Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

So as the thread title suggests, I got some really horrible news that has just put a major set-back in my project... I took my 1990 n/a 2.3L coupe down to the local Canadian tire to get the front end aligned in hopes that it would help the fact that when I turn my steering wheel, it doesn't turn back by itself. What I got was this message from Canadian Tire: "Your mustang can not be aligned, please come pick it up!"... So naturally I was a little concerned.

I talked with the mechanic and he took me through all of the issues with the front end and it wasn't pretty people:weeps

Here's the list of front end suspension issues straight off of the costumer invoice and the replacement part prices from Piston Ring (E stands for economy part, P stands for premium part):

1) Stabalyzed link kits required - E = $7 each... P = $25 each
2) Tie rod ends are marginal and should be replaced - E = $22 each... P = $86 each
3) Right front lower ball joint marginal and should be replaced - E = $26 each... P = $122 each
4) Right front wheel bearing is loose - E = $15 each... P = $17 each

Also my front suspension is very squeaky due to the sticking shock mounts. In addition I tested my struts and shocks by pushing down on each corner of the car and seeing how it came back up and 3/4 are not in good shape... So here's some more suspension part prices:

5) Strut-mate mount kit - P = $65 each
6) Front struts - E = $93 each... P = $128 each
7) Rear shocks - E = $34 each... P = $90 each

I might want to add that most of the premium parts include lifetime warranties... So that's a +plus+.

So if I were to go the cheapo way of it and get parts that won't last all that long and with at most a 3 month or 1 year warranty: $524

Or if I get a real job:bigthumbsup and go with the performance parts with lifetime warranties: $1088

And then we have to include the time it takes to learn about and take apart the suspension and change all of these parts while lying on my crawler.

So anyway, I just thought that I would let you know my troubles... And don't think that this isn't the place for this post cause I will be asking a load of questions about how to take this stuff apart and put it back together properly soon enough. Just you wait!;)

Thanks for listening to me whine, and feel free to comment on this stuff so far as far as prices and junk goes...

Steve:frustrated::sosad::sosad::sosad::sosad:

·
Registered
563 Posts
dang man sorry to hear about that. =[

·
Registered
711 Posts
My car has the same problem. I was going to start with the front end next. Thanks for clarifying this. They told me the same thing when I went to an alignment shop.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car has the same problem. I was going to start with the front end next. Thanks for clarifying this. They told me the same thing when I went to an alignment shop.
Hey man, you know, I have a feeling that our vehicles have very similiar problems (suspension, air bag light, natural aspiration [lmao] etc)... I am thinking I should take a little 3 day drive down to Florida and we can fix our Stangs together... Sound good:happydance::happydance::happydance:? lmao:shigrin

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
90 those parts are a piece of cake to replace. The only thing that is hard is the BALL Joints. Sway bar ilnks EASY struts and upper plates piece of cake. Rear shocks totally easy. If you want to do some of it your self i will talk you through it. Even if you put the tie rods in wromg the car has to be aligned any way. Front end work on that car is easy. Let us know what gives.:bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tom... The chances are, for the price of the parts, I will be doing all of the work myself, so a little advice here and there will probably go a long way.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

I am going to look into quotes from stores other than Piston Ring and see what I can get my hands on.

You know, at first, when I first got the news and the mechanic showed me I had a big empty pit in my stomach that just ached of sadness and whoa... But then I remembered I have this site to come home to for guidance... It could actually be fun piecing the front end back together! (other than the pain in my wallet, lmao:hihi::hihi::hihi:)

Steve

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hey everybody,

So as the thread title suggests, I got some really horrible news that has just put a major set-back in my project... I took my 1990 n/a 2.3L coupe down to the local Canadian tire to get the front end aligned in hopes that it would help the fact that when I turn my steering wheel, it doesn't turn back by itself. What I got was this message from Canadian Tire: "Your mustang can not be aligned, please come pick it up!"... So naturally I was a little concerned.

I talked with the mechanic and he took me through all of the issues with the front end and it wasn't pretty people:weeps

Here's the list of front end suspension issues straight off of the costumer invoice and the replacement part prices from Piston Ring (E stands for economy part, P stands for premium part):

1) Stabalyzed link kits required - E = $7 each... P = $25 each
2) Tie rod ends are marginal and should be replaced - E = $22 each... P = $86 each
3) Right front lower ball joint marginal and should be replaced - E = $26 each... P = $122 each
4) Right front wheel bearing is loose - E = $15 each... P = $17 each

Also my front suspension is very squeaky due to the sticking shock mounts. In addition I tested my struts and shocks by pushing down on each corner of the car and seeing how it came back up and 3/4 are not in good shape... So here's some more suspension part prices:

5) Strut-mate mount kit - P = $65 each
6) Front struts - E = $93 each... P = $128 each
7) Rear shocks - E = $34 each... P = $90 each

I might want to add that most of the premium parts include lifetime warranties... So that's a +plus+.

