things.A leaking fuel pressure regulator,a leaking injector or a defective ect sensor.If the tests above don't work,hold the pedal 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down while turning the key to start.If it starts up using this routine, this normally indicates the ect sensor is bad.A bad ect usually outputs a reading that indicates the coolant temp is too low,which triggers a fuel trim way too rich.What pressing the pedal down 1/4-1/3 of the way does (while cranking) is it allows additional air to enter the engine through the now open throttle blade and this additional air thats now combined with the rich fuel mixture allows the engine to start.Another test you should do is check residual fuel pressure once the key is turned off.So turn the koeo,record pressure,turn the key off,wait 60 seconds then record pressure again.Does pressure drop more than 5psi in that 60 second time period? If yes,you'll have to grab a rag and a pair of vice grips then use them to pinch a soft section of the fuel line closed near the passenger valve cover. Once pinched,run the same pressure test that you did above to see if the pressure still drops or not.
IF IT DOES still drop,the fuel pump check valve is bad,the S hose is leaking or the fuel pump hanger is leaking inside the tank.
IF IT DOESN'T still drop,the fuel pressure regulator is leaking or a injector is leaking.
When a regulator leaks,fuel seeps out of its vacuum port and/or the vacuum hose will be wet inside.

The low coolant light just means the coolant level in the reservoir bottle is low and needs to be filled to the appropriate line on the bottle.If the coolant level is fine,this usually indicates the low coolant sensor is bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome advice! Thank you!
Yess, the car stays running but I have to hold the rpm for a while that it doesn’t turn off. After that, it’s good to go until parked and the engine gets cold again.

Yes, I’m taking about schrader valve. I’ll definitely try those techniques, if it’s not too late. The car sat for 2 days and wouldn’t start this morning. I tuned the key about 10 times and even pumped the pedal a few and got nothing. The pump did sound a little different after I primed it the fifth time. I’ll check for codes once I get the car back into my garage. It rolled out the garage and I couldn’t roll it back in

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome advice! Thank you!
Yess, the car stays running but I have to hold the rpm for a while that it doesn’t turn off. After that, it’s good to go until parked and the engine gets cold again.

Yes, I’m taking about schrader valve. I’ll definitely try those techniques, if it’s not too late. The car sat for 2 days and wouldn’t start this morning. I tuned the key about 10 times and even pumped the pedal a few and got nothing. The pump did sound a little different after I primed it the fifth time. I’ll check for codes once I get the car back into my garage. It rolled out the garage and I couldn’t roll it back in

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a small gauge that already came attached to the fuel line. Maybe a 225 lph fuel pump is not good for a daily. That spec clutch didn’t last for crap.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,218 Posts
It sounds like youve already got a fuel pressure gauge attached to the Schrader valve,so dont worry about buying a gauge.
If the engine is mainly stock,a 255lph pump is more than you need,but it shouldn't cause startup or running issues & it definitely shouldn't cause 32psi of pressure,unless something is wrong with it.It would be much more likely to create a rich condition & high pressure vs the opposite.To make sure the pump or another component isnt causing a flooding condition,hold the pedal to the floor while you try to start it & see if that allows it to start.If crank speed seems to increase after a few seconds of cranking,let up on the pedal while you continue cranking.Using this method should allow it to start,if a engine flood condition is occurring.
KOEO= 35-45psi
KOER= 30-40psi

To verify if its fuel related only,pull the small breather tube off the throttle body (the tube that runs between the oil filler neck on the valve cover & the little elbow port on the throttle body) spray starting fluid or carb cleaner directly into the port on the throttle body,reconnect the tube then attempt to do a startup.If it starts & runs for a few seconds then dies or continues to run without issue once started,its fuel related.If it doesn't start at all,its spark related.If you find that you're lacking both fuel and spark,the pip sensor is the most likely cause.It supplies the pulse to the ecu that triggers spark & injector pulse. To verify its presence,you can disconnect one of the harness plugs from any injector, plug a noid light or test light (use a paperclip inserted into one of the plug terminals to attach the test light clip to) into the plug terminals then crank the engine while observing the light.It should flash repetitively

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Geez! Who are you and how do you know so much?! No Offense to anyone else but you have provided me with so much valuable information, more than anyone ever has in all my years of surfing the web for mustang advice. I post on several forums and have never received responses like yours. Thank you!
That being said, I sprayed some carb cleaner in the TB and it started right up (the 2nd time) the previous owner wanted to make this a turbo car but didn’t go all the way but he did manage to up grade the pump and switched to #24 injectors. I’m not sure If it runs rich as he gave it to me with an OR pipe but there are times where I smell like exhaust, a little more than others. I guess the aftermarket pump is going out. I’m not sure how much it cost but I’m sure it cost more than a factory unit and to have it go out after 40k miles, it seems like a waste of money. Will I be ok if I replace it with a factory unit?

