Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was due for a state inspection and an oil change, so I took it in to a local dealer where I was working doing merchandising graphics.

They did the inspection, but said that the rear axle cover had a serious leak and that I should take it to the ford dealer ASAP.

The dealer I always take my car to (they replaced my trans once, and my clutch assembly once) said I can't bring it in till friday, but that it shouldn't be a problem.

I looked at it myself, and the axle on the passenger side of the diff is totally soaked with oil. The driver side is bone dry.

Is this something I should worry about driving? I'll put at least another 150 miles on it by friday (I drive quite a lot for work) and I'm worried it will be causing more damage.

·
Registered
644 Posts
You need to check oil to see how low it is. If not sure I would get them to tow in.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
is there any on the ground? that is when i would be worried. from what i have read, numerous people have said that some "seepage" is normal but i dunno

·
Registered
457 Posts
Are you sure it's the hog head cover? Sounds like a bad axle seal on the right rear. My '03 has a bad seal and it's coated the driver's side of the axle and the inside of the rim. I've been driving it on borrowed time until I can get it fixed, but you may want to park yours. I'd hate for you to have to replace the gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.