Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 97 GT last week in SC and it has x pipe with no cats. I went to have it inspected today in NC where I live and the bank 1 sensor 2 reading is zero. The other three read properly. The mechanic there said it may be bad wire from the computer. I was told by a friend to put a MIL eliminator kit on it and it will clear the codes to pass. Any truth to this?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just took my 96 thru inspection. I got a code involving my canister purge solenoid which i'm changing. It was beginning to idle a bid odd and I think that's the cause. I also got a code involving the O2sensor. Bank1 Sensor1. So I know it's one of the o2 sensors before the cat convertor. I don't know which one and they're $75. each. I don't want to change both if I don't have to. I've changed them on other cars. I think that running with them bad is a bad move. I believe there is a way to test them. So I would look that up and test your sensor. Sometimes they are disconnected or blocked up. But o2 sensors are a bit fragile. if you screw around with them too much you break them and have to change them anyway. If anybody knows a way to tell which sensor I'd appreciate the input. The book lists them as being in the motor on the manifold, but i actually think you have to get under the car to deal with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok I just looked at another site. It says Bank1 Sensor1 refers to before cat, drivers side.
I just realized you've removed the cats. I don't know how that will affect the reading. Here in NJ you won't pass inspection without cats. You won't even pass if they're hollowed out anymore.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Guilford County NC doesn't do emissions testing and as long as you don't get a MIL, some inspectors won't even look for the cats. That appears to be the case for you man. Put some MIL eliminators on the rear O2 sensors and reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. You should be good to go after that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed the MIL eliminators and cleared the check engine light. I drove 37 miles and the darn thing came back on. I seem to think this may be something in the computer or a bad wire on the right rear o2 sensor. Any more suggestions?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
See what code it's throwing now, might not be the same thing again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.