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Geez! Who are you and how do you know so much?! No Offense to anyone else but you have provided me with so much valuable information, more than anyone ever has in all my years of surfing the web for mustang advice. I post on several forums and have never received responses like yours. Thank you!
That being said, I sprayed some carb cleaner in the TB and it started right up (the 2nd time) the previous owner wanted to make this a turbo car but didn’t go all the way but he did manage to up grade the pump and switched to #24 injectors. I’m not sure If it runs rich as he gave it to me with an OR pipe but there are times where I smell like exhaust, a little more than others. I guess the aftermarket pump is going out. I’m not sure how much it cost but I’m sure it cost more than a factory unit and to have it go out after 40k miles, it seems like a waste of money. Will I be ok if I replace it with a factory unit?
I don’t think it’s the pump. 32 psi is good. If you take the vacuum line off of the regulator while it’s running it should jump up to around 40 psi. Also, generally a car with a bad pump won’t idle or drive very long. How about the fuel pressure regulator? Pull the little vacuum line off of then regulator and see you can see any gas coming out. It should be dry.
The 255 lph pump isn’t hurting really since we have a return style fuel system. The gas that isn’t used returns to the tank. They run around $100. The 24# injectors on the other hand might be working against you if it doesn’t have an aftermarket mass air meter and or tune. For what it’s worth, 24#’ers aren’t large enough for turbo applications.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
It sounds like youve already got a fuel pressure gauge attached to the Schrader valve,so dont worry about buying a gauge.
If the engine is mainly stock,a 255lph pump is more than you need,but it shouldn't cause startup or running issues & it definitely shouldn't cause 32psi of pressure,unless something is wrong with it.It would be much more likely to create a rich condition & high pressure vs the opposite.To make sure the pump or another component isnt causing a flooding condition,hold the pedal to the floor while you try to start it & see if that allows it to start.If crank speed seems to increase after a few seconds of cranking,let up on the pedal while you continue cranking.Using this method should allow it to start,if a engine flood condition is occurring.
KOEO= 35-45psi
KOER= 30-40psi

To verify if its fuel related only,pull the small breather tube off the throttle body (the tube that runs between the oil filler neck on the valve cover & the little elbow port on the throttle body) spray starting fluid or carb cleaner directly into the port on the throttle body,reconnect the tube then attempt to do a startup.If it starts & runs for a few seconds then dies or continues to run without issue once started,its fuel related.If it doesn't start at all,its spark related.If you find that you're lacking both fuel and spark,the pip sensor is the most likely cause.It supplies the pulse to the ecu that triggers spark & injector pulse. To verify its presence,you can disconnect one of the harness plugs from any injector, plug a noid light or test light (use a paperclip inserted into one of the plug terminals to attach the test light clip to) into the plug terminals then crank the engine while observing the light.It should flash repetitively
I thought 30+ at idle w/ the vac line connected was “good.” Or are you saying that it shouldn’t prime to 32 psi?
OP was the motor running when you saw 32 psi?

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I just had this thought. Since he has an aftermarket gauge on the rail odds are he has an aftermarket adjustable regulator. It’s also plausible that the adjustable regulator was added to try and “tune” it for the 24’s without a calibrated MAF.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,218 Posts
I thought 30+ at idle w/ the vac line connected was “good.”