So if I were to go the cheapo way of it and get parts that won't last all that long and with at most a 3 month or 1 year warranty: $524

Or if I get a real job:bigthumbsup and go with the performance parts with lifetime warranties: $1088

And then we have to include the time it takes to learn about and take apart the suspension and change all of these parts while lying on my crawler.

So anyway, I just thought that I would let you know my troubles... And don't think that this isn't the place for this post cause I will be asking a load of questions about how to take this stuff apart and put it back together properly soon enough. Just you wait!;)

Thanks for listening to me whine, and feel free to comment on this stuff so far as far as prices and junk goes...

Steve:frustrated::sosad::sosad::sosad::sosad:
tie rod ends are easy and so are the bearings shocks and sturts are also pruty easy hardest part is probably going to be the ball joint.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Check rockauto.com for parts and you should get KYB struts for that the premium price. Like Tom said install is easy Get a ball joint press from harber frieght toools they work good for the price

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check rockauto.com for parts and you should get KYB struts for that the premium price. Like Tom said install is easy Get a ball joint press from harber frieght toools they work good for the price
The KYB struts are apparently almost half the price of the premium ones that Piston Ring offered me. Rock auto also has the Sensa-trac load adjusting shocks for $30 less... Too bad shipping alone is $30, plus you have to account for currency exchange etc... In the end it probably isn't worth it unless I get everything from them.

My question: Are the KYB GR2 or KYB GAS-A-JUST ($35) better than the sensa-trac ones ($70)? Or are the latter far superior enough to be 2x the price?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hey man, you know, I have a feeling that our vehicles have very similiar problems (suspension, air bag light, natural aspiration [lmao] etc)... I am thinking I should take a little 3 day drive down to Florida and we can fix our Stangs together... Sound good:happydance::happydance::happydance:? lmao:shigrin
Thats a long trip from Canada. Lol. Anytime bud. It should be somewhat easy. I just found clamps made for closing the front springs so you can safely remove them without losing teeth. $8. The ball joints will be the hardest, but do like i'm doing and replace the whole A-arm with a tubular set from jegs or somewhere. Quicker and easier.

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You do realize that a tubular K-member is not a bolt and go deal right? If you just slap it in there and go you'll have more front end problems than you do now.

You've got to make double,triple, quadruple sure it's square to the rest of the chassis. It would be easier and cheaper to replace the factory components believe it or not.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You do realize that a tubular K-member is not a bolt and go deal right? If you just slap it in there and go you'll have more front end problems than you do now.

You've got to make double,triple, quadruple sure it's square to the rest of the chassis. It would be easier and cheaper to replace the factory components believe it or not.
:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsupThanks:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Gear Head
1,037 Posts
The KYB struts are apparently almost half the price of the premium ones that Piston Ring offered me. Rock auto also has the Sensa-trac load adjusting shocks for $30 less... Too bad shipping alone is $30, plus you have to account for currency exchange etc... In the end it probably isn't worth it unless I get everything from them.

My question: Are the KYB GR2 or KYB GAS-A-JUST ($35) better than the sensa-trac ones ($70)? Or are the latter far superior enough to be 2x the price?
I don't know if KYB shocks and struts are any better than the sensa-trac ones, but it seems to be what everyone uses on there fox body's. I'm thinking of getting the KYB shock and strut kit myself because like you 3/4 of my shocks and struts are gone. Try checking out cj pony parts you can get the KYB shock and strut kit for like $206.95 and if you order on Wednesdays shipping is free.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Mike KYB shocks are real good and much better than sensortracks. Monroe are stock replacements. :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup:so :so :so Mike love that little shifting DUDE icon:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know if KYB shocks and struts are any better than the sensa-trac ones, but it seems to be what everyone uses on there fox body's. I'm thinking of getting the KYB shock and strut kit myself because like you 3/4 of my shocks and struts are gone. Try checking out cj pony parts you can get the KYB shock and strut kit for like $206.95 and if you order on Wednesdays shipping is free.:bigthumbsup
Thanks Mike, I will look into cj pony... I will probably be going with the KYB's (thanks Tom) and I can get them for $230 here at Direct auto. When I went to Direct, I got a quote and saved $300 on all of those parts:D:D:D!!! And $25 more if I order from cj on a Wednesday, lol.

I do have one question though: I am confused about the wheel bearings because when I got the quotes, the piston ring one said that there were 2 seperate wheel bearing quotes ($32 and $29) but didn't give any expanations on if they were the same or different wheel bearings. And then, from Direct auto, it has a "Front outer bearing set" and a "Front inner bearing set". Are there 2 seperate bearings that I would need to buy? And is that I have to push them together or something? I am sorry for my extreme lack of knowledge of suspension :laugh:.

Thanks, Steve

·
Gear Head
1,037 Posts
Mike KYB shocks are real good and much better than sensortracks. Monroe are stock replacements. :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup:so :so :so Mike love that little shifting DUDE icon:bigthumbsup
Thanks I thought it was cool.:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.