Yeah 30+psi KOER (key on engine running) is good & its within the range (30-40psi) I listed in post #10.Pressure is usually lower with the engine running (at idle) vs with the engine off & the key on because of the vacuum supply being sent to the regulator.As seen in the diagram at the bottom,a spring is what keeps the valve seated,to prevent fuel from returning to the tank to keep pressure normal.A vacuum hose is connected.Vacuum lowers the amount of fuel pressure needed to overcome the spring pressure that keeps the valve closed.IOW- when vacuum is present at the regulator,fuel pressure will decrease.When pressure,like boost,is present at the regulator vacuum port,fuel pressure will increase from the amount of boost being created.
IOW - if the SC is putting out 8psi,8 additional pounds of force will be applied to the valve,so fuel pressure will go up.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,218 Posts
I wouldn't replace the pump just yet.I wasnt aware you had 24lb injectors.If the po replaced the injectors without either replacing the maf sensor with one calibrated to match those injectors or dropping a chip in the ecu to match those injectors,it will cause the engine to run rich,since the ecu is programmed to run 19lb injectors from the factory.Pulling a couple spark plugs to see if theyre wet from fuel or covered in soot, might id just how rich of a condition the injectors are creating.You definately need to check the regulator and its vacuum hose for fuel and run the residual fuel pressure test,listed in post #5 to make sure pressure isnt being loss as soon as the key is turned off,which can be a sign that the pump check valve is bad or the regulator or a injector is leaking.

You can use the following method to manually trigger the fuel pump to run.
Locate the diagnostic port on the passenger strut tower.Grab a jumper wire and insert one end of it into the Fuel Pump trigger terminal on the port and connect the other end to a good ground or the neg battery terminal.Turn the key on and the fuel pump should begin running constantly.If it does, attempt a startup.Does it start and continue running?? BTW- when the engine does start and run,have you taken it for a drive so you could put a good load on the pump like accelerating rapidly,going full throttle or climbing steep hills to test the pumps ability??This is when a weak pump will normally show its face.You can run a cylinder balance test to possibly pinpoint a leaking or suspect injector.

Speaking of info you mentioned learning in this thread,the following link has quite a bit of valuable info about the ecu to injector to maf sensor calibration plus much much more efi info.
http://www.thehotrodgarage.net/mustang_efi.html

The diagram below details the FP trigger terminal location.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I thought 30+ at idle w/ the vac line connected was “good.”

Yeah 30+psi KOER (key on engine running) is good & its within the range (30-40psi) I listed in post #10.Pressure is usually lower with the engine running (at idle) vs with the engine off & the key on because of the vacuum supply being sent to the regulator.As seen in the diagram at the bottom,a spring is what keeps the valve seated,to prevent fuel from returning to the tank to keep pressure normal.A vacuum hose is connected.Vacuum lowers the amount of fuel pressure needed to overcome the spring pressure that keeps the valve closed.IOW- when vacuum is present at the regulator,fuel pressure will decrease.When pressure,like boost,is present at the regulator vacuum port,fuel pressure will increase from the amount of boost being created.
IOW - if the SC is putting out 8psi,8 additional pounds of force will be applied to the valve,so fuel pressure will go up.
I wasn’t sure if he sees 32 psi with the engine running or just the key on.
Would could an adjustable regulator cause high pressure priming? Or only when running?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have an OBD I scanner and it tests the pump, at least i think it does because I hear it click when it does it’s test. When I got it up and running yesterday, I took it for a 10min and drove it like a stole it and all was well. I wanted to get it to operating temp to hopefully obtain some codes but my scanner was dead. I’ll get new batteries today. The previous owner did a pretty good job building this car so it is running matching, upgraded, calibrated parts that were included in the SCT chip. I’m running a factory style regulator that doesn’t leak gas when running and I disconnect the vacuum. I also don’t believe that the pressure changed much on the regulator but I don’t recall. I’ll check again.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,218 Posts
I wasn’t sure if he sees 32 psi with the engine running or just the key on.
Would could an adjustable regulator cause high pressure priming? Or only when running?
Good point.Im not sure why I was thinking it was a fuel pressure reading he took with the key on engine running vs key on engine off?? Assuming again I guess.After revisiting my Chiltons manual,it actually lists the fuel pressure specs as being:
KOEO= 35-40psi
KOER= 30-45psi

I would think that if the fuel pump was weak, cycling the key a few times would build enough pressure to at least allow the engine to start,even if it stalls a second or two after firing up.He also stated that it seems to run fine after it runs for a few minutes,by him feathering the gas pedal to help it stay running.Im wondering if the iac is either not opening or if the ect sensor is defective?? Plus,the ect sensor has a big affect on when the iac opens and closes.When the engine is not up to operating temp,like during cold start & before the ecu goes into closed loop mode, the iac should be fully open.If not,the engine will immediately stall before it even fires up.TheHowever if you keep the throttle open a little during this time,the engine will normally run ok until it warms up enough to run on its own.Once it is warm,the ecu normally begins closing the iac until its needed again.Another possibility that could be related to the ect sensor is an overly rich condition being created by the combination of two things: a suspect ect sensor + 24lb injectors that are already causing the engine to run on the rich side of the afr.When an efi engine is cold and first started,the ecu purposely richens the fuel mixture which helps keep the engine running,the same way a choke helps on the startup of a carbed application.When the ecu richens the mixture at cold start,its doing so with a programmed injector rating of 19lbs and with a ect sensor thats hopefully outputting a correct reading of true coolant temp,in the form of a voltage reading.However,if 24lb injectors are in place instead,the ecu has no way of knowing this,unless its been chipped with this info.Therefore,when the ecu pulses (injector on time) the 24lb injectors for the same amount of time as the 19lb injectors, the fuel output is gonna be greater so the mixture is gonna be richer.It stands to reason that more fuel is gonna be sprayed into the chambers than what the ecu is really aware of,especially since feedback from the o2 sensors is not present during cold start/ warmup mode.The ecu has to switch into closed loop mode before the o2's will be of any help.Now with that said,if the ect sensor is also suspect,it may add to the problem.It can fail either reading too high of a temp or too low.If it reads too warm,it will not only lean the fuel mixture at startup,but it'll also cause the iac valve to possibly not open at all,depending on how warm of a coolant temp it sends to the ecu.On the other hand,if the ect reads too cold of a temp,it will richen the fuel mixture possibly enough to prevent startup all together,especially since the fuel mixture is already on the rich side of the afr due to the additional fuel being added by the larger injectors.The ect can easily be ruled in/out by testing it with a meter while its cold and while its warm.The link at the bottom details the testing procedure.

The ecu is programmed to run the pump priming cycle for 2-5 seconds then shut the pump off.The pump wont run again until the ecu detects the pip sensor pulse (engine rotation during crank mode) or the key is turned off and cycled on again.So whatever pressure a adj fpr is set to,will be the pressure that the pump should prime the lines/rails to.I believe when you turn the adjustment screw to increase fuel pressure, it exerts additional force on the back (top) side of the fpr diaphragm which keeps the valve seated against the fuel outlet pipe (this pipe leads to the return line) so that pressure goes up.Once pressure builds up to this point then overcomes the force thats keeping the valve seated,it will force the diaphragm back up unseating the valve which will then allow any excess fuel to be returned back to the tank.When the fpr adjustment screw is turned to decrease pressure,less force is applied to the diaphragm so less fuel pressure is required to unseat the valve and return the excess fuel back to the tank.

ECT Codes 21/51/61 Troubleshooting

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,218 Posts
I have an OBD I scanner and it tests the pump, at least i think it does because I hear it click when it does it’s test. When I got it up and running yesterday, I took it for a 10min and drove it like a stole it and all was well. I wanted to get it to operating temp to hopefully obtain some codes but my scanner was dead. I’ll get new batteries today. The previous owner did a pretty good job building this car so it is running matching, upgraded, calibrated parts that were included in the SCT chip. I’m running a factory style regulator that doesn’t leak gas when running and I disconnect the vacuum. I also don’t believe that the pressure changed much on the regulator but I don’t recall. I’ll check again.
Apparently we were both typing at the same time.My previous post was based on the info listed prior to your last post (i.e.- your post Im quoting here)
Good to know about the chip.That removes the issues that would have been created due to the injectors/maf calibration that I mentioned in my previous post.So issues I mentioned related to that can be scratched since the chip should account for that.Just for future reference,either edit your profile with a signature that lists all your mods or list them in your first post.That way we'll know what youre working with,to better help you diagnose & repair the issue.Youll have to ask 90lxwhite,but I believe 94-95 models wont output codes unless they are causing the mil to be lit,when youve got a chip in place??I could be wrong,but I believe hes mentioned this before??
Since we now know about the chip,new suggestions might be listed or some of the previous ones might be removed,as far as trouble shooting goes.